Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

Well this will look great in Europe and other countries that like to come here for holidays and enjoy,have fun and party. This will for sure remove the smile on may Thais that will be out of a job. But hey, when did goverments in this country ever care for anyone but them self.

• Like 1

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good friend works for Diageo putting together launch events in bars, discos and hotels around and about. I guess she will be NOT be out of a job then.

Tax the stuff by alchohol content and this whole discussion becomes moot. Whisky would become too expensive and everyone would drink beer and wine. Problem solved.

Did they not reach the maximum tax limit a year or two back and introduce a new tax on alcohol content?

Instead of installing harsh punishments for corruption and bribery, as well as effective law enforcement on the streets to reduce the 26.000 death rate, they are going to ruin businesses. The problem is not the consumption of alcohol but the driving under influence of. First things first dear Government. But putting the cart before the horse is probably more Thai style, or?

• Like 2

A good friend works for Diageo putting together launch events in bars, discos and hotels around and about. I guess she will be NOT be out of a job then.

Tax the stuff by alchohol content and this whole discussion becomes moot. Whisky would become too expensive and everyone would drink beer and wine. Problem solved.

Taxes are already based on alcohol content.

burp.gifAbout time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Praise the lord burp.gif speaking of him, was not his first miracle turning water into wine, now there was a man you could have followed!

Of course a spiritual teacher wouldn't turn water into wine. It's a translation error. The Greek word means wine fermented or not fermented.

what about Thai beer sponsoring UK football, Chang is Everton anywhere else?

Shirt logo will probably be "Blurred" out like they do to people smoking.Not an easy job for the TV boys when someone is flying down the pitch at 100 km

• Like 1

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

There is very little in life that wont kill you eventually - even breathing (especially in BKK)

The problem with draconian legislation is that it will always be ignored or people will find ways around it that will generate income only for the black market (eg prohibition in the USA)

People drink to excess in order to escape their problems - the only cure is to address the problems that cause it.

Age 20 is way above the normal age for becoming an adult (18 in most countries) Having a law to ban 18/19 year olds from drinking will have no more effect than the current ones that ban 15/16 year olds

In sensible countries children learn to drink responsibly from much younger ages alongside their parents - France/Spain etc. Of course some will abuse it but those who want to abuse will never be controlled by legislation - quite the opposite - the fact it is illegal makes it far more attractive to young people who are inclined to rebel.

This will not stop drunken behavior amongst young people - it will not stop adutls from drinking as much as they want to - what it will do is impact the tourist industry (again) and more seriously impact the effective available income for poorer Thai families where the father will simply use more of the household budget on drink, some younger people will commit more crime to fund their habit.

Positive promotion always works more effectively than negative - so promote healthier passtimes but, more importantly, work to address the social issues that drive people to substance abuse in the first place. Contrary to what many people here think, most people drink responsibly and yet those people will also have their pleasure curtailed by a ridiculous blanket solution. In the UK everyone argued that the lifting of licensing hours would lead to huge increases in drunken behavior - it didnt!

I agree but surely if one drug is allowed then all should be?

"Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal, so if a waiter is asked to recommend a particular brand of beer he would be breaking the law if he responds"

I have never been to a French restaurant or in fact any reputable fine dining establishment in Bangkok without relying on the knowledge of wines drawn from a Sommelier when I am at a loss for an eloquent marriage of food and wine. Their ability to match fine wine with a superb meal is ‘strategically on a par with that of the chef de cuisine's ability to bring a certain magic to the table through the food itself.

​For one NOT to have a sommelier at a fine dining establishment should be illegal!

Lets hope the Junta rethink this specific ban.

Well this sounds like a conciderable exeption , i mean whats there to promote you want wine allready .

Could you translate your post into English please?

I like the Beer Girls, they look nice. What I want is the Government to regulate the Boom Boom Drum Noise that is harmful to your ears at all the Go Go's. Thailand is almost as noisey as India or Morroco, what the hell is it with the Drums. I do not need them to get into the mood.

I am also more concerned with the Damn Smoking in No Smoking areas !!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what about Thai beer sponsoring UK football, Chang is Everton anywhere else?

Shirt logo will probably be "Blurred" out like they do to people smoking.Not an easy job for the TV boys when someone is flying down the pitch at 100 km

I'd say it would be a bit difficult to do on a live Broadcast

This will only hurt thai businesses , the drunk people will end up drunk anyway .

Imagine Pattaya Walking street , with these kind of rules implemented. There will be no more customers.

Not only. It will hurt all those farang gogo bars.

As I said before. For all those people that hailed Suthep and Prayuth in the past get used to it.

For me in Isaan nothing changes. I still get my shots of a couple of beers a day and don't really care what Bangkok says.

cheesy.gif

About Walking Street? This is the Thai government with the army installed and they give a damn what customers on Walking Street things. clap2.gif

What so special about Chiang Mai? I thought Thailands alcohol laws applied to the whole country, not just a small piece.

Seems Chiang Mai has an over zealous "leader" at the moment who is a bit out of sync with the rest of the country. In Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok and other places, they are only too happy if you buy beer.......and pester the hell out of you until you do!

I suspect this particular crackdown is intended to impress the top leadership and will fade more quickly than many others, which means it'll be gone like greased lightening.

• Like 1

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

What a rubbish. cheesy.gif

Not rubbish, old fella. Neeranam speaks true. Ask how many wives in Thailand get beaten by drunk husbands each year. Yes, alcohol abuse is a key trigger for domestic violence. Ask how many motorcyclists are hacked down by drunk car drivers each year? Or how many motorcyclists try to drive home drunk and end up causing accidents? Yes, the use of alcohol is to blame for a huge number of road deaths every year. Did you know that one of the Buddhist precepts forbids alcohol? This move is not unexpected and indeed is simply applying laws that already exist (as far as I know).

It's typical for the new rulers to enact a law and make thousands of business illegal overnight. No community involvement, no discussions. I wouldn't be surprised if prostitutes are up next, which are also technically illegal.