Boarding to Thailand without return ticket

paz

Also, in my experience, boarding agents, Korean Air and Delta, definitely want to see and record a visa if you don't have an outbound ticket within 30 days.

Actually I flew one way to Thailand with Korean, with no visa after signing a discharge.

But the point of this thread is not which airline does what and when. Is to be prepared with free measures to prevent problems.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you even want to? Days of bouncing Muang Thai's borders are long gone.

"Want to" what? There is tens of thousand of people flying to Thailand every day, and information is important.

• 9 months later...

Is the "within 30 days" rule true?

Does not any onward ticket count?

I have never entered Thailand this way so have never been asked, but it seems illogical to insist on 30days as the traveller can always leave Thailand and come back for one reason or another until the departure date. They can also get extensions of stay ay immigration...all of which would require rescheduling of the traveller's ticket.

A few years back I arrived at LHR for the Jet Airways flight via India to BKK but as Jet had backlog problems I was given a one way ticket with Thai. On presenting the printed one way ticket at Thai check in I was advised that I would not be able to check in as I did not have a visa. On producing my return flight details with Jet I was accepted. Bottom line, no return ticket or onward travel ticket without a visa may result in being refused travel.

A few years back I arrived at LHR for the Jet Airways flight via India to BKK but as Jet had backlog problems I was given a one way ticket with Thai. On presenting the printed one way ticket at Thai check in I was advised that I would not be able to check in as I did not have a visa. On producing my return flight details with Jet I was accepted. Bottom line, no return ticket or onward travel ticket without a visa may result in being refused travel.

was that return within 30 days?

Yes, whether they were checking this I wouldn't know.

a lot of peopleARE TALKING ABOUT 30 DAYS BUT I THINK THIS IS A BIT OF A MYTH..... MY IMPRESSION IS THEY JUST WANT A VALID RETURN OR ONWARD TICKET....OPEN WOULD BE SUFFICIENT. sorry about the caps but no time to edit

a lot of peopleARE TALKING ABOUT 30 DAYS BUT I THINK THIS IS A BIT OF A MYTH..... MY IMPRESSION IS THEY JUST WANT A VALID RETURN OR ONWARD TICKET....OPEN WOULD BE SUFFICIENT. sorry about the caps but no time to edit
30 days is not a myth when you don't have a visa. Up to you as We say in Thailand but I personally wouldn't take the risk and good luck getting your money back if they do refuse travel.

The check in staff will be fully aware of the destinations immigration policy and rules and will more likely heir on the side of caution in protecting the airline ,not you.

30 days is not a myth when you don't have a visa. Up to you as We say in Thailand but I personally wouldn't take the risk and good luck getting your money back if they do refuse travel.

The check in staff will be fully aware of the destinations immigration policy and rules and will more likely heir on the side of caution in protecting the airline ,not you.

Yes but I'm not convinced it is actually immigration policy.

Yes but I'm not convinced it is actually immigration policy.

We will never know what any individual country's actual immigration policy is, they give us guidelines and it is ultimately their decision to allow or deny boarding and entry, local interpretation/ inconsistencies only add to the confusion. I should imagine policy is also very fluid and can change at a moments notice. All you can do is evaluate the risk and then make your decision - repeat "your decision"

Archived