Tot Adsl

SpeedTriple

Another such fit, perhaps precipitated by the gradual loosening of CAT's international bandwidth monopoly, might have a similar effect... hopefully...

Wasn't that 'loosening' supposed to be happening in the first half of 2006?! Or did I missed something?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another such fit, perhaps precipitated by the gradual loosening of CAT's international bandwidth monopoly, might have a similar effect... hopefully...

Wasn't that 'loosening' supposed to be happening in the first half of 2006?! Or did I miss something?

As I remember it, the newspaper articles back then contradicted each other. My memory is kind of blurry, but as I recall, only one ISP would be in the clear by mid 2006, and the rest would have to wait for their applications to be 'considered'... :D:o Perhaps the interrupted political process has slowed the whole thing down?

I have had a CS Loxinfo package on a 1024 TOT line for over a year. I'm in Nong Hoi district. Up until last week it worked quite well. Now it is slower than dialup during the day, and speeds up a bit at night. :o

The TOT line by itself never worked very well, and is now unusable.

Well, I complained to both CS Loxinfo and TOT. I don't know who did what, but as of last night my ADSL connection has been working beautifully. I am getting advertised speeds on bandwidth tests. :o Anyone else see an improvement?

Well, I complained to both CS Loxinfo and TOT. I don't know who did what, but as of last night my ADSL connection has been working beautifully. I am getting advertised speeds on bandwidth tests. :o Anyone else see an improvement?

Mine has been much betterover the last couple of days...

Well, I complained to both CS Loxinfo and TOT. I don't know who did what, but as of last night my ADSL connection has been working beautifully. I am getting advertised speeds on bandwidth tests. smile.gif Anyone else see an improvement?

My connection is a little better too but I've put that down to the holidays.

Can I ask where/who did you complain to with TOT?

I have TOT ADSL and the service is absymal... meaning its about as good as something coming out of a very deep crack in the earth.

There are good days [read sub-par] and bad days [ read non existant] .. That goes for the internet service providers as well as the cell phone companies.

If anything is possible to be said in a positive light for either of the above, that would be that their respective billing departments work to perfection!

My question becomes , is there not a regulatory body that overseess these public and or private service companies? Is there a realistic possibility to ask for and receive, a reduction in the billing amounts to somewhat coincide with the percentage of service rendered?

If so I would like to have the address of this group to which I would like to forward my billing, as obviously I would be vastly in the negative percentage and be desirous of a refund.

Yea I know..... People in hel_l want Ice water too.

:o

The internet has been absolute sh*te today. It has taken just over 1 hour to post this as the connection has failed time and time again.

So I guess it is time to take some action with phone calls and a visit to the local TOT office to see if this can be resolved. The service for 1000 baht, for the want of better words is just not there. Gonzo the Face put it very neatly in his last post.

I am encouraged and gladdened that one or two members have managed to obtain some results from TOT but unfortunately they seem reluctant to share how they were able to this.

If any other members in Chiang Mai are in the same position with their internet connection then post here and maybe just maybe there will be a way to sort them out. Who knows? :D:o

The internet has been absolute sh*te today. It has taken just over 1 hour to post this as the connection has failed time and time again.

So I guess it is time to take some action with phone calls and a visit to the local TOT office to see if this can be resolved. The service for 1000 baht, for the want of better words is just not there. Gonzo the Face put it very neatly in his last post.

I am encouraged and gladdened that one or two members have managed to obtain some results from TOT but unfortunately they seem reluctant to share how they were able to this.

If any other members in Chiang Mai are in the same position with their internet connection then post here and maybe just maybe there will be a way to sort them out. Who knows? :D:o

I've never complained to TOT about mine. It was off for 4 or 5 days, but since Buddhist Lent it's been working great.

I'm not at home, so I don't have the TOT number in front of me. It is a four digit number. I believe I got it off my TOT bill. Not too difficult to find really.

I have about 50 numbers for ADSL repair.... usually get 2 o 3 different ones each time a different repairman comes out to test and tell me things are working great as his meter shows that he is downloading at a million KPS from his speed test site. Unfortunately in 5 years now I can't ever remember wanting to download anything from his speed test site....

at the same time I can't even get to my email...

Try

1100 thats the call center for all TOT and suprisingly one of the better numbers when they put yoou over to the ADSL

Try

11079 Just tell them to cut the crap when they want to know the name of your modem, the make of your modem, is this light on, is that light on, etc and on and on.... Just tell them that they should stop selling more memberships until they get more infrastruction in place.... tell them wires..... the do not understand infrastructure....

Did anyone notice in this last month tel TOT bills they are flogging the new ADSL and cheap membership ..... crowd the lines more

Hope the above numbers help... if not :o

gonzo

Yup, today and yesterday have been the worst yet. I called TOT and a "technician" is coming to the house today (I called 053273300)....

The phone is working only sporadically now too.

Just like the government here in Thailand...... It is working only sporadically now too.

