Tot Adsl

SpeedTriple

Hi,

Any one else getting very poor performance from ToT ADSL for the last week?

Speeds are never spectacular but this week it's been terrible, somedays I can't even log on.

In the day time I usually get speeds of 300-500k (even tho it's a 1m connection) but it's currently running at 5-10k with some hop times (within Thailand) at 3 seconds per hop.

ToT tell me it's a problem with the whole of the North of Thailand, think that's the number one excuse on their "how to get rid of the moaning farrang" list.

I live in Bpa Daet and was wondering if the problem is localised to my exchange, in 6 months it has been pretty good really, but a week of not really being able to use it, is beginning to annoy !!!

thanks

Rich.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I living at a new house at Sangkampang and have the goldcyber package installed about 3 weeks ago. The speeds have been p*ss poor since it was installed, usually a bandwith of around 55kbs. Early in the morning its not too bad but it rapidly goes down the tubes after 9am.

Its been like this since day one. I havent noticed any change over the last week.

The millions of e-mails generated by various viruses could also be having a slowing effect....

Warnings of 26 computer virus strains spreading over Asia

BANGKOK: -- Computer users in Thailand and other Asian countries have been warned of 26 computer virus strains spreading across the region via electronic mails (e-mails), according to a leading computer software manufacturer.

As internet and viruses know no national boundaries, the warning applies to any country in the world.

The 26 computer virus strains are worms in the RONTKBR.GEN family, which were first identified last year but have been spreading in wider areas across the region, according to manufacturer Trend Micro Incorporated, a leading world provider of comprehensive antivirus, Internet content security, and outbreak management software and services.

The worms are spreading through "no subject" e-mails, and had reportedly destroyed nearly 16,000 computers so far, the company warned in a statement released to the local press on Sunday.

The company's experts concede it is hard to contain the worms as their attack begins once the "no subject" e-mails are temptingly opened and they immediately modify host files which prevent any anti-virus function.

The Silicon Valley (California)-based company is represented in Thailand by Trend Micro (Thailand).

Trend Micro said Thailand is now among the top ten Asian economies where the worms are mostly spreading and destroying local computer systems.

The other Asian economies include China, Taiwan and Japan; while the problem in neighbouring Malaysia and Indonesia is increasing remarkably, according to the company.

--TNA 2006-07-10

~

I live between the airport and Hangdong and have had TOT ADSL for about 4+ months. For the fist six weeks the service was terrible but my wife finally came up the the direct number of an upper management person with TOT. Once she found out that we were going to be calling every two days at the least, she barks some orders on down the line and my connection has been almost flawless since.

I use speedtest.csloxinfo.com and check my speed at least twice a day and average right at 425 kbps except for the occasional glitches at around 10am and 6pm when usage is probably the highest nationwide. I am online all day from about 8am to 10pm or so and am very satisfied with my 512 K connection with TOT.

I live between the airport and Hangdong and have had TOT ADSL for about 4+ months. For the fist six weeks the service was terrible but my wife finally came up the the direct number of an upper management person with TOT. Once she found out that we were going to be calling every two days at the least, she barks some orders on down the line and my connection has been almost flawless since.

Great so give us the number :o

I signed up 6 weeks ago and it never worked for 2 weeks. The engineer did not have a clue.

However we finally got it working and it has been good but I have experienced a slow connection this week. Sometimes I am at 800kbs and other times 30kbs.

Although this thread is computer related, it is basically a local Chiangmai topic, and would have been nice to discuss it on the Chiangmai forum the same as they have done on the Pattaya forum. Such are the vagaries of button pushing :o

I live near CMU, and the service has been pretty crap pretty much since I signed up (in April). My speed is always low (it just tested at 54), the connection is usually down at least once a day (for a varied amount of time), and when it's down they tell you there's nothing they can do since their server's down.

Of course, the speed is understandable (assuming I understood the salesladies correctly). Unlike the developed world, we don't have a single-user dedicated line - they split one ADSL line between 20, 10, 5, or 2 users, depending how much you pay. I currently have a 512 split 10 ways - I'm switching to 1024 split 20, since much of my surfing is done at home (where I work) while others are at jobs or classes. Hopefully as of next month I'll have a better connection, because this is pretty ridiculous.

Although this thread is computer related, it is basically a local Chiangmai topic, and would have been nice to discuss it on the Chiangmai forum the same as they have done on the Pattaya forum. Such are the vagaries of button pushing :o

Chiang Mai Resident here and I have been calling TOT daily now for the 3rd week..

