Myanmar visa

mezman

Hi , I am going to Myanmar next month and want to know if I need a visa before going there or can I get one at the airport ? I am an Australian citizen living in Thailand on a retirement visa and will be flying into Mandalay .

Hello Mezman,

You will need a visa before you depart to Myanmar, as you are flying in to Mandalay.

The Myanmar govt recently introduce a new online e-visa service, but it is in its early stage of release and it only issues a visa for arrivals at Yangon airport at this stage.

Info can be found here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/750128-myanmar-online-e-visas-to-debut-in-september/?p=8229276#entry8229276

A couple of questions:

- Are you travelling to Myanmar as a tourist?

- where in Thailand are you based? As the embassy is in Bangkok, and you'll need to visit the embassy to apply for your Myanmar Visa

Let us know if you need more assistance

SVB

• Like 1

Yes and no VOA starts I think in September,have to look up that one

Not a VOA, it is a pre-issued Tourist Visa that officially starts online 1st September (see above post for link to info)

There are no Visa On Arrival for Myanmar - they are always pre-arranged. The terminology can be confusing.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your help .As I understand it I definitely need a visa before I go. As I cant get one via the internet and I live in Patong what are my options? I did visit Myanmar last year and crossed at the land border at Mesai , no problems there just paid a small fee .

Thanks to all for your help .As I understand it I definitely need a visa before I go. As I cant get one via the internet and I live in Patong what are my options? I did visit Myanmar last year and crossed at the land border at Mesai , no problems there just paid a small fee .

Hi mezman,

It is a different issue for land border crossings - sure you can pay a small fee to cross and remain with a certain distance of that district - but you cannot enter and continue overland to other destinations in Myanmar unless you have an embassy issued visa beforehand.

As you said that you are intending to travel to Mandalay, you will need to get a visa first.

It is possible to get a visa issued at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok in one day (submit application in the morning before midday, pick up between 3:30-4:30pm same day, cost is 1240 baht for this express same day issue)

However there are some agencies which can arrange a visa for you if you are not able to travel to Bangkok before you head to Myanmar, if you read through the thread I linked to earlier I think PhuketRichard has posted some info about it, or let me know and I'll send you the details. The cost for doing this is obviously higher but at least you don't have to travel to arrange this yourself.

Finally - ask around at some of the larger Thai travel agencies in Patong to see if they will arrange a Myanmar visa for you (they will need to send your passport away for up to a week to Bangkok). I have not heard of any that do this in Patong, but then again I don't visit there often and haven't asked.

Hope this all helps

SVB

Not a VOA, it is a pre-issued Tourist Visa that officially starts online 1st September (see above post for link to info)

There are no Visa On Arrival for Myanmar - they are always pre-arranged. The terminology can be confusing.

I used the pre approved visa on arrival, valid for 28 days last month as i flew into Mandalay,

easy to arrange, cost $75 and no trouble on arrival.

Well worth it as did not need to stop in Bangkok for a night as i live in Phuket

Looking forward to the voa for Mandalay!!

To find them just google it number one.

Note it needs 15 days in advance to be done or they charge u more for rush service. You can also apply for a business visa valid for 75 day entry

Funny, the visa they issue you is a full page and it is stapled in not glued

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I used the pre approved visa on arrival, valid for 28 days last month as i flew into Mandalay,

easy to arrange, cost $75 and no trouble on arrival.

Well worth it as did not need to stop in Bangkok for a night as i live in Phuket

Looking forward to the voa for Mandalay!!

To find them just google it number one.

Note it needs 15 days in advance to be done or they charge u more for rush service. You can also apply for a business visa valid for 75 day entry

Funny, the visa they issue you is a full page and it is stapled in not glued

$75, only 1000 or so baht in bkk

Stapled not glued,that is good,mine was glued,tried to get it out of passport ,made a mess. Some of these damned countries for some reason take all the page Egypt Vietnam indonesia just aviod them passport gets filled too quickly

its 1,240 for same day,

800 for 2 days

add on taxi back and forth from airport an embassy,

i night accommodations and food........

why would u try an remove a visa. Thats Illegal!!!

Laos, Cambodia, Burma, India, Nepal, Vietnam,Thailand, Indo all full pages

so only travel to Malaysia an Singapore??

its 1,240 for same day,

800 for 2 days

any information what documents are necessary to apply for the 75-days Business Visa ? Is it good for multiple entries within a period of 75 days ? and how many days u r permitted per stay ?

its 1,240 for same day,

800 for 2 days

india no,Thai new one on me,excepting 12 monthvisa. Miss out the others even stopovers in China full page there too. Au USA India OK. If I could not do the Burma dash from 3 pagoda Pass there too

Edited by loppylugs1

Thailand all visas!! are full pages,

Visa exempt stamps. arrival /departure are only small stamps.

My American friend has a 10 year Indian visa an it is a full page

Myanmar

tourist visa on the website is $50

U can not apply for a Business EVISA online at the official site

BUT u can apply for the pre approved VOA Business visa

For obtaining Myanmar Business Visa, what are the documents required?

The most important documents are your passport, photos, license endorsement letter from your company in Myanmar, and Invitation from your counterpart in Myanmar which can be company, Non-government organization, or Government organization.

it is valid for 70 days not 75 ( sorry)

wish we could post the link as it would help all but.....

Edited by phuketrichard

any one here info on the land crossing at Mae sot? The one in Kanchanaburi now requires you get a maynmar visa from BKK in order to go across, I used to go to mae sot all the time and pay the 500 baht to cross and spend the day, are they now also requiring an embassy visa?