:o

I have about 50 numbers for ADSL repair.... usually get 2 o 3 different ones each time a different repairman comes out to test and tell me things are working great as his meter shows that he is downloading at a million KPS from his speed test site. Unfortunately in 5 years now I can't ever remember wanting to download anything from his speed test site....

at the same time I can't even get to my email...

Try

1100 thats the call center for all TOT and suprisingly one of the better numbers when they put yoou over to the ADSL

Try

11079 Just tell them to cut the crap when they want to know the name of your modem, the make of your modem, is this light on, is that light on, etc and on and on.... Just tell them that they should stop selling more memberships until they get more infrastruction in place.... tell them wires..... the do not understand infrastructure....

Did anyone notice in this last month tel TOT bills they are flogging the new ADSL and cheap membership ..... crowd the lines more

Hope the above numbers help... if not burp.gif

As luck would have it the speed has picked up today and right now its not too bad. But I know this is not going to last :o

I'll use the numbers kindly noted and see what happens.

Another great post Gonzo!

• 3 weeks later...

My connection gets good, then is terrible. For the past 5 days, it has been so slow that I could barely open this website. Often, my connection just didn't work. It was quite frustrating considering that I have a friend in a neighbouring moobaan with the same connection speed (1024/512) and he had no problem.

Today, my connection is MUCH better (better is around 150 kbps). I've called TOT too many times this week to find out what the problem is. I still have no answer.

My connection gets good, then is terrible. For the past 5 days, it has been so slow that I could barely open this website. Often, my connection just didn't work. It was quite frustrating considering that I have a friend in a neighbouring moobaan with the same connection speed (1024/512) and he had no problem.

Today, my connection is MUCH better (better is around 150 kbps). I've called TOT too many times this week to find out what the problem is. I still have no answer.

Earl oW ... the only difficulty faced by TOT and TT&T is coming up with believable excuses of which they are running out.

There is but one answer, TOT is trying to put 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag.....

They keep selling and taking on new memberships but do nothing for the equipment side. Thats the same story as with the cell phone companies. Their marketing and game plan is why spend any money for equipment when people still keep join up. Sure they say, we will loose a few but gain a lots...

One would think that the Ministry of Communication of whatever would crack down on this but guess why not... you guessed it u-no hoo has in fingers in the pie.

OMHO

:o on TOT

Mine has been basicaly unusable for the last week, certainly during sociable hours.

Between 2am and 7am it's fine, no problems whatsoever, but staying up to do my "stuff" until that time everyday is getting boring.

I get the odd day when it's acceptable, around 100k international, but it doesn't seem to last long.

I ran some tests today and packets of data were taking over 1 minute to get to the US and back again, ubelievable.

post-22124-1154933309_thumb.jpg

With all the difficulties many of us have been having with ADSL in the area, I find this to be positively ludicrous.

This is a scan of the envelope in which I just received one of my monthly TOT invoices.

Now as I think most agree that the TOT and TT&T problem is being over suscribed.

It would appear that now TOT, at least, wants more folks sucking on the same pipe, making yet for slower speeds ==== 290 Baht ?????

Probably now trying to compete with the cell phone people to see who can shove more crap onto the consumer and not loose too many

:o:D

I *think* we have TOT service (or should that be, "service"?) as that's the name that appears on the all-too-familiar screen saying the adsl is not connected. However, one of the papers listing the various packages has TT&T on it. Is is the same company or did this paper just get into the pile from the letterbox or something in the confusion of moving in ?

Anyway, must be quick here as who knows when the connection will plunge back into non-existence ... :o

Same experiences as the rest of you. Only had this "Maxnet HOME' package (1,000 baht/month) for a few weeks and it has been off more than on. Complaining brings the assurance that "the technician" (who must be a very busy person :D ) will come to check. When ? Today ? "Maybe today, maybe tomorrow...". Haven't seen this technician yet. It seems the connection comes back - usually briefly - an hour or so after phoning to complain but perhaps I am imagining things. I do wonder if they are rotating the service amongst us in some way.

What can we do to apply some consumer pressure here ? There must be something. I am quite new here so not sure what might be the best way to go about this but handing over the money for virtually no service is getting old very fast - don't you agree ? Group letter to somebody ? Any suggestions ?

Edited by krikrik

What can we do to apply some consumer pressure here ? There must be something. I am quite new here so not sure what might be the best way to go about this but handing over the money for virtually no service is getting old very fast - don't you agree ? Group letter to somebody ? Any suggestions ?

I too have been suffering deteriorating service with TOT DSL even though I have been connected for only a few months. My neighbors/friends are experiencing the same.

Complaining to the very companies that are causing the problem gets us nowhere and results only in excuses. In the past when I had problems with Inet and even CM Immigration, I wrote carefully worded but honest letters to the Bangkok Post and was absolutely amazed at how quickly things changed. Is also helps to ask in the letter to the editor if others are experiencing the same; this draws further comment which supports your cause.

