Tot Adsl

SpeedTriple

Reasonable enough answer Dustoff... and you probably have a better perspective on it than me. The thing that I find unreasonable is the fact that I was promised a certain level of service/speed and the company has not performed to that standard. I wouldn't be satisfied with a breach in contract in my other business affairs so why would I tolerate it with my internet service provider? In any case, you are probably right that a group letter is likely not the best route to take at this time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't internet cafe's owners in the same predicament? I am not so sure. I am in contact with one person in CM who is an internet cafe owner and she is not indicating any problems to me. Why not? Perhaps some of you can do some research by talking to the internet cafe owners and find out (or by using their service). I did not notice --in general-- incredibly poor speed last year when I was in internet cafes in CM, but then it is possible that the increasing number of people using services might push the "system" to its limits. Can one get cable internet in Chiang Mai?

In terms of the letter, it seems that you have notified the companies many times --at least the lower echellons< I wonder if this info has reached the top echellons of those companies, in which case a ltter to them first (before sending anything to the papers) would be a good strategy, asking for deadlines and specific answers. Can't you not boycott --to some degree-- their services by downgrading to modem plans? If this were done en masse, then perhaps they might listen to you, especially if you let them know (show that you attach letters to the CM expats' club, the Bangkok Post,...). I think you have done what you could by notifying the company at a local level, but maybe this is a regional problem. It is not an easy problem, though. Maybe the letter sent to papers and comanies could be translated in Thai,... asking for boycotts,... Maybe many thai people will join your cause and put more pressure on those companies. There is strength in number.

Edited by MyPenRye

Actually, I do know of internet cafes who are also having problems. One friend of mine is switching this week from TOT to TRUE (a cable connection that is available primarily in the centre areas of the city). Her cafe has had terrible connection lately as well.

However; from what I can tell, businesses do have a better connection line. My neighbour spends 7000 baht / month to get a business line through TT&T. His connection definitely is better than my consumer line.

I have been wondering about the internet cafes, too. Would one need to give someone a special gift :o to keep a net cafe business running ?

It seems there's no real interest in a group letter at this point (& some disagreement with the idea) so I will hold off. It is just that my other attempts to get some satisfaction have failed. I have already spent many hours on the phone and waiting around for technicians who never arrive. I have spoken to some people I was told were in management positions in BKK and CM. Renewed efforts in the last few days ... will see if this makes any difference. The person in BKK indicated that customers could dispute the bill if they believed service was unsatisfactory. I would prefer not to need to go to that trouble but would do so to make a point and others might like to consider doing so, too.

The service I am receiving is not just patchy - it is almost non-existent. That is just not acceptable. If we accept the status quo, I am very much afraid it will only become worse.

I absolutely agree that if expats and locals can have a united voice on this, all the better.

Anyway, all ideas welcome. I do think it is important we keep this thread running, for a number of reasons.

Edited by krikrik

I think perhaps you are missing the point that many of are making.

Well thanks Gonads for Face! (Dusty indeed) :o

My impression was that we were moving on from the five pages of identifying the problem to solution-finding.

Do you have any suggestions? As I agree with you, how do we get this fixed?

I think perhaps you are missing the point that many of are making.

Do you have any suggestions? As I agree with you, how do we get this fixed?

How about calling dubbya and tell him that you have it from an uni-peach-able source, that TOT is a front for Al Que da tip and The Hezz bowler.

:o

Actually, I do know of internet cafes who are also having problems. One friend of mine is switching this week from TOT to TRUE (a cable connection that is available primarily in the centre areas of the city). Her cafe has had terrible connection lately as well.

However; from what I can tell, businesses do have a better connection line. My neighbour spends 7000 baht / month to get a business line through TT&T. His connection definitely is better than my consumer line.

Mmm! Money talks, hey! Interesting that some internet cafes are also having problems. Although they are "businesses", they could be a good group to ally to to get a decent service.

What kind of speed businesses are getting?

It would be also interesting to know what speed cable is getting.

When you say "cable service is being provided primarily in the 'the center of the city'", do you mean Tae Pae Gate area or does it extend to the "old town" (within the moat)? Is Kad suan Khae mall included?

Thanks for the info.

I have been using TRUE cable internet for about 6 months, worked perfectly until about 2 weeks ago.

Ever since then, to put it succinctly, its been cr@p!

Some days I can't even log in. As a matter of fact I'm posting this using dial up - also slower than normal but at least I can connect!

I have been using TRUE cable internet for about 6 months, worked perfectly until about 2 weeks ago.

Ever since then, to put it succinctly, its been cr@p!

Some days I can't even log in. As a matter of fact I'm posting this using dial up - also slower than normal but at least I can connect!

I guess you were not the only one to think of switching to cable! There does not seem to be a way out of this problem, but to complain (or boycott) until the companies in question put more money (and lines) into the system.

