Divorcing in Thailand and then my home country

bkkheat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I will get a divorce soon, we got married in Australia first, then did it here a few years later.

SO, when we register the divorce with the Thai registry, how do I go about getting it done for Australia? Anyone know?[/quote

In a normal divorce providing there are no disputes ,then you apply for a "Decree Nici and then after a period of 12 months you are given a date for a short court appearance where you and your wife will declare that you have an irretrievable breakdown in your marriage and, then you will be asked a few questions after which you will be given a "Decree Absolute" and that's about it.

Bare in mind my divorce was 20 + years ago

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be grateful if someone could answer this related question. I am Irish, seperated nearly 1 year. Can i get my Irish marraige disolved in Thailand and then marry a Thai lady.

Any advice please

Not really. No Thai authority will do anything about your Irish marriage unless it was registed here, and that is unlikely to happen. You will have to divorce in Ireland (possibly by power of attorney) or any other country that is willing to take up your case.

Hi,

I will get a divorce soon, we got married in Australia first, then did it here a few years later.

SO, when we register the divorce with the Thai registry, how do I go about getting it done for Australia? Anyone know?[/quote

In a normal divorce providing there are no disputes ,then you apply for a "Decree Nici and then after a period of 12 months you are given a date for a short court appearance where you and your wife will declare that you have an irretrievable breakdown in your marriage and, then you will be asked a few questions after which you will be given a "Decree Absolute" and that's about it.

Bare in mind my divorce was 20 + years ago

That answers how a a normal divorce in (was) done in Australia.

It doesn't answer how a foreign divorce is registered in Australia especially when one of the spouses is not present.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a bit of advice from someone who may have experienced this;

I married a Thai lady at the local Amphur some nine years ago. In order that she would be able to obtain a widows pension when I pop my clogs I registered the wedding in the UK. I seem to remember doing this at the Embassy in Bangkok(might be wrong). I have now divorced, again at the local Amphur, and have my divorce paper.

Do I have to go and cancel any registration of the marriage in the UK? I have contacted the Embassy in Bangkok and they say that they don't register marriages in the UK. I'm thinking if I remarry here am I still classed as being married in the UK?

I have spoke with a lawyer who says that I have to get the divorce paper translated and take it to the ministry of foreign affairs, which seems a little bit strange to me . Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

SO, when we register the divorce with the Thai registry, how do I go about getting it done for Australia? Anyone know?

It's good to see you woke up and are getting out of your situation.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"Divorcing in Thailand and then my home country"

Is that just like a wedding happening in both countries so you can invite both the man's family and friends on Oz for the divorce ceremony/party then the woman's family and friends for the divorce ceremony/party?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hmmm... 

Does one and/or both have to attend Amphur?

Does it have to be the same Amphur as the Wedding took place?

Can Divorce be done Online? (as it can in Aust) 

If someone marries Thai in Amphur, then goes to Aust for falang marriage; does the Amphur get informed automatically? i.e thru Immigration channels, due to a Aust passport coming about due to Marriage... 

Scenario:

Thai woman marries falang in Amphur

Thai woman brought to Aust, and they do an Australian marriage formally.

Thai wife later gets Citizenship.

11 years later they get an Australian Divorce

Question at this point: 

Does Thailand i.e the Amphur get informed automatically of an Australian done Divorce, from a marriage of a Thai overseas? 

10 years later Thai 'Divorcee' marries another Aussie(me)

This time only a marriage done in Australia. Nothing in Thailand.

5 years later...now!

Mrs out of the  blue comes out with:

"I not Divorced from 'paul' in Thailand"  (Officially Amphur Married 1993)

"I might have to talk to him"  (she'n'him never spoken face to face for 12 years) (OZ divorce 2006)

"I might have to tell him, and have to him sign papers?" 

wow... so I was quick in come back

"well if you are not Divorced,

for the same reasoning so I am also not Divorced from my Filo ex

( I  did a local (Filo) marriage (1995) , with a follow up 'family' one in Australia, and also Divorced in Australian Court (2000).

I too assume that local Marriage Dept (Filo) gets informed automatically through some International interdepartmental communications?.

So; I am hoping she (thai mrs) leaves well be, as I don't want a hornets nest opened up 

It would be very messy...

Can't believe what she comes out with! especially when one should be concentrating upon levels of priority!

"He can get passport Thailand because he is Married to a Thai" 

"He can go live in Thailand because... etc etc

This has been in her head for 8 years and only now comes out with all this!

Why can't Thais be open?

i.e the truth the whole truth, and nothing but the truth  

anyways, it now clearly explains why she twisted and turned, to not have an Amphur marriage to me 5 years ago; just an aussie one.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 6:54 AM, Irish Citizen said:

I would be grateful if someone could answer this related question. I am Irish, seperated nearly 1 year. Can i get my Irish marraige disolved in Thailand and then marry a Thai lady.

Any advice please

Yes you can I did this  some years ago I'm from Britain

• 4 weeks later...

To carry this thread on, but tailored to the situation and laws of UK, say hypothetically your wife agrees to an uncontested Amphur divorce in Thailand (as that was the original jurisdiction of the marriage) and you get the divorce certificate, then how do you go about getting unmarried in UK, where the couple have lived for the past 11 years? i.e. once legally divorced in Thailand, what is the process in getting de-registered as a married couple in UK? Who does one go to for a start, as presumably the various govt authorities won't take a Thai divorce paper, even if translated, as proof? Preferably someone with direct experience of this process can explain the steps and any potential pitfalls.

whatever anybody does do not marry or bring them to Australia they will do anything to move away from their country at any cost I had one from thailand had a child pretended to like and love me only when i brought her here found somebody else had another child and found out latter that she had made fun of me back in thailand moral of the story be very careful who you sponsor to bring here always better to leave them in the country were they originally were born not thinking that would respect you in the end which they don't and never ever will.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, kanga09 said:

whatever anybody does do not marry or bring them to Australia they will do anything to move away from their country at any cost I had one from thailand had a child pretended to like and love me only when i brought her here found somebody else had another child and found out latter that she had made fun of me back in thailand moral of the story be very careful who you sponsor to bring here always better to leave them in the country were they originally were born not thinking that would respect you in the end which they don't and never ever will.

Still beating the same drum I see.

Archived