Boarding to Thailand without return ticket

paz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I have been reading alot of posts. Can someone please give me solid advice? I will be flying from America to Thailand in December. I'm getting married the week of arrival. I have read "no return ticket, no tourist visa". I'm not planning to return to America because we decided to stay there to be close to her family. So I would hate to spend the extra money on a roundtrip ticket if I don't need to. The airlines I will be using are United and I believe China air from Tokyo to BKK. So is a one way ok? Or should I play it safe and get a roundtrip?

Thanks, but wouldnt they want a return ticket home as the reason being if Thai passport control reject you, the airline is responsible for your sorry ass. You cant simply hop onto a train to Malaysia if that happens

They don't reject if you have plans out. That's the whole point.

Don't let the airline bully you into a round trip ticket, it's not required.

If the airline can show onwards travel documents they are freed of responsibility and any possible fines for your crack.

Ok I have been reading alot of posts. Can someone please give me solid advice? I will be flying from America to Thailand in December. I'm getting married the week of arrival. I have read "no return ticket, no tourist visa". I'm not planning to return to America because we decided to stay there to be close to her family. So I would hate to spend the extra money on a roundtrip ticket if I don't need to. The airlines I will be using are United and I believe China air from Tokyo to BKK. So is a one way ok? Or should I play it safe and get a roundtrip?

You automatically get a 30 day visa in the Airport or on the plane. I have been to Thailand on several occasions with out a return tkt.

You automatically get a 30 day visa in the Airport or on the plane. I have been to Thailand on several occasions with out a return tkt.

You get 30 days visa exempt entry at the airport, it is not a visa. In the plane you out get the arrival card to fill.

You get 30 days visa exempt entry at the airport, it is not a visa. In the plane you out get the arrival card to fill.

Ok similar. but you get 30 days,

• 2 weeks later...

I normally travel on United to BKK from Canada, via USA to Tokyo to BKK. The last leg is on an ANA aircraft, code shared with United. Every time United has NOT allowed me to check-in online, and have always said they want to examine my passport. I'm not sure why they want to look at the passport. I have always had a return ticket with United, and had various stay periods, always with a appropriate visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the experience. The Thai Embassy in Kolkata had a poster up in front of the entrance Arrival and Departure tickets must be in possession at time of entry as well as 10000 bhat cash in hand for transit and 20000 for tourist visa. Just like on the website.

Many people have to buy a return ticket on the spot if they don't have a valid visa in their passport. Some Asian countries don't check, so you can do one way tickets and get by. Then again, sometimes they check and you're screwed.

It's a requirement set by Thai immigration and enforced by the airlines...well...some of them. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

"it is customary for Thai immigration not to ask for an outgoing tickets," That may or may not be so, but Thai Immigration have ever right to ask to see your ongoing confirmed reservations - not open dated. Flying with TG, SQ, MH etc these airlines have ALWAYS asked to see my onward reservations (or they see these on the reservation details on their computer) , otherwise they wont board you.

In the current climate the risk is much higher that you will not be boarded. Some may respond that they are getting away with it - but no guarantees for you. Simple solution - buy a ticket out of Thailand before you check in.

Probably true now. Just buy a cheap ticket onward to PP Cambodia or something.

I've never been asked but it would be a bummer.

The Thai Consul at Hull (UK) make it clear that a return ticket is not required by the Thai authorities on arrival in Thailand. You can print out the relevant page and show that to the airline. I travel with Emirates from Birmingham (UK) and they always want to see my visa as the journey to Thailand is my return leg. Hope this helps.

That's how it was for me as well. One time i had a one-way ticket and the newbie woman behind the counter was trying to make out I needed a return ticket (despite my non-immigrant o). Needless to say she had to ask a supervisor who confirmed it.

Most of the handling agents,that is the people who check you in at London Heathrow ,will want to see travel documents to explain your onward travel out of Thailand if you are expecting a visa on arrival.

This can be as little as a printout of a hotel reservation in a neighbouring country.

Be aware the handling agents can deny you boarding.

If you have a well stamped passport and a plausible travel story that is often sufficient.

Remember, when you don't have a return ticket, stress will increase. if it's worth it, fine. if not, just buy the stupid thing. if you plan on staying in LOS and never returning to escape the world.....take your chances and i wish you luck.

• 1 month later...

Remember, when you don't have a return ticket, stress will increase. if it's worth it, fine. if not, just buy the stupid thing. if you plan on staying in LOS and never returning to escape the world.....take your chances and i wish you luck.

Not necessary to buy a ticket, read opening post.

• 2 weeks later...

The enforcement of the return ticket is inconsistant by airlines and never enforced by Thai immigrations; however, UA is one of the strictest - so you will most likely need either a Thai visa or a ticket outside of Thailand within 30 days for UA to allow you to travel.

• 3 months later...

Let's be careful with what we're posting here. The official requirement is you either have a valid visa in your passport OR a return ticket. If you've got a valid visa, then NO return ticket is required.

