On death of a Thai spouse

That is indeed the case. When your wife dies you would be able to stay in Thailand till the extension of stay expires, but would than need to find your own reason for staying in Thailand to remain here.

If you have children, that is one option.

• Like 1

OP, get your drift. There will be a swelling population of 70+ farangs in Thailand, who settled here in the eighties/nineties or even before that, when they were mostly already not so young anymore. Apart from the problem you mentioned, imagine having to go through visa extension procedures (?appear in person) when you are 87.

Edited by keestha

If you wife was to die you would have until your current extension ends to sort things out.

if you have children from the marriage you could also change to an extension as the parent of a Thai.

There is a provision in the police order for extensions to apply for an extension outside of the normal requirements also.

• Like 1

I'm curious, but you mention "if you have children". Would these children need to be minors for a father to be able to stay or would he be able to stay even if the children are over 18?

There is no age limit. It is for being the parent of a Thai.

If they were an adult it would be even easier than if they are young because you would not need to prove they are living with you,

As I have already posted on this forum, if your Thai spouse predeceases you, you immediately revert to 'Tourist' status. If you do not have the requisite finance to hand to apply for a 'retirement extension' you are obliged to dispose of your marital home within ONE year. IF you have chldren together, you may apply for a 'Dependant's' visa. If not, you have absolutly no rights and must sell your marital home, even though you are going through bereavement. Nice country eh?

There is no immediate. The extension of stay based upon marriage will be valid until it expires.

That was recently clarified when they changed the form for acknowledging the conditions of your extension.

In reality you would not have to sell the home you could make arrangements to transfer the land to somebody and get a lease or usufruct to use the land.

Indeed, your extension based upon mariage to a Thai national doesn't expire for the, hopefully, few weeks/days/months / left on such 'extension' after your spouse dies.

And

In reality you would not have to sell the home you could make arrangements to transfer the land to somebody and get a lease or usufruct to use the land.

Please laugh.png

My contention stands, Cruel.

Edited by jpeg

What is the rate of older men outliving their Thai brides ?

Very slim I would imagine. The normal 40-50 age gap being the reason.

Are you mental or just plain crazy???

You actual believe the normal age gap is 40-50 years????

So a guy retires at 55 here, his gf is 5 or 15,

Go away please you iritate me.

I know a guy who was 74 and his GF was 29.... gap = 45

This is exactly why most countries in the world would grant you RP or even citizenship. But the visa system is only a "Pay and stay".

If you would more encourage expats to learn language and culture and give also give real chance to people who are not already wealthy this would be a step in the right direction...

Living here based on a spouse for many years or even decades and then forced to sell it all sounds very cruel. But who knows maybe if you are fighting for it and explaining your situation Immigration would do exceptional cases where foreigners can still live here even without the financial restrictions for visa types.

• Like 1

What happens if you are a permanent resident? I know two people who had their wife die on them. One his wife was not that much younger and she died of cancer, and the other his wife was about 30 years younger and she died of a motorcycle accident. Fortunately both had the financial means to switch to a retirement visa or were already on one. I would guess that the average age gap is from 10 to 30 years.

What happens if you are a permanent resident? I know two people who had their wife die on them. One his wife was not that much younger and she died of cancer, and the other his wife was about 30 years younger and she died of a motorcycle accident. Fortunately both had the financial means to switch to a retirement visa or were already on one. I would guess that the average age gap is from 10 to 30 years.

What do you mean by "Permanent Resident"? Having a PR Book and Alien Book or just living here all the time on a visa with marriage extension? Did either one of the aforementioned people have an actual PR book? What I would like to know is if a person has received a PR Book based on being married to a Thai and his Thai spouse dies before him is he still able to stay in Thailand as before using his PR Book? Since the PR Book is valid for life unless revoked I assume the person's immigration status will stay the same. Anyone have any experience concerning this situation?

Edited by johnh869

What do you mean by "Permanent Resident"? Having a PR Book and Alien Book or just living here all the time on a visa with marriage extension? Did either one of the aforementioned people have an actual PR book? What I would like to know is if a person has received a PR Book based on being married to a Thai and his Thai spouse dies before him is he still able to stay in Thailand as before using his PR Book? Since the PR Book is valid for life unless revoked I assume the person's immigration status will stay the same. Anyone have any experience concerning this situation?

Once permanent residency is granted you do not have to maintain the reason that it was granted for.

If marriage is terminated for any reason it would still be valid.

• Like 2

Thank you very much UbonJoe for your response. Can you specify where this info is in the Thai immigration laws? Or I guess it is just implicit since the PR Book is good for life. I received my PR Book in May 1996. So, just curious.

Edited by johnh869

What is the rate of older men outliving their Thai brides ?

Very slim I would imagine. The normal 40-50 age gap being the reason.

I think you would find that you are wrong about the age gap if you could find any real statistics to support your opinion.

I think you would find the average is closer to 20 years.

Mine is 9 years, 11 months. For what it's worth. cheesy.gif

Edited by Just1Voice
  • Like 1