Immigration clarifies new regulations for foreigners in Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of this is relevant to Chiang Mai, but you can read the underlying police orders (both original Thai and English translations) applicable nationally here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

So you think the guy is incorrect or Chiang Mai aren't going to subscribe to this?

He urged tourists who plan on staying in Thailand longer to get a tourist visa, either in their home countries or in neighboring countries such as Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia. But again he noted, this is for tourists and that those wishing to stay long term must get a long term visa.

How long is long term ? 1 year, 5 years ?

Most of the initial responses above are not serious. Perhaps Tywais might have initiated a new thread that people DO read. It has always been very clear that very, very few people bother to read the top-most "news" thread unless they want to know the next date of the various expatriate organization meetings.

On the other hand, of course, it is Sunday, a day of rest for many people! wai2.gif

Edited by Mapguy

Uh oh! The main thread on this matter on the CM site has been closed, but you can still read posts about 90 day reporting at the end of that thread!

Would someone please show us all where --- anywhere --- in any pertinent enforceable official document that there is any legislative or administrative requirement for a power of attorney needed for an agent to make a 90 day report for another individual!

If that is officially confirmed ---and it is enforced --- the Chiang Mai Immigration Office will become a real living hell for the staff and those registering.

Would someone please show us all where --- anywhere --- in any pertinent enforceable official document that there is any legislative or administrative requirement for a power of attorney needed for an agent to make a 90 day report for another individual!

This is from the Thailand main immigration site: That implies to me that some mechanism is necessary to allow authorization of someone to do the 90 day reports for you. Does not state POA but implies that or something similar. I know when I first came to work here I had to sign a form at the university that gave them proxy authority (aka POA) to do my immigration stuff so not new but probably not heavily enforced for a while now. How 'authorises' is interpreted by immigration is another matter and perhaps the Thai version of the information/regulation may clarify it.

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.
  • Like 1

Firstly I would just say what a good thing these meetings are.

I do wonder, with offices such as Chiang Mai having problems with an increased workload if at the next meeting our representatives could ask the Superintendent if Bangkok have considered withdrawing the 90 day report?

If not would you please so that the staff can get home on time.

After the recent surrogate parent issues the Immigration Office now requires that if the parents of a foreign child born in Thailand wish to take the child out of the country they must have a passport from their home country (obtained in Thailand) and the child must travel with the parents and the parents must show both the birth certificate and passport.

Hey Guys,

Reading the above has got me a little bit nervous, I am about to visit the UK with my son and fly in 10 days time, he has a UK passport,

However it says the child must be travelling with parents, he will be travelling with just me, so he will be just travelling with 1 parent, not parents,

Also whos birth certificate am I to show? I am not clear if it means I must show the childs birth certificate or I must show mine?

Are these rules only applying to Chaing Mai residents?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time,

Much of this is relevant to Chiang Mai, but you can read the underlying police orders (both original Thai and English translations) applicable nationally here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

So you think the guy is incorrect or Chiang Mai aren't going to subscribe to this?

Sorry for any misunderstanding. What the Chiang Mai chief said appears (as far as the news report goes) to be consistent with the police orders. I meant that the colonel also spoke to some matters relevant only to Chiang Mai, such as the plan for a new building and added staff both of which are really being overcome by the influx of new tourists, and especailly, new retirees.

Impossible. Everybody on the forum knows that tourism is dead and all retirees are going to Cambodia, Philippines, and Vietnam.

If anyone who is considering retiring here happens to read this, if you are of a nervous nature, then you might want to look elsewhere for paradise! It might not be so good here for your blood pressure! smile.png

Why?

• Like 1

Good to see some of the various National and Thai officials are trying to clarify the visa shambles. However, what is current today may or may not be current tomorrow or some rules and regs will end up with an individualistic spin or interpretation according to each immigration office or front desk official. This causes confusion, uncertainty and disruption to almost every foreigner trying to make a go of things here in Thailand. The end result being that many foreigners are looking at other options in other countries or have already left to enjoy a more welcoming, established and streamlined approach to foreign work, business and retirement.

