Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayuth famous words : "This is Thai Style democracy" .

Welcome to paradise

The generals is the greatest thing in Thailand since sliced bread, then as soon as it affects alcohol, it all changes. just get the unlicensed drivers and underage motor cyclists off the road now, and maybe, just maybe the general will be in favour again.

burp.gifAbout time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Praise the lord burp.gif speaking of him, was not his first miracle turning water into wine, now there was a man you could have followed!

Of course a spiritual teacher wouldn't turn water into wine. It's a translation error. The Greek word means wine fermented or not fermented.

So it could have been wine, what would they have had at a wedding do you think? and he did hang around with prostitutes, would have fitted right in here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Hey, news flash, I think we all know the deleterious effects of alcohol. Hey, news flash #2, you might want to make yourselves aware of this fact before you interfere with the freedoms of human beings and waste more time and money, nothing is ever going to change because people enjoy alcohol and they’re going to use it and there is nothing you can do about it, NOTHING! So get a life and start trying to affect an issue that actually has a chance of succeeding.

America tried prohibition and it was a disaster. If you need a drink you can get one anywhere in the world including "dry countries". Price may go up but at the end of the day do you really "need" one. Think a few social beers is fantastic myself but whatever they do if you want one I am sure you will be able to get one.

While I agree with some of these new rules there are many more ramifications than just promoting alcohol, the first being loss of employment. From beer girls, event planners and sponsorships to huge losses in advertising revenue, print and electronic. This all happening at a time when unemployment is on the rise. I'm not sure how well thought out this was but more knee jerk reactions from the junta it seems. Some people will be losing a lot of sleep over this

are you communist?

While I agree with some of these new rules there are many more ramifications than just promoting alcohol, the first being loss of employment. From beer girls, event planners and sponsorships to huge losses in advertising revenue, print and electronic. This all happening at a time when unemployment is on the rise. I'm not sure how well thought out this was but more knee jerk reactions from the junta it seems. Some people will be losing a lot of sleep over this

This is serious question- so some sensible answers. Why is that these draconian rules / implementation of existing laws seem to start off in Chiang Mai ? Is it a hot bed of debauchery, drunkenness , all night bars ?

It seemed quite civilised when I visited- maybe has gone downhill ( or uphill depending on your tastes ? )

if you want to fight problems with alcohol, educate the people and kids,

it will never happend that bars. karaoke and night clubs will close at midnight,

before somebody who is wearing a uniform will get a bullet in his head for sure,

Some years back, when Australian alcohol related road deaths/accidents kept increasing, the government brought it random breath testing and police 'booze buses'.

Motorists could be expected to be tested anywhere, anytime.

Within a few months, road deaths started dropping, and it's stayed that way.

No need for draconian banning of pub staff, advertising, etc. The fines and convictions were enough.

The limit has been .05 for years, and a bit of organising for a 'duty driver' amongst friends solves a lot of problems.

Of course, having a realistic tax on alcohol helps too, but it seems the hospital bills and loss to the community here far exceeds this.

• Like 1

Am I to guess that the thousands of lighted Scotch signs hanging outside of all the big Thai nightclubs and restaurants will have to come down. It will be a major job removing them as some are huge. Big business for the sign people to remove and replace so many signs.

Jeesh....

I certainly will not miss seeing all those San Miguel Tank Tops on overweight farangs. Perhaps the socks and sandal crew will opt out for Hawaiian Aloha Shirts instead.

The worst part of all this is that perhaps those Tequila girls with bottles of tequila in their twin holsters, and shot glasses worn like ammunition might now become only a thing of legend.

Cambodia getting closer

Jesus Christ, I moved to Thailand five years ago to escape one of the worst nanny states in the world, Norway. I smoke cigarettes and I love to drink and party in my offtime in the weekends. I spend all my money, which is a descent Norwegian salary, in Thailand.

I just spent two weeks of my summer holiday in Phnom Penh Cambodia. Had a great time. I work online so it´s easy for me to move.

Getting closer and closer to saying bye bye Thailand.

• Like 1

Some years back, when Australian alcohol related road deaths/accidents kept increasing, the government brought it random breath testing and police 'booze buses'.

Motorists could be expected to be tested anywhere, anytime.

Within a few months, road deaths started dropping, and it's stayed that way.

No need for draconian banning of pub staff, advertising, etc. The fines and convictions were enough.

The limit has been .05 for years, and a bit of organising for a 'duty driver' amongst friends solves a lot of problems.

Of course, having a realistic tax on alcohol helps too, but it seems the hospital bills and loss to the community here far exceeds this.

Totally accept the the benefit for reducing road accidents but why the hefty tax? Hi So (still not sure what that really means) can carry on, farmer can't?

Cambodia getting closer

Jesus Christ, I moved to Thailand five years ago to escape one of the worst nanny states in the world, Norway. I smoke cigarettes and I love to drink and party in my offtime in the weekends. I spend all my money, which is a descent Norwegian salary, in Thailand.

I just spent two weeks of my summer holiday in Phnom Penh Cambodia. Had a great time. I work online so it´s easy for me to move.

Getting closer and closer to saying bye bye Thailand.

You'd live in Cambodia just to get cheap booze?

Have you ever thought of AA?

• Like 1

"I am only here to help you, the media and relevant businesses to understand the law," said Second Lieutenant Taweesak Jintajiranan. "This law was put into effect due to the rapidly growing costs of alcohol to this nation. Alcohol-related accidents have increased significantly in recent years. While the government makes 70 billion baht income per year from alcohol tax, the cost to the government is upwards of 150 billion baht."

"And I am here to tell you that this law was put into effect, because we, the BiB, do not have the motivation to properly enforce any existing laws. So, therefore we lay the blame of these accidents and incidents squarely on the shoulders of the industry, can't really blame ourselves now, can we? On the other hand, if you wish to consume alcohol as before, just visit the establishments owned by your friendly neighborhood cop and all should be right as rain."

On a side note, couldn't they find a First Lieutenant to give this speech?

• Like 1

check the laws in north america. these are close. I do think that tat will get bar hours until 1.

next step blow abovve .08 24 hours in jail.

\have an accident automatic 30 days

They are NOT close. The US is much more tolerant. Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

If I fully understand the "spirit" of this new crackdown. One can't go anymore to church ("this is my body, this is my blood") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist

tongue.png

burp.gifAbout time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

Praise the lord burp.gif speaking of him, was not his first miracle turning water into wine, now there was a man you could have followed!

Tax free wine. Nice to have him around for all those Thai holidays, when you cannot buy alcohol. He sure had his priorities straight. Crikey, out of alcohol..!!! Wait, I think I can do this...

A dry Thailand only affect falang. Thai people are Buddhist and drinking is against believes anyway. This is a Buddhist country.

hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahhaha

Either a stupid post and poster or a complete wind up, but either way a hilariously stupid comment.

I just spent two weeks of my summer holiday in Phnom Penh Cambodia.

Had a great time. I work online so it´s easy for me to move.

Far to be easy if you need a reliable Internet... Thailand Internet is far better.

A dry Thailand only affect falang.

Nobody talked about "a dry Thailand" ??

Edited by Pattaya46