Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

What is REALLY absurd about these "crackdowns" is that they adversely affect the livelihoods of those who work in these businesses. With an economy teetering on the edge of depression, military men with no grounding in economics should NOT be tinkering with the business sector. It's the old tendency to "take action" just for the hell of it, so it will appear that action is being taken. A bit like President Gerald Ford's ridiculous "WIN" buttons, which stood for Whip Inflation Now". The net effect was to INCREASE inflation by printing up millions of useless buttons. When Thai people have enough jobs for anyone who wants one, that's when the economy is at its best.

Perhaps, just perhaps... they are setting the stage for the next coup.

P.S.

It keeps the gov't in the hands of the 'family'... that is, the military.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a drinker or drug user and I think their use is detrimental to society. That said I don't think this violent use of government force to suppress these thing in an effective manner. or if it does the result is really that desirable.

This reminds me of prohibition in the USA 100 years ago. Result was a lot of power and money transferred to underground gangs and violent thugs...

• Like 1

I'm not a drinker or drug user and I think their use is detrimental to society. That said I don't think this violent use of government force to suppress these thing in an effective manner. or if it does the result is really that desirable.

This reminds me of prohibition in the USA 100 years ago. Result was a lot of power and money transferred to underground gangs and violent thugs...

in a while any place with a central heating system will be very suspicious :D

We look at this from Farang prospective. I for one believe that the impact on Thais is much greater. I live in an area with barely any foreigners and there are plenty establishments advertising alcohol.

This is changing people's lives and impacting livelihood of many. I still think better than a scatter gun would be a targeted campaign promoting responsible drinking habits.

They are all up in arms about the health impacts of drinking alcohol. But what about bad food, causing obesity, or the effects of MSG?

Does everyone has the right to ruin his health?, me thinks yes.

When Thaksin was first in power as PM, he had a right-hand man named Purachai. Together, they got all high and holy and decided to get rid of smut in Thailand. They didn't even attempt to deal with the more entrenched areas like Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. Instead, they went after the little targets in small towns. To some extent it worked, and a lot of young women didn't have ways of making money to support their abandoned kids (there are no laws in Thailand re; deadbeat dads, but that's another topic). After strutting around to make Thailand more moralistic, Purachai made a beeline to reside in New Zealand, and we know what happened to Thaksin.

1 PM yesterday, no shortage of Thai folks drinking towers of labeled beer served up by matching hostesses in a local CM mall.

Thought so nothing changed up here also

Think its safe to say if it doesnt come from mr general PM its neglectible info

There was an article in the Bangkok Post recently, Sunday?. Business not quite same as usual here, bars closed at midnight. I understand Thai venues still open late, but who knows from one day to the next. There were ID checks for the ladies, passport checks for farangs, but that seems to have slacked. Up in Nong Khai all the Lao ladies have gone back to Lao due to crackdown #whatever. Bar closing time there not quite as affected as here, still 0200 +/- but not much in the way of customers which is true in Udon. Let us hope this "crackdown" never gets put into effect.

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post from the new acting police chief that he wants all prostitution completely gone in Pattaya.

I think he is referring to street walkers.

The article seems to focus on cleaning up the beach chair/vendor issues and the disproportionate number of ladyboy prostitutes working on the streets rather than a bar environment.

No, I think he is referring to illegal Russian (and ex-USSR) prostitutes.

Thai prostitutes should be OK, as they don't need a work permit.

I've heard from a reliable source in the Bangkok restaurant/bar business, that all this hoopla over alcohol promotion is being caused by a group of prohibitionists in Chaing Mai. Yes, a group of prohibitionists who are against alcohol. Go figure.

Since the release of this article over two weeks ago, I've been out on Sukhumvit and Silom. NOTHING has changed. There are beer girls. There are Happy Hours. My favorite beer is still poured into a glass with its brand on it. The manager still comes over and asks if we'd like to order multiple beers before special prices end. Beer Chang towers still sprout from tables. We still talk about beer. We still encourage our friends to visit bars with 2-for-1 specials. And on a personal note: my wife has decorated our bathroom with 299 baht red wine bottles stuffed with flowers.

This is all smoke. IMHO

• Like 2

Well I mentioned in a earlier post that a big disco/pub entertainment place in Lamphun was going to close late September or so...It closed last week

and the story is its the police who closed it...There was probably up to 100 hundred people working there catering mainly for the many factories around the area..

No Falang apart from a couple...me when I am there..It was a good night too..Hardly anyone speaking english but there all very friendly.. Another friend who has a resturant/bar there and who used to get maybe to 1 pm has to close on the dot now..All the police doing.There around every night enforcing...Going back to the disco I am sure that it was actually owned by the police but maybe I'm wrong...That said the dancers and singers who I have been talking too have all been told its reopening in November sometime..watch this space !!! TiT

Can someone please point me to a link that shows this is in effect in Bangkok?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't think you'll find it. This is all BS.

