Working as a teaching assistant or as an English teaching administrator

macanello

Just a question for the knowldegeable ones out there.

I am, at present, living in Sakon nakorn province in some one horse town.

last week the director of the local school came down hard on the foreign language department as results for his school in the English ONET exams were poor.

He got irate and now has ordered all foreign teachers to get a non B visa, a work permit, a teacher's licence and a tax number. (yes even here in the middle of nowhere).

Another local school has done the same but has also changed their teachers positions to be one of assistants and presently these teachers are in the middle of getting their paperwork processed.

What I would like to know; Is this possible to do? and is it legal?

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Mackatwijan

Sorry I forgot to mention that the school changed the position of their teachers to one of assistant/administrator because none of their teachers has a degree. They have HND in Business Administration and a Celta as well as 20 years experience in teaching EFL.

He got irate and now has ordered all foreign teachers to get a non B visa, a work permit, a teacher's licence and a tax number. (yes even here in the middle of nowhere).

Non-O would be okay as well, but not a tourist visa, or ed. A work permit should be mandatory, then the provisional TL. The tax will start once you've received a work permit.

Why should the location be an exception? It's up to the labor department, as you'll bypass the Khurusapha ( Teacher's Council of Thailand)

It is not really legal, as your new job description doesn't say teaching English to xxxxx students, but you obviously do so.

What they're doing isn't really legal, as it's trying to circumvent the law by disguising a teacher as something else.

When my old school tried to do the same for one of our teachers, they managed to get a work permit without any problems, however when they went to Immigration, and I went with them to do my 90 day report at the same time, the Thai immigration officer said in Thai to the school staff member with us "Two other schools have tried to do this this week. What you're trying to do is illegal, and I am a police officer", with an inference that the school staff member should then get up and leave. That was after he had already talked to the school's head of department who tried to smooth talk him.

To the teacher, he explained that a trainer only works for a short period of time, not for an entire year, otherwise they should be classified as a teacher instead.

With that in mind however, I have heard that this has worked at other immigration offices.

• Like 2

last week the director of the local school came down hard on the foreign language department as results for his school in the English ONET exams were poor.

I don't think the measures are related to the poor ONET tests.

What the school has been doing is illegal and the director is feeling pressure from the Educational Service Area of MOE or MOE in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. I thought this would be illegal but try telling this to directors of schools in the sticks. They will have no teachers come the next term if something isn't done to relax the laws.

I fully agree that people should be qualified to teach English but to have a degree to teach conversation is irrational. Hopefully the Junta will understand no graduate is going to come to Thailand in order to make 550 pounds a month. They have good teachers here but they don't qualify for a TCT or work permit. It's a dilemma.

I am talking about native speakers. They have, however, a massive presence of Cameroonians and Fillipinos here in Sakon Nakorn who really should not be teaching as they are not native speakers. Their writing skills leave a lot to be desired and they are here only for the salary at the end of the month.

I am not racist in any way but surely this is not the way forward for Thailand as far as English language instruction is concerned.

Sorry if I have offended anyone

Macanello

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Many thing done in Thailand are not legal but accepted practice.

Using copies of copyright textbooks in classrooms, illegal software, language school teachers on tourist visas, looking for a job while on a tourist visa, abuse of educational visas, calling a teacher an assistant, offering police money to avoid a ticket...

Are there enough teachers meeting TCT qualifications to take the positions at the pay offered?

Do language school teachers fill an important function for Thailand?

Do most language school teachers qualify for a work permit (qualifications or hours employed)?

Schools are finding it increasingly difficult to find experienced qualified teachers eligible for work permits at salaries offered.