Number 1 retort....."Is the light on your modem on?"

Number 2 ...... what type of modem do you have?

Number 3 ....... is the light blinking or steady

Same Answer...... stop asking me the same questions every day..... the problem is too many people on the same lines .

Finally the one little girl just told me the best thing to do was go to TOT and make a complaint then maybe things would get better..

Iv'e been wanting to post something on this for weeks, but at that time the internet was down.

Such are the vagaries of the Mutton Pushers

Although this thread is computer related, it is basically a local Chiangmai topic, and would have been nice to discuss it on the Chiangmai forum the same as they have done on the Pattaya forum.

I agree with you Maejo man this a Chiang Mai issue not a general computer topic.

I currently have a 512 split 10 ways - I'm switching to 1024 split 20, since much of my surfing is done at home (where I work) while others are at jobs or classes. Hopefully as of next month I'll have a better connection, because this is pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn't bank on it I'm on 1024 and I get 55kbs on average.

The way to go as suggested probably is to complain. But how do you actually do that? If you walk into a TOT office you'll get blank looks and/or they'll give you another telephone number to ring. Nothings going to come of that.

I'm still waiting for Dustoff to hand that magic number out maybe thats the answer :o

Although this thread is computer related, it is basically a local Chiangmai topic, and would have been nice to discuss it on the Chiangmai forum the same as they have done on the Pattaya forum.

I agree with you Maejo man this a Chiang Mai issue not a general computer topic.

I currently have a 512 split 10 ways - I'm switching to 1024 split 20, since much of my surfing is done at home (where I work) while others are at jobs or classes. Hopefully as of next month I'll have a better connection, because this is pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn't bank on it I'm on 1024 and I get 55kbs on average.

The way to go as suggested probably is to complain. But how do you actually do that? If you walk into a TOT office you'll get blank looks and/or they'll give you another telephone number to ring. Nothings going to come of that.

I'm still waiting for Dustoff to hand that magic number out maybe thats the answer :o

A 55 Kbt/sec dowload speed would be about right for a 1024K connection. I average about 20k with my 500k connection. Don't confuse connection speeds with download speeds. A common mistake.

I'm on TOT ADSL 512 and live out by CM City Hall/TOT Office. On the TV Bandwidth Meter I get results between 33-56 kbps. Testing on the speedtest.csloxinfo.com site mentioned, results are about 400 kbps...a big disparity, not sure why. Tried some other test sites and got results closer to TV...about 46 kbps.

The past week i've been back in town it feels a lot slower...like a 56kbps dial-up. Painful.

I'm on TOT ADSL 512 and live out by CM City Hall/TOT Office. On the TV Bandwidth Meter I get results between 33-56 kbps. Testing on the speedtest.csloxinfo.com site mentioned, results are about 400 kbps...a big disparity, not sure why. Tried some other test sites and got results closer to TV...about 46 kbps.

The past week i've been back in town it feels a lot slower...like a 56kbps dial-up. Painful.

Ihop - read my last post. 33-56K DOWNLOAD is normal for a 512K CONNECTION

Geoff

What about TT&T, is it any better?

Note: Due to popular request, I've retitled this topic to make it more clear that it's Chiang Mai-related, and moved it back to the Chiang Mai forum (with a link still in the Internet forum).

A 55 Kbt/sec dowload speed would be about right for a 1024K connection. I average about 20k with my 500k connection. Don't confuse connection speeds with download speeds. A common mistake.

Getting confused here my bandwith is averaging 55 kbps. I've just checked at around 12.30 am and the bandwith is 38.5 kbps with a download speed of 4.8 kb/sec. If I was getting 20kb/sec I would be very happy indeed :o .

ihop I think the difference in speeds on testing is that the lower one is an international speed and the higher one is showing up speeds on sites within Thailand. The speeds noted above on my connection are international.

Now anybody got any advice on how to tackle TOT on this?

TT & T Maxnet, Chang Kian area:

definitely poorer in recent months, often unusable in the mornings.

FYI I was told today a friend was told by a Thai computer repairer that if you have the wrong type of ?????? box in your area, analogue instead of digital or vice versa, it makes NO difference which package you are on, as none of them will fulfil even the lowest speed, so you may as well be on the 500 baht package these places. That's all know about it. Anyone more expert?

Edited by sleepyjohn

Interesting that the overall experience of people with ToT seems to be poor.

Mine's been fine for about 6 months, daytime international speeds reasonable, never the 1mbit I pay for but acceptable, and faster than the 512k package they gave me by accident at installation.

