Thai Driving Licence In Chiangmai ?

Austhaied

This has been covered dozens of times. Do a forum search or click on this link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...driving+licence

Thanks Maejo Man. And forgive me for my ignorance, as i haven't seen it dozens of times as i am new to the forum, hence me asking.. :o Also i did ask about where in CHIANGMAI, not BKK or Pattaya.which seemed to be covered in previous forums. Hence me asking on the CM forum ..Thanks anyway.

Edited by Austhaied

I'm sure it's been covered on the Chiangmai forum, but I'll go through it for you......

You will need a copy of your passport main page and visa page (non imm) and the original.

Two 25mm square photographs

A doctor's certificate (obtainable from any hospital)

A certification of residence (obtainable from the immigration dept or your consulate) If this is obtained from Immigration you will also need two passport size photographs.

Your original current overseas driving licence

Fill out the attached form, and take them all to the Department of Lands and Transport which is out of town on the Hang Dong road about 5 Km out on the left.

You might well be asked to take an eyesight test, but not a driving test.

post-7622-1152528836_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

just wondering, I would also like to get a thai drivers licence but I dont hold a licence anywhere. I can drive well but dont have a licence and drive here so would like to apply for one. Is this a problem (I am a UK citizen with a UK passport)

Let me know please...

Thanks in advance...

kish

Hi there,

just wondering, I would also like to get a thai drivers licence but I dont hold a licence anywhere. I can drive well but dont have a licence and drive here so would like to apply for one. Is this a problem (I am a UK citizen with a UK passport)

Let me know please...

Thanks in advance...

kish

A very dangerous passtime to say the least. Any form of insurance you have in the way of third party mandatory cover or additional cover is void unless you hold Thai licence. In the event of an accident you will be paying for the lot, and maybe some other penalties thrown in.

Go through the steps outlined previously, and take a test. It's not all that difficult. If you are still driving that Toyota engined BMW all the more reason to get legal :o

> just wondering, I would also like to get a thai drivers licence

> but I dont hold a licence anywhere.

Easy, just take the test. (And be on a non-immigrant visa and bring all the documents outlined earlier in this dicussion.)

Note that the theory exam is pretty tough. You may need to get the rules book and study it with help of a Thai person. Or they just make you take the test again until you get it right. Help usually available, for a modest fee. :o

Just turn it into a 'a day' and have fun. It's pretty fun overall and by the end of the day you will have your license AND spent less money compared to doing many other things in Chiang Mai. :D

> I can drive well

That doesn't really matter. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi all. I was denied a letter of proof of residence by Thai immigration. They said it was because the rental contract was in my wifes name, even after showing them bills in "our names" and marriage cerificates, birth certs from the kids, etc.. It seems they dont wont (or care) people to be driving on their roads LAWFULLY....Any ideas on how to tackle this one..?? :o:D

Edited by Austhaied

Hi all. I was denied a letter of proof of residence by Thai immigration. They said it was because the rental contract was in my wifes name, even after showing them bills in "our names" and marriage cerificates, birth certs from the kids, etc.. It seems they dont wont (or care) people to be driving on their roads LAWFULLY....Any ideas on how to tackle this one..?? :o:D

Possibly you could have the owner of the property you are renting go to immigration with you to certify that you are staying there. By law, the owner is supposed to report to immigration that a foreigner is staying there any way.

Alternative is the embassy/consulate letter for a few thousand baht. Don't know if it has to be translated into Thai (probably does).

Edited by tywais

They are getting a little tough of late, and I noticed this the other week when I needed a current proof of residence for a vehicle purchase. The person in front of me was refused for the same reason. I have always found the people at Immigration to be quite reasonable, but at the moment they seem to be sticking to the letter of the law, no exceptions.

Your Consulate will issue you one for the apropriate "Consular Fee" just take all your paperwork along and your wife just in case. Normally they will do it while you wait. Unfortunately it's not cheap, as opposed to the freebie from Immigration.

Also when your landlady gets back, ask her to write you into the lease as well, as you could well need it in the future.....

They are getting a little tough of late, and I noticed this the other week when I needed a current proof of residence for a vehicle purchase. The person in front of me was refused for the same reason. I have always found the people at Immigration to be quite reasonable, but at the moment they seem to be sticking to the letter of the law, no exceptions.

Your Consulate will issue you one for the apropriate "Consular Fee" just take all your paperwork along and your wife just in case. Normally they will do it while you wait. Unfortunately it's not cheap, as opposed to the freebie from Immigration.

Also when your landlady gets back, ask her to write you into the lease as well, as you could well need it in the future.....

Good advice Maejo Man, will do that. We have spoke with the Jao Kong Baan and she is happy to write me in as soon as she can.. In the meantime all i want to do is get a bloody driving licence for insurance purposes...TIT...

• 1 month later...

As an extension of this query - I expect soon to be a newcomer to CM - will I need to go through a procedure to have the address on the thai license changed once I've got an address in CM? Is there a time limit - ie maybe I could do it when I go for the 5 year extension next year?

Sorry to revive this apparently tired topic of driving license.

cd