Immigration clarifies new regulations for foreigners in Chiang Mai

Tywais

Oh yeh rules as clear as a brite day ' for a moment ' and then---just a month ago cheif immigration officer in Bangkok stated that the Lifetime ban for 10 year overstay was too harsh so would not be immplimented now we see ' for the moment ' it will be.

And for all the persons on TV who kept telling those young posters that wanted to be Digital Nomads and work online that its against the law you can't ------oh well guess you are wrong "for the moment" anyways so be sure to let those asking know the new rules and you will have to find something elese to complain about.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

I would have to agree to some extent with what you are saying. Thailand really does not make it easy to come setup a business and utilize the citizens or infrastructure. They have this huge population and have made what appears no substantial effort to mobilize the workforce which would better suit Thai companies and foreign owned businesses if they could of course actually gain access to them.

And I mean that even right now, how do they expect to compete in the global market for trained and competent people if they do not focus now on getting the education right. A huge natural resource, just being left to waste, and what a waste to the people as well.

As for due diligence and compliance of Thai companies, I wouldn't say they are that bad, they certainly aren't good in terms of efficiency, accessibility or Utility for that matter. It is either a case of departmental silos and definitely a lack of modernization in their methods and information sharing I am sure being a unreliable to non-existent.

And just for fun an act covering the duties of Limited Private company directors.... where is that, Thailand companies that are tax resident for global income. Great, that is a real competitive move. Foreign ownership silliness, entirely missing the point that the companies value to the nation is in its turnover into the local economy which in most companies will dwarf share value by at least an order of magnitude if not several. The FBA is a PIA

Half the legislation is entirely designed to limit economic activity by limited foreign investment and just straight up protecting jobs for locals.

I could go on and on....... and looks like I already did.

Question please

If they make it so hard to open a business here in Thailand why do they have to have so many foreigners from Cambodia and Burma come here and work because with out them they can not operate. Seems to me to be an implication that they are doing OK when the population is smaller than the work force needed.

Just a question.

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

I would have to agree to some extent with what you are saying. Thailand really does not make it easy to come setup a business and utilize the citizens or infrastructure. They have this huge population and have made what appears no substantial effort to mobilize the workforce which would better suit Thai companies and foreign owned businesses if they could of course actually gain access to them.

And I mean that even right now, how do they expect to compete in the global market for trained and competent people if they do not focus now on getting the education right. A huge natural resource, just being left to waste, and what a waste to the people as well.

As for due diligence and compliance of Thai companies, I wouldn't say they are that bad, they certainly aren't good in terms of efficiency, accessibility or Utility for that matter. It is either a case of departmental silos and definitely a lack of modernization in their methods and information sharing I am sure being a unreliable to non-existent.

And just for fun an act covering the duties of Limited Private company directors.... where is that, Thailand companies that are tax resident for global income. Great, that is a real competitive move. Foreign ownership silliness, entirely missing the point that the companies value to the nation is in its turnover into the local economy which in most companies will dwarf share value by at least an order of magnitude if not several. The FBA is a PIA

Half the legislation is entirely designed to limit economic activity by limited foreign investment and just straight up protecting jobs for locals.

I could go on and on....... and looks like I already did.

It's all very strange. Thailand is by far one of the most desirable places to live for your average company director. But if your company has international aspirations, generally speaking, you just can't prejudice against your shareholders with incorporating here. There's a whole industry supporting foreigners flying back and fourth between Thailand and Hong Kong for this very reason.

• Like 1

QUESTION ABOUT 90 DAY REPORT AND LANDLORD RESIDENCE REPORT

I have one year extension to stay based on retirement. I "heard" that when doing 90 day report, the form your landlord completes confirming my residence needs to be provided along with the usual documents. I live In Phuket.

Is it accurate that the landlord form needs to be provided?

Thanks in advance.

I have never need to do anything expect the 90day report. And for that I discovered a nice little visa office to complete that for me for 200baht. This saves a lot of bother. Also you can EMS your passport in with the necessary info & paid self return envelope to have the report completed.

