My Phuket Garden Chillis ain't looking so HOT !

Hi Gents,

I Only started growing some chillis one year ago so my knowledge is limited but after an OK year of imported chilli seeds producing large plants and OK supply of pods they're all starting to look a bit diseased,

I was thinking Aphids from the past few evenings on google but no sign of them or eggs. No sign of much on the plants themselves.

I have Bhut Jolokia, Scotch Bonner, Trinidad Scorpion, and Purple, White, Chocolate types. All to some degree seem to be affected except the Cherry Bomb. When I say affected pls see attached photos.

Some plants have lost most of their leaves in the past 3 weeks, my maid assures me they're not dead, there are some new leaves starting to grow but from what I've read is it best to throw/burn the infected plants and start again, which will hurt alot but well to the world of growing stuff !

Thanks in advance, more photos available if required ....

SB

Ps The first 2 pics show the problem leaves/plants currently, the rest of the pics show the HAPPY days !!!!

post-170242-0-35650600-1409020385_thumb.

post-170242-0-31045500-1409020412_thumb.

post-170242-0-23548100-1409021159_thumb.

post-170242-0-07589400-1409021182_thumb.

post-170242-0-31461700-1409021204_thumb.

post-170242-0-21184100-1409021221_thumb.

post-170242-0-27776800-1409021288_thumb.

post-170242-0-77579800-1409021332_thumb.

post-170242-0-50518900-1409021352_thumb.

post-170242-0-38271200-1409021374_thumb.

post-170242-0-63125400-1409021412_thumb.

post-170242-0-85805700-1409021434_thumb.

Edited by SurinBeach

I myself have had problems with imported chili seeds, and have reverted to planting the Thai chili. Despite the rain we are having, we are taking a good crop now. One problem I do have in my garden is that tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and so on (members of the solanaceae family) generally do not do well, there are various persistent soil born diseases that require that you desist from planting members of this family for a number of years. I myself am going to apply wood vinegar to the soil as well as following my wife's advice of turning the soil and leaving it to 'burn' in the sun. There are chemical solutions I am sure.

Your first picture looks like some kind of leaf mining insect attack.

Nothing wrong with harvesting green chilis.

Some of your photos suggest a lack of micro elements like iron, magnesium or something, maybe you need a better growing medium.

Edited by cooked

I myself have had problems with imported chili seeds, and have reverted to planting the Thai chili. Despite the rain we are having, we are taking a good crop now. One problem I do have in my garden is that tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and so on (members of the solanaceae family) generally do not do well, there are various persistent soil born diseases that require that you desist from planting members of this family for a number of years. I myself am going to apply wood vinegar to the soil as well as following my wife's advice of turning the soil and leaving it to 'burn' in the sun. There are chemical solutions I am sure.

Your first picture looks like some kind of leaf mining insect attack.

Nothing wrong with harvesting green chilis.

Some of your photos suggest a lack of micro elements like iron, magnesium or something, maybe you need a better growing medium.

Thanks Cooked !

I have a few Thai chilli plants but wanted to grow non-Thai chillis for a variety .....

90% of my plants are in Large pots with purchased soil from Thai "Garden Centres" .....with a weekly dose of Tomato type feed, watered 3 times a week, located in shade to the rear of my South facing house.

Where to buy a better growing medium is the question ....Where do u buy ?

Thanks

SB

Ah. A lot of the stuff you buy is spent mushroom compost, absolutely no nutritional value at all. I make my own potting mixture but I live on a farm with access to manure and so on.

I haven't had the courage to try aquaponics yet, might be an option for you, big thread about it on the farming / organic gardening forum, which is where this thread should be really.

Hi all, Surinbeach, it certainly looks like leaf miner attack, so you will need to get a systemic pesticide and also make some of your own pest oil, which you will find on the internet, mix them together and spray in the evening when the sun has set otherwise you will burn the foliage, would like to see some more pics, It could be a Potassium deficiency so just keep an eye on the pale green patches and see if they progress to the edges of the leaf and turn brown, at the early stages of leaf miner attack and the early stages of a Potassium deficiency can sometimes look a little the same, particularly with a heavy fruit loading.

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

OK thanks Cooked, Mmmmm so how/what do I buy /do to rectify it,

I usually feed once a week with tomato type feed small balls !!!

I wonder if my feeding the tomato feed too much can cause problems .....

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/pepper/nutritional_requirements/nutritional_disorders_in_peppers/

I guess I'll feed half ...and not feed the other half !

Peppers and tomatoes love pure manure. Your soil seems to have deficiency. As stated above potting soil sucks don't use it for actually growing fruit. mix real soil, manure and some of the compost used in the potting soil. My peppers and tomatoes both love full sun. looks like you have them shaded in the pic.

Never tried to grow those types here though. I had the same issues that you have when I was growing red bell peppers. Ripen before they were ripe. Just not enough nutrients in the soil.

Peppers and tomatoes love pure manure. Your soil seems to have deficiency. As stated above potting soil sucks don't use it for actually growing fruit. mix real soil, manure and some of the compost used in the potting soil. My peppers and tomatoes both love full sun. looks like you have them shaded in the pic.

Never tried to grow those types here though. I had the same issues that you have when I was growing red bell peppers. Ripen before they were ripe. Just not enough nutrients in the soil.

Thanks Zeichen

I'll try and find some manure but I live Phuket and not too sure where to buy some ....or how to ask !

My chillis really suffer if in full sun, have tried and the dont like it much at all....

Regards

SB

I would send you a foto of the fertiliser I bought containing many microelements. However water has almost destroyed the label. It is a Bayer product, might be called Bayfolan. This worked wonders for my peppercorn plant which had been sulking in a corner for a year with yellow leaves.

• Like 1

I would send you a foto of the fertiliser I bought containing many microelements. However water has almost destroyed the label. It is a Bayer product, might be called Bayfolan. This worked wonders for my peppercorn plant which had been sulking in a corner for a year with yellow leaves.

Thanks COOKED I'll try and find some ...somewhere in Phuket !

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info the feed I've been given was just from my local plant shop and its called GoldenFlowers ....

Contains

Advantage Nitrogen (N)

Advantage Phosphate (P2O5)

Water base Potass (K20)

Magnessium (MgO)

Calcium (CaO)

Sulfur(S)

But doesn't say in what quantities !

Regards

SB and the existing Chilli which seem to have weathered the storm, are looking OK but still have light patches on the leaves !