Edited by MyPenRye

Thanks for the feedback about TRUE.

TOT has been better here recently (***TOUCH WOOD***). Some technicians did finally visit; whether the improvement was related to this and/or the many hours on the telephone or not I cannot say.

How are other TOT users finding the service lately ?

TOT has been better here recently (***TOUCH WOOD***). Some technicians did finally visit; whether the improvement was related to this and/or the many hours on the telephone or not I cannot say.

It sucks. When working, I never get more then 8 kpbs as download

Edited by Ajarn

In keeping with this problem line.... I notice that there is a similar problem being discussed in the Pattay a forum... again with TOT & TT&T.

Unless it is a typo they have a better price on the 512/256 ADSL than we here in CM I pay 800 plus the tax , they indicate 700 p/mo TOT

The connection cut out the instant I made my previous post :o .

It has been better here overall, though, which it most definitely needed to be if TOT was interested in receiving their payment.

Here's my TOT ADSL story. I had been fairly happy with the service until the last couple of months, when it started cutting outfor a few hours each day. And then a week or so ago it stopped working entirely, except for a few brief minutes each day (I knew because my email client would automatically update once a day). So I was on the phone with TOT, asking for service, then complaining that no service was coming, then after the repairman showed up, complaining again that he didn't do anything. So he came back later in the day, we tested everything, and determined that my modem was bad. Naturally, I was skeptical, but the readings on his equipment were OK up until the signal went into the crappy generic modem I bought when I signed up with TOT over a year ago. So off to Pantip to pick up a snazzy new router, and I am back in business, pulling 760kbps on loxinfo's speedtest. The moral of the story is that computers are a major pain in the @$$.

By the way, other TOT customers might improve their connections by adjusting their settings according to the updates on their adsl service site at http://203.154.210.35/ Note that tomorrow, August 16, they have announced a service upgrade for GoldCyber. Let's see what happens.

Thanks, Puwa - very informative.

Our service is still ( *****TOUCH WOOD*****) much better than previously. A team of three technicians visited (finally) and they did appear to have some idea of what they were doing. They told us we had a "noisy line" and possibly did something to help with that. In any case, there has been a (****TOUCH WOOD****) definite improvement since they visited.

The power went out soon after they arrived and we assumed they'd switched it off. When they were leaving, we chased after them to ask them to put it back. They told us they had not turned the power off and drove away. It did take a while to convey the message so it may well have been pure co-incidence but ...who knows :o ? The power was off in our neighbourhood for an hour or so after.

However, I do advise phoning until the technicians arrive.

Here's my TOT ADSL story. I had been fairly happy with the service until the last couple of months, when it started cutting outfor a few hours each day. And then a week or so ago it stopped working entirely, except for a few brief minutes each day (I knew because my email client would automatically update once a day). So I was on the phone with TOT, asking for service, then complaining that no service was coming, then after the repairman showed up, complaining again that he didn't do anything. So he came back later in the day, we tested everything, and determined that my modem was bad. Naturally, I was skeptical, but the readings on his equipment were OK up until the signal went into the crappy generic modem I bought when I signed up with TOT over a year ago. So off to Pantip to pick up a snazzy new router, and I am back in business, pulling 760kbps on loxinfo's speedtest. The moral of the story is that computers are a major pain in the @$$.

By the way, other TOT customers might improve their connections by adjusting their settings according to the updates on their adsl service site at http://203.154.210.35/ Note that tomorrow, August 16, they have announced a service upgrade for GoldCyber. Let's see what happens.

Very interesting!

As a point of interest (as it might be relevant), is there anyone out here being careful with surge protection (and has been right from the beginning)? I am not too sure if this is useful in Chiang Mai or even relevant, not being an electrical engineer, but I do know that surges and spikes do affect electrical equipment and especially computers of course. In fact, my laptop stopped working while I was in Pucket last year and I am now wondering if it might not have been because of surges as i did not have any surge protection. Mind you, it was an old, second-hand unit, so it's hard to tell.

Edited by MyPenRye

I've noticed a big increase in my connectino speed since the 16th of this month. I guess there really was an upgrade to teh goldcyber service. While the speed is still nowhere near the max, it is a heck of a lot better than what it has been. I'll have to bookmark that site you gave us PUWA. Thanks.

As far as electrical surges, I have them on anything important in my home. I agree that it's wise to have them.

You can buy them at pretty much any computer store that sells computers. I went to Chiang Mai North Computer Plaxa (it's on the Superhighway near Chotana Road / Mae Rim Road with the sign that says it's the biggest computer store in the North). If you walk in the entrance on the first floor, there are several places that sell them. They also range in quality and in price. I got the mid-range ones. I can't remember the exact price but they were around 1000-1600 baht each.

Edited by earlofwindermere