If the person is in Thailand on a non-B associated with their work they no longer have to leave the country if they change employers, however, they must cancel their current visa and go to Immigration with the new employment contract and they will be issued a new visa based on the new employer at Immigration in Chiang Mai, according to K. Thawatchai.

This is an excellent common sense change.

Now dump the 90 day if you have a one year extention.

• Like 1

Much of this is relevant to Chiang Mai, but you can read the underlying police orders (both original Thai and English translations) applicable nationally here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

So you think the guy is incorrect or Chiang Mai aren't going to subscribe to this?

Sorry for any misunderstanding. What the Chiang Mai chief said appears (as far as the news report goes) to be consistent with the police orders. I meant that the colonel also spoke to some matters relevant only to Chiang Mai, such as the plan for a new building and added staff both of which are really being overcome by the influx of new tourists, and especailly, new retirees.

If anyone who is considering retiring here happens to read this, if you are of a nervous nature, then you might want to look elsewhere for paradise! It might not be so good here for your blood pressure! smile.png

Why??? Nothing has changed for retirees here

I thought a 30 day VOA could now be exstened 30 days. He says only 7 still.

I allso was under the immpression that the visa exempt was now extendable 30 days,

as of reports two weeks ago.

Now they say the visa exempt is extendable max 90 days "but" two paragraphs later say

that flyin-flyout workers on visa exempt can only extend a further 7 days ???

entering on a 30 day visa exempt ??? "thanks for the clarification"....................

They didn't mention anything about Retired Visa's Still wondering if they are going to continue to make us check in every 90 days? And if they will ever change the 1 year visa to a 5 year visa or more? We travel a lot and sometimes it is difficult to get back in 90 days to do you check in.

Another thing concerning retirement visa, I read sometime ago in Thaivisa that the spouse must also provide /secure 800000 baht in addition to her 50+ year husbands 800000 so that she is covered financially in the event of a divorce. Does anyone know if this is still true, or her visa will automatically terminate and she has to go (in case of a divorce in Thailand). The reason I am asking is that to commit 800000 baht is one thing and 1,600000 is another. I am not sure,should I and my wife decide that we do not want to stay any longer, what to do with the balance in the bank. Should we be able to withdraw it and take it back home with us?

so now we are back on a life ban if you everstay by 10 years!!!

about turn yet again. No wonder people are confused.

Why do they not let one person do all the announcements and then let all the regional officers follow?

"He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited .."

Woo hoo - this is what I wanted to hear. A little bit of common sense at last. Now if they make a work permit easier for these people, they could start collecting some tax too ...

They didn't mention anything about Retired Visa's Still wondering if they are going to continue to make us check in every 90 days? And if they will ever change the 1 year visa to a 5 year visa or more? We travel a lot and sometimes it is difficult to get back in 90 days to do you check in.

Another thing concerning retirement visa, I read sometime ago in Thaivisa that the spouse must also provide /secure 800000 baht in addition to her 50+ year husbands 800000 so that she is covered financially in the event of a divorce. Does anyone know if this is still true, or her visa will automatically terminate and she has to go (in case of a divorce in Thailand). The reason I am asking is that to commit 800000 baht is one thing and 1,600000 is another. I am not sure,should I and my wife decide that we do not want to stay any longer, what to do with the balance in the bank. Should we be able to withdraw it and take it back home with us?

The 800000 Deposit you must show proof of having is your money, you just need to proof you have it in your bank for you its yours, if you choose to leave "that money is yours" its

basicly a security deposit for medivac.

After the recent surrogate parent issues the Immigration Office now requires that if the parents of a foreign child born in Thailand wish to take the child out of the country they must have a passport from their home country (obtained in Thailand) and the child must travel with the parents and the parents must show both the birth certificate and passport.

Hey Guys,

Reading the above has got me a little bit nervous, I am about to visit the UK with my son and fly in 10 days time, he has a UK passport,

However it says the child must be travelling with parents, he will be travelling with just me, so he will be just travelling with 1 parent, not parents,

Also whos birth certificate am I to show? I am not clear if it means I must show the childs birth certificate or I must show mine?