• Like 1

Over the years I have seen several emerging industries that are initially encouraged and then crushed with bureaucracy.

The jewellery industry, arose and now its in its death rattles.

The film industry really got going but for the last five or more years is stagnating.

The IT business was a late bloomer, but the country attracted a bit of talent and few things started to happen. But its the usual story, a diminishing pool of talent and regulations that seem to "kick in", just when your making some headway. It's not a controversial statement to say that its just an uncompetitive place for the development of these kind of business's.

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

It then occurred to me, that perhaps the local oligarchy don't really want these emerging business hubs. They pretend they do, but they don't. Perhaps the development of a mobile, financially independent and educated emerging class of foreigners and locals are not in their interests. Perhaps they reckon they are more secure, if the vast majority of locals are dependant upon benevolence, rural activity and the lowly paid service sector. Certainly massage and related services seem to operate without hindrance.

If one looks at the distribution of wealth and the control of economic activity, it would appear closer to a feudal system than an emerging and competitive economy. And that is how certain sectors of Thai society may wish to keep it.

You are correct. The elite want to keep things just the way they are. No education for the poor and all income streams channelled back to the wealthy. The clearance of all the beach businesses in Phuket recently is a relevant example. It was sold as a crackdown, but in reality the Bangkok elite have long been displeased with Phuket because the money made there was not channelled back to Bangkok. That has been rectified. Phuket is now controlled by Bangkok. And the workaday Thais who were making a few dollars from Tourists on the island have had their humble businesses ripped down with a backhoe.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn
  • Like 2

I have surgery scheduled forsept 19. Got the document from a government hospital and was refused at Chang Wattana because it is elective surgery. It is an incarcerated hernia which requires immediate attention. So now I am on a grueling 15 hour bus trip to get a tourist visa.

I am a science teacher but cannot renew my non-b until my surgery is over and I can start teaching again. I am a qualified and experienced teacher (including 3 years at international and government schools in Thailand). I will be leaving Thailand at my earliest inconvenience.

Over the years I have seen several emerging industries that are initially encouraged and then crushed with bureaucracy.

The film industry really got going but for the last five or more years is stagnating.

The IT business was a late bloomer, but the country attracted a bit of talent and few things started to happen. But its the usual story, a diminishing pool of talent and regulations that seem to "kick in", just when your making some headway. It's not a controversial statement to say that its just an uncompetitive place for the development of these kind of business's.

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

It then occurred to me, that perhaps the local oligarchy don't really want these emerging business hubs. They pretend they do, but they don't. Perhaps the development of a mobile, financially independent and educated emerging class of foreigners and locals are not in their interests. Perhaps they reckon they are more secure, if the vast majority of locals are dependant upon benevolence, rural activity and the lowly paid service sector. Certainly massage and related services seem to operate without hindrance.

If one looks at the distribution of wealth and the control of economic activity, it would appear closer to a feudal system than an emerging and competitive economy. And that is how certain sectors of Thai society may wish to keep it.

You are correct. The elite want to keep things just the way they are. No education for the poor and all income streams channelled back to the wealthy. The clearance of all the beach businesses in Phuket recently is a relevant example. It was sold as a crackdown, but in reality the Bangkok elite have long been displeased with Phuket because the money made there was not channelled back to Bangkok. That has been rectified. Phuket is now controlled by Bangkok. And the workaday Thais who were making a few dollars from Tourists on the island have had their humble businesses ripped down with a backhoe.

Pretty sad if you ask me. Whenever I see images of Thai officials with diplomats or representatives from other countries, you have to wonder to what extent they are influencing final policy. My guess is that it's a lot. It's happening everywhere, not just in Thailand.

...how about something in writing......

...so many foreigners' lives are in limbo with constant changes to already nebulous laws.....

Constant changes what changes, only the last month or so. People need something to worry about

• Like 2

Spot on! The people in power has for decades had the chance to make significant changes, but they are unwilling to change as almost every policy in Thailand benefits the upper elite, but not the country as a whole. Will anything change with AEC? Probably not Thailand would probably leave than make changes to the elites privileges. I hope I am wrong, but this has been going on for decades.