I posted the same notion above re BKK.... no visible changes in marketing and promotion of alcohol.

The closing times for bars/nightclubs are always bouncing up and down like a yo-yo, depending on police and political considerations and location.

But all the supposed prohibitions about advertising, happy hours, promotions, etc etc are nowhere to be found around BKK, at least, thus far.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't noticed anything in Chiang Mai apart from the beer girls missing at Big C. Bars still have happy hour signs, signs in the street still there. many weeks into the crackdown

Someone told me yesterday the beer girls are back in uniform again.

On Stickmans website there are still beer promo's (ads) happening in Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We look at this from Farang prospective. I for one believe that the impact on Thais is much greater. I live in an area with barely any foreigners and there are plenty establishments advertising alcohol.

This is changing people's lives and impacting livelihood of many. I still think better than a scatter gun would be a targeted campaign promoting responsible drinking habits.

They are all up in arms about the health impacts of drinking alcohol. But what about bad food, causing obesity, or the effects of MSG?

Does everyone has the right to ruin his health?, me thinks yes.

I think there should be a balanced perspective given to this issue. First of all, at the end of the day, the government should do what is in the best interest of Thais, but at the same time consider the impact it will also have not only on Thais in the business of serving alcohol, one way or another, but also the tourism related businesses that contribute a significant percentage to the country's GDP, which according to many sources tourism accounts for around 10% or 1/10 of GDP in Thailand and this will likely increase further in the future.

Thailand still has a long, long way to go in terms of promoting safety and harm reduction, but in some areas it has actually become a leader in the region and amongst developing countries. Most notably when it comes to tobacco control. Not only has smoking been banned in all public places and it appears to be enforced, and/or, much like in the west, there are very few individuals that fall foul of the law as it seen as socially unacceptable and embarrassing to be seen smoking in an area where it has been banned when you're the only one doing it, likely leading to uncomfortable stares and a possible altercation, but also in terms of laws enacted to discourage smoking: packages with both visual and written warnings and cigarette packets can't be openly displayed, i.e. only behind a closed shutter. This is very similar to countries like Australia, which is said to have the strictest anti-smoking laws in the world, where in addition to the same packaging and display laws as Thailand there is also plain packaging and smoking has now been banned even outdoors in such places as beaches and some universities (except in designated smoking areas, if they exist). Also, the Thai authorities have threatened major fines and even jail time for retailers and individuals caught selling smokes to underage persons.

With alcohol, there are some groups trying to promote the same approach. The reasons why I think this proposed law may be a bit heavy-handed and why alcohol and smoking should not be treated the same way are: smoking is dangerous both to self and others and an unacceptable habit that needs to be strictly controlled - there is no safe amount of smoking that can be considered good for health, with it's negative effects well known. On the contrary, drinking alcoholic beverages in moderation is said to have a positive effect on health and is also a good social lubricator - alcohol can bring people together and unless you're living in a Muslim country where the consumption of alcohol violates cultural and religious norms, prohibition on alcohol has this atmosphere of heavy-handedness, turning what would otherwise be considered to something that people turn to when they're having fun, in good company into something that the government sees as evil. This is not right and the economic consequences for Thailand, not to mention the backward nature of this proposal would turn the tide against the country and could cause a big impact on the economy.

A more balanced approach would see Thailand educating people about how to respect alcohol, to use it only in moderation and in particular, to crack down heavily on drunk drivers. After 10pm on many roads in the greater Bangkok metropolitan region, there are now police checkpoints that randomly breath test drivers for drink driving. It is however unclear exactly how strict they are with punishing drivers caught over the limit - is it still the old 200 Baht (100 might not be enough as drink driving is considered to be much more serious than speeding and other illegal driving acts) or will drivers actually be prosecuted - fined say 10,000 Baht for the first offence, have their vehicles confiscated, face jail time?

Obviously if this is not the case, then you will continue to have this absurd situation where certain groups like in this case the anti-alcohol or prohibition group who wants to try to ban alcohol sales or strictly limit the consumption of alcohol as an excuse to try to "fix" society, trying to rid it of "social evils", rather than attacking the problem at it's core, which is trying to prevent those that shouldn't be driving, due to excess alcohol consumption from getting behind the wheel and retaining the responsibility of responsible alcohol habits in the hands of the individual.

So, rather than trying to ban alcohol for religious, cultural or other personal purposes, it should be a case of changing the attitude that "nothing is going to happen" or "you won't be caught" if you drink and drive, towards a culture of "if I get behind the wheel either I'll greatly impact my life or those of others - or I'm going to jail - I better not risk it". Basically a culture of risk avoidance - but I think that kind of cultural attitude adjustment will be very hard to get used to in a country with amongst the world's highest road toll.

As for preventing obesity, promoting healthier eating habits, sure this is one more thing that the government needs to look at. But let's allow them to take baby steps here - one thing at a time.