What is needed for a Non B and work permit

I just arrived in Bangkok from America and just interviewed for a teaching job at a large private school (I guess international school?). They want to hire me, but we didnt discuss anything about the visa and work permit (they said they will provide after 90 days of working).

Anyways, what do I need to get this done and how do I do it?

Here is what I have... A photocopy of my bachelor's degree in business from an American university... This is all. The school seemed fine with hiring me, they didnt even ask to see my degree (but they did ask about my education).

Is this enough? How does the process work?

Teacher Mike......you should have your original degree, plus the transcripts. If they really want to hire you, they'll have to provide all the needed documents to obtain a Non-B visa at a Thai consulate in Laos.

That will give you 90 days to sort all out with the provisional teacher's license, which enables you to work for two years.

You'll have to submit your documents, as well as some from the school to Khurusapha (Teacher's Council of Thailand in Bangkok) to get the provisional TL, then you can apply for your work permit.

Good luck.

Edited by lostinisaan

You do not need the original degree. It's a good idea to have a copy and you will need a copy of your transcript. If you don't have your transcript, you can obtain one from your school and most schools provide this service on line.

The school can also verify your degree through the National Clearinghouse, there is a small fee for it, but they are a national service and verify the degree from US. schools.

The school should not wait 90 days to do the paperwork. This sounds like they are waiting until your probation is over. I could be wrong, but it's important that they get started on the process quickly.

Best of luck.

Yea, the school is waiting for the probation period to end... They say lots of teachers come and go and they dont want to spend the money and do the paperwork for a lousy teacher or one who will quit shortly after starting.

Ok, so there is no need to have my original diploma here in Thailand right? I do have a scanned copy on my computer I can just print off, but thats it. I really dont want to ship it here and risk losing it. As for my transcripts, I can get those mailed to my parents then sent out here with no problem...

I needed my original diploma in CM for the work permit. You don't need it for the visa. There are different things for the visa and for the work permit. Just get the B visa if the school won't do the paperwork for that, don't take the job. There are only a few forms and it doesn't cost them anything. The work permit is different.

The school is asking you to work illegally if they don't give you the paperwork for you to get eh B visa. Which is common for fly by night operations. Trust me this is not an international school. This is just a for profit academy. They might have a common name but you will be an edutainer at best.

Yea, the school is waiting for the probation period to end... They say lots of teachers come and go and they dont want to spend the money and do the paperwork for a lousy teacher or one who will quit shortly after starting.

Ok, so there is no need to have my original diploma here in Thailand right? I do have a scanned copy on my computer I can just print off, but thats it. I really dont want to ship it here and risk losing it. As for my transcripts, I can get those mailed to my parents then sent out here with no problem...

But you'll have to be on the right type of visa, which you can obtain at a Thai consulate in Laos.

This visa is usually not covered by the school, but they'll have to provide the needed paperwork for you. Make sure that you can get this done asap.

My former school wanted to see my original degree, not just a copy.

Edited by lostinisaan

It is pretty rare, if ever, that we have got caught getting a Work Permit that we really didn't want, at least at the time. There are plenty of people we didn't want, but they never quite made it to the WP stage before getting rid of them. It takes time to get the paperwork ready for the non-B and then you have to go and get it. It's good for 90 days and there is more paperwork.

The school should have a pretty good idea if they want to keep you by that time.

Best of luck and keep us posted.