The propblem I am having now, and for the last week, happened over night, speeds in the day are totally unacceptable, sometimes less than 1 byte per second....

That is when I can actually log on.

It's now 2:40am and I'm getting 883kpbs here SpeedTest

I think the most likely explanation is that a peice of equipment has gone down at the exchange (or whereever) and they just haven't replaced it yet... I hope so anyway.

Someone asked if TT&T was any better...

I have a friend with TT&T, he's had it for 2-3 weeks, when it was first installed it was crap, my connection was fine, I think he wished he'd gone for ToT, until now of course when mine is unusable and his is fine.

PS There also seems to be some confusion with some guys about speeds.

Someone said this which is incorrect...

A 55 Kbt/sec dowload speed would be about right for a 1024K connection.

A 1 Megabit (1024k) connection transfers data at 1 million bits per second (roughly), this equates to 100,000 bytes per second (roughly)

So for example Goldcyber 1mbit package should download at 100kbytes/S maximum

I use a download manager that can source file downloads from multiple sources, it is actually possible to get just over 100k bytes per second from the Goldcyber package.

Hope that clears up any confusion :o

TT&T is also very yoyo-like. I think we'll have to wait a few more years before we get anything approaching reliability with the Internet situation in Muang Thai. Small line in and greedy CAT officials does not a good situation make.

A popular misconception, don't confuse bits with bytes 8 bits=1 byte

If you are getting 80% efficiency or above, you are doing well. My speed seems to have picked up a little this morning, and I'm running around 82% or Download Speed: 214 kbps (26.8 KB/sec transfer rate) which I can't complain about on a 256/128 connection. It occasionally peaks at 90% plus but not too often.

You have to bear in mind here that you will never achieve 100% download speeds as there are other functions that utilise part of that bandwidth. Anything over 80% in my estimation is acceptable. i.e. 80% figures

256 connection 205 kbps 25.6 KB/sec transfer rate

512 connection 410 kbps 51.2 KB/sec transfer rate

1024 connection 820 kbps 128 KB/sec transfer rate

No. I've had a CS-Loxinfo package over my TT&T line since last August. Some days are better than others, mornings are generally better than later in the day, and I agree with the consensus here that the past week has been particularly bad all around.

A popular misconception, don't confuse bits with bytes 8 bits=1 byte

If you are getting 80% efficiency or above, you are doing well. My speed seems to have picked up a little this morning, and I'm running around 82% or Download Speed: 214 kbps (26.8 KB/sec transfer rate) which I can't complain about on a 256/128 connection. It occasionally peaks at 90% plus but not too often.

You have to bear in mind here that you will never achieve 100% download speeds as there are other functions that utilise part of that bandwidth. Anything over 80% in my estimation is acceptable. i.e. 80% figures

256 connection 205 kbps 25.6 KB/sec transfer rate

512 connection 410 kbps 51.2 KB/sec transfer rate

1024 connection 820 kbps 128 KB/sec transfer rate

Small correction..oops

1024 connection 820 kbps 128 KB/sec transfer rate. of course that should read 102.5 and not 128

As likite asked, does anyone have a suggestion on how to get TOT to do something? I've been to their Head Office and had the same result as others: Blank Stares.

Does anyone have suggestions on what phone number would be the best for all of us to call?

Indeed... we have drifted opff topic slightly... is there ANYTHING that we can do?

The problem is almost certainly outdated/poorly maintained/over subscribed equipment which will require lots of Baht spent to make it work as we'd all like.

I simply won't pay them if the service does not return to "normal"

An engineer is supposed to be coming to the house tomorrow or Thursday, this of course won't help 'cos the problem is their end not mine.

Maybe a signed petition to both TT&T and TOT might carry some clout if there were enough people. Although they have you by the short and curlies really, as there is no satisfactory alternative.

Even if you went to IP Star it's more costly, and still has speed problems, which theoretically it shouldn't.

Well, trying to be hopeful, if we look back just 3 years, broadband internet was a pipe dream for most of us, as it would cost over 5000 baht per month back then. Then suddenly the competition started, and it became available, albeit not the standard one would like.

Another such fit, perhaps precipitated by the gradual loosening of CAT's international bandwidth monopoly, might have a similar effect... hopefully...

No. I've had a CS-Loxinfo package over my TT&T line since last August. Some days are better than others, mornings are generally better than later in the day, and I agree with the consensus here that the past week has been particularly bad all around.

I have the same setup, and same experiences ...