As has been posted here before, some airlines enforce this return ticket rule, some don't. Some didn't do it before, but do it now. Some did it before, but don't now. It's an ever changing target.

The only way to be sure is to call your airline and ask them. Or, if you don't have a visa, be prepared to buy a fully refundable ticket at the airport if you have any problems. Which I have had to do before.

I thought UA would be strict as well so I had my onward printout with me when I flew from LAX to Hong Kong, but it was self-check-in at the airport so they never asked. However, Cathay Pacific asked to see it when I made my connection to Bangkok. I had a Thai tourist visa as well, but they still wanted to see it. That being said, when I flew from BKK back to Hong Kong via Air Asia, they didn't ask to see it. It seems pretty random to me, but I know that Cathay asked everyone in front of me making the connection. They type the return information into their puter.

The local Asian airlines seem to be the most lax. Because getting you back to your point of origination if you are turned back here is cheap...and rare. Getting you back to Europe or especially North America is much more complicated and expensive for the airline.

I've read lots of reports about AirAsia not checking, but have also read about a few travelers who've been rejected at KL airport. It's a crap shoot.

Thanks, but wouldnt they want a return ticket home as the reason being if Thai passport control reject you, the airline is responsible for your sorry ass. You cant simply hop onto a train to Malaysia if that happens

No, they do not as that is not the requirement.

---------------------

The requirement is never for a "return" ticket. As the language in the IATA rules states what is required is an "onward" ticket. That can be the cheapest ticket you can buy to a neighboring country. {out -of- Thailand).

Also, if it comes to that the carrier who brought you to Thailand is not required to provide for your return to your country.... again it is only out of Thailand.

i have been to Thailand many times with out a return ticket, as long as you have the funds and can prove it there will be no problem

Thats fine if you make it to the immigration desk at BKK where they dont often enforce their own rules. Having a fistful of dollars wont help at check-in at Heathrow, Frankfurt, LAX or anywhere where they follow the thai immigration rules. You need an onward ticket within 30 days of arrival to qualify for 30 days stamp and have a passport that qualifies like USA, Japan , western europe etc. Or you have a valid thai visa which will let you travel on a one way ticket with no problem.

Its a gamble if you dont meet the thai entry requirements and it could turn out to be an expensive hassle if airline wont let you fly. Date change fee, new ticket? Wait for the consulate to open for a visa, wait for the visa, flights full for the next week, you have fare upgrade to get on the busier flight etc. Best just to get the visa and be relaxed. Longhaul flights are unpleasant enough without the worry of it all going wrong before you started.

No, they do not as that is not the requirement.

---------------------

The requirement is never for a "return" ticket. As the language in the IATA rules states what is required is an "onward" ticket. That can be the cheapest ticket you can buy to a neighboring country. {out -of- Thailand).

Also, if it comes to that the carrier who brought you to Thailand is not required to provide for your return to your country.... again it is only out of Thailand.

Excellent point. We just assume a return ticket, but an onward one would be fine also. I've heard discussions of train tickets, but don't know of anyone who's tried that.

I'm guessing one reason some airlines are tougher than others is they don't have as many flights and perhaps not any to neighboring countries? UAL would be a good example...

The local Asian airlines seem to be the most lax. Because getting you back to your point of origination if you are turned back here is cheap...and rare. Getting you back to Europe or especially North America is much more complicated and expensive for the airline.

I've read lots of reports about AirAsia not checking, but have also read about a few travelers who've been rejected at KL airport. It's a crap shoot.

Last night flying airasia Guangzhou to Dmk they asked my friend for a return ticket. Of course its a digital ticket and left in his room in pattaya as it was only a 3 day trip. After some discussion they gave him a bording pass. fyi he has a usa passport

I signed disclaimer with Emirates in 2005 when i was using the return portion of a Bangkok Gatwick Bangkok sector. I did argue first for quite some time before it was offered.

10 years later I'd imagine they are much stricter

Let's be careful with what we're posting here. The official requirement is you either have a valid visa in your passport OR a return ticket. If you've got a valid visa, then NO return ticket is required.

As has been posted here before, some airlines enforce this return ticket rule, some don't. Some didn't do it before, but do it now. Some did it before, but don't now. It's an ever changing target.

The only way to be sure is to call your airline and ask them. Or, if you don't have a visa, be prepared to buy a fully refundable ticket at the airport if you have any problems. Which I have had to do before.

I totally agree with this saying. If you want to test your luck, do it. You never know.

Posted via Tapatalk using my Z30

• 1 month later...

I don't think I would bother with the phone call. One low level employee who answers the phone says you are okay. However, it is the boarding agent who has to issue a boarding pass and who will be on the hook if things go south.

Also, in my experience, boarding agents, Korean Air and Delta, definitely want to see and record a visa if you don't have an outbound ticket within 30 days.

August will be the first time with a one way ticket and a reentry permit. Hope things aren't too interesting.

Archived