Are these rules only applying to Chaing Mai residents?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time,

My friend is in London with his two Thai/English sons right this moment so it is possible with only one parent. Having said that he does have custody, maybe that's made a difference? Can you mot get to an immigration office and ask the question? Good luck

• Like 1

"He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited .."

Woo hoo - this is what I wanted to hear. A little bit of common sense at last. Now if they make a work permit easier for these people, they could start collecting some tax too ...

Yes, they clarified that it isn't illegal to work on line while you are on a Tourist Visa.

There is no work permit category for Digital Nomads, but you're free to work as long as your Tourist Visa lasts.

Expat taxes paid here are really a drop in a bucket in relation to Thai workers.

It's just money on your normal savings account. You can withdraw it anytime you like.

From the article Post #1:

He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people.

So I guess the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will have to modify or amend its Tourist Visa Application Form where it states and then you declare in by signature:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

You should read the article. It answers your 90 day. For travel a lot well get a multi entry or if in Thailand mail it in.

If you have Retirement Visa and you travel (Outside of Thailand) Don't worry about your 90 day report... If you have last report and next is required in say 30 days... But you are outside of Thailand... Remember you have your exit Stamp And re-entery Stamp in Passport! You also have a new Departure card stapled in Passport! Your re-entery confirms you have reported and where you have been. Thailand is not concerned where you are when outside of the Country.... Why would they be? You can ask Officer at Immigration Control at Airport to confirm when you need to do your next 90 Day report (If it changes while your gone...) But for me it was 90 days after the entry stamp in Passport and back of Departure Card (T.M.6) then go on as usual until Visa needs to be renewed!

Simple??? Yes!

Was there really such a rush to get these changes in place that they had to start some half arsed measures in May this year. Why didn't they just wait until they knew what they were doing and why they wanted to do it instead of meaningless sound bites every 2 weeks adding to the confusion of Tourists ,expats and themselves it seems

Because it wouldn't be as much fun reading the Thai Veeser speculator to see the wealth of misinformation? wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

• Like 1

It's just money on your normal savings account. You can withdraw it anytime you like.

The money is mine, that's for sure, Can I ask the Thai bank to remit it back to my country in euros to my home country account?

This is really the question. Yet, I would love some info about the security deposit 800000 or 1,600000?

thanks.

After the recent surrogate parent issues the Immigration Office now requires that if the parents of a foreign child born in Thailand wish to take the child out of the country they must have a passport from their home country (obtained in Thailand) and the child must travel with the parents and the parents must show both the birth certificate and passport.

Hey Guys,

Reading the above has got me a little bit nervous, I am about to visit the UK with my son and fly in 10 days time, he has a UK passport,

However it says the child must be travelling with parents, he will be travelling with just me, so he will be just travelling with 1 parent, not parents,

Also whos birth certificate am I to show? I am not clear if it means I must show the childs birth certificate or I must show mine?

Are these rules only applying to Chaing Mai residents?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time,

Get a signed letter of permission from your missus.

• Like 2

Yes, they clarified that it isn't illegal to work on line while you are on a Tourist Visa.

There is no work permit category for Digital Nomads, but you're free to work as long as your Tourist Visa lasts.

Expat taxes paid here are really a drop in a bucket in relation to Thai workers.

they cant make a work permit for this or all peopel would also be allowed to work inside thailand,

by thai law you are not working if you do it for outside companys and you not ship anything from thailand

Was there really such a rush to get these changes in place that they had to start some half arsed measures in May this year. Why didn't they just wait until they knew what they were doing and why they wanted to do it instead of meaningless sound bites every 2 weeks adding to the confusion of Tourists ,expats and themselves it seems

Because it wouldn't be as much fun reading the Thai Veeser speculator to see the wealth of misinformation? wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

I must Admit they certainly got me at it , I'm getting Married next month now , Think I'll sue ;0)