Giving the 'stock company excuses' is easy for providers to give over the phone but responding to a public display of their lack of service is something else again.

So, what if we put together a simple letter to be signed by a number of us here (Concerned Customers, Names & Addresses Supplied :o ) in Chiang Mai and send it to BKK Post as well as Chiang Mai Mail ?

I will try to type something out and others can offer additions / modifications. (This may take a few days since we all have such intermittent access). It is worth a try.

Something I find very interesting is that if you phone you may find yourself connected soon thereafter - if briefly - and if they ask you to test your settings while on the phone to them it seems to suddenly and mysteriously connect ...

Edited by krikrik

OK ... have knocked out the letter below :

We are a group of expatriate residents of Chiang Mai, writing to express our disappointment in the internet service provided by TOT.

Despite paying amounts of up to 20,000 (???) baht per month for so-called "unlimited" high speed internet connection, we are frequently able to connect for only very limited periods each day. Sometimes we are unable to connect at all for days at a time. The connection speeds are also far lower than those promised in the packages.

Telephone calls to the customer service centers of the local and Bangkok TOT offices fail to produce explanations or action. We are advised a technician will visit, but in many cases (???)such a person has never materialized.

We wonder why this highly unsatisfactory situation is allowed to continue and if it is experienced throughout the country ?

It's certainly an extraordinarily easy way to make between 500 and 20,000 baht per household or office per month !

Comments welcome.

If you are willing to add your name, send a PM. I will send it to BKK Post and CM Mail but as a "names and addresses supplied" deal.

I am willing to sign my name but I think that we need to have a bit of room for TOT to "save face."

For example, why don't we send an open letter asking TOT why they are having so many problems at the moment. This letter can be sent to newspapers (both local and national) as well as to TOT. That way, TOT has an opportunity to respond. I am quite frustrated by the fact that I pay a lot of money each month and have terrible service but I've also learned that being too confrontational with Thais can backfire.

Thanks for the comments, earlofw. I was wondering about the face aspect and what intermediate steps might be worth trying before moving on to a complaint in the letters pages.

Would you care to post a quick draft of what you think would be appropriate ?

Best of luck to you guys :o

Agreed. I for one am unwilling to sign on to a group letter sent by someone else. And why would "we" complain as expats? Surely this is a universal problem.

With a little imagination I am sure that individuals can post a letter to the editors of appropriate media that unemotionally explains the perceived problems, asks if these problems are unique to the writer and if not, asks if there are possible solutions.

I also do not subscribe to the thought that TOT or any other provider is intentionally jerking us around. Thailand is pretty new to this stuff and good help is hard to find. I have had TOT send guys over who barely know what a computer is, never mind understand about connection speeds but TOT did one time send over a couple of young guys who hooked up their own laptop and sophisticated test equipment and got me up and running in mere minutes. It would not surprise me if they are two of but a few more who have any idea what is going on in the field and even they were obviously gun-shy over being harranged about the myriad of problems that exist in their own company's ability to provide consistent service.

Like everyone else, I get frustrated over poor service and believe that any company should actually be able to provide the service they offer before they sell it. But then I also know that to expect or even hope for logic to prevail only gonna make me older, faster. This ain't about cinnamon buns where you can only sell what you have on the counter; if people in greater and greater numbers are requesting DSL service and waving money around, who do you think is going to say, "No thanks, we is full up." ?

Good luck...

Best of luck to you guys :o

Like everyone else, I get frustrated over poor service and believe that any company should actually be able to provide the service they offer before they sell it. But then I also know that to expect or even hope for logic to prevail only gonna make me older, faster. This ain't about cinnamon buns where you can only sell what you have on the counter; if people in greater and greater numbers are requesting DSL service and waving money around, who do you think is going to say, "No thanks, we is full up." ?

Good luck...

Dusty, I can and do agree with most of what you post, but must beg to differ on the emboldened line above.

I think perhaps you are missing the point that many of are making. Yes service was promised.

Yes the levels of service promised are in most cases not attained.

Yes the monthly billing [Dept] is operating to perfection, and in full amount.

There is no credit even discussed for getting less service than promised for that amount of money.

But as with any GOOD business and with consideration of the customer. TOT should [as I have heard TT&T has offered] discuss a billing credit of 'X' amount for the TOT's inability to provide their part of the bargain.

No one would expect them to say 'no we is full up' to any customer, BUT at the same time we, the customer's who are unable to get the agreed upon service from TOT due to the lack of equipment to handle the amount of present customers, DO NOT appreciate the fact that TOT is actively and heavily marketing to gain new customers. This is just not correct business practice.

If you agree to provide service to your customer, then there is only ONE answer. " YOU PROVIDE IT" anything else is just an excuse and/or bad management.

You arrange to provide the promised service with the addition of new or more equipment , THEN you go on a marketing campagin for new business...

JMO

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face