Immigration Announcement About Visa Exempt Extensions & Other Changes On the 29th

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can tourists on a 30 day visa exempt stamp extend for 30 days in Thailand, or is it still a border run? Any ideas?

That is what number 1 says and it has been announced before.

You can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days just apply at immigration and pay 1900 baht.

Ubonjoe

Haven't heard any mention of it, but would you mind confirming if there are any "G7" requirements for extending a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days .

This was made a big deal of last year . At land borders they went back to 30 from 15 for G7 only, my Ozzy friends got really p8ssed.

hypothetical example, Lets say a "non G7" national enters over land, gets 15 days, then can he extend by 30 days at Immigration office?

I assume these rules are from the 29th onwards and anyone on their last extension of a ED visa ( say the last 3

months of their 15 months) will be allowed to leave the country on a trip and return with a re entry permit

meaning they technically would have been in Thailand more than a year but will have to go out of country at the end of their extension to get a new visa ???

Can tourists on a 30 day visa exempt stamp extend for 30 days in Thailand, or is it still a border run? Any ideas?

That is what number 1 says and it has been announced before.

You can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days just apply at immigration and pay 1900 baht.

Ubonjoe

Haven't heard any mention of it, but would you mind confirming if there are any "G7" requirements for extending a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days .

This was made a big deal of last year . At land borders they went back to 30 from 15 for G7 only, my Ozzy friends got really p8ssed.

hypothetical example, Lets say a "non G7" national enters over land, gets 15 days, then can he extend by 30 days at Immigration office?

Any visa exempt entry can be extended. it does not matter if it is for 14, 15, 30 or 90 days.

The text of the announcement seems to be in contradiction with the published police order 139/2557.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

"Each permisison" seems to indicate that multiple 30 day extensions are possible. It does not say only one time, although that would be logical. But could be translation issue.

Tourisim Visa is the only one that deals with 30 Day periods. It is awarded a "One Time" Extension of 30 Days. If you cannot get Extension you have 7 Days to Exit Kingdom.

No more than 1 extension on any Visa issue for time periods of less then One Year.

The I year Visa's will require you to continue reporting, to Immigration, every 90 Days.

Pretty Straight Forward... No misunderstanding here

• Like 1

I have a Mulitple Entry ED Visa (1 year)

Previously I was able to re-enter Thailand the day before the visa expired and be granted an additional 90 days - effectively getting 15 months from the visa.

Am I correct in my understanding that I can no longer do this?

Not correct, you can. There are no changes for visa, only for extension of stay. With the correct paper work from school you can extend for 90 days at immigration for Bt 1,900, up to a total of 1 year of continuous stay in country.

It says for ed visa shall not exceed past 1 year from date of entry.

My date of entry was 2 years ago and I just did my first extension for 90 days yesterday for my 3rd year of study....

Am I grand fathered in for my 3rd year that I have already started or in 90 days will they tell me no can not????

The text of the announcement seems to be in contradiction with the published police order 139/2557.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

"Each permisison" seems to indicate that multiple 30 day extensions are possible. It does not say only one time, although that would be logical. But could be translation issue.

"Each" could refer to an individual or a collection of individuals.

So if 100 people apply for the extension on a given day, each will be granted for no more than 30 days. Or it could mean that if you use a visa exempt entry every year or every six months, you could get an extension of no more than 30 days.

I don't it would be correct to assume that serial visa exempt entries followed by extensions will now be possible.

As usual, presumably the original Thai language would be the definitive interpretation and the officer at the airport or border or immigration office would decide what is a misuse of the facility.

It clearly states the the 30 day extension on a tourist visa can be done only one time. In addition, at the time of application for the extension you must produce an airplane departure ticket within the next 30 days. A much better deal than the previous extension of only seven days.

I am a stranger

I'm a foreigner

FARANG

Maybe you should know that 'farang' especially when written all uppercase does not have a very benign connotation, and foreigners should avoid it when referring to themselves.

It clearly states the the 30 day extension on a tourist visa can be done only one time. In addition, at the time of application for the extension you must produce an airplane departure ticket within the next 30 days. A much better deal than the previous extension of only seven days.

There is to be seen if the outgoing ticket will be actually requested, as it not listed as as necessary in the regulations. My guess is that it will be not.

It clearly states where? The official regulation or the announcement?

Staying 60 days without a visa. that's rather good

But for the person wanting to holiday near 60 days the bit about being only granted an extra 7 days because of "incomplete qualifications" isn't reassuring when they could just get a tourist visa without the hassle of immigration (will they, won't they) and the extra money.

Struggling to think who'd want it, some1 will enlighten me.

• Like 1

Possibly one for Ubon Joe.

I am still currently extending the same Ed visa (my first) that I got in March 2012 every 3 months. I understand fully the fact that the new rules state that we can now only extend an Ed visa for a total of 12 months before leaving the country to get a new Ed visa, thanks for clarifying that.

I received my most recent extension without a hitch last Friday at Hua Hin immigration, meaning that my visa is now extended until late November. I'm not concerned about 'testing' as my Thai is at a level where I converse in Thai with the immigration officials each time I do an extension anyway.

My question is, as the new rules come into force on 29th August, will I be able to extend my existing visa for a further 12 months from that date (29th August), OR ( as my visa was issued well over two years ago), will I have to leave the country to apply for a new Ed visa in November?

The last time I left the country was in April this year for a week but that was on a re-entry permit so I don't think that will have any bearing on my question.

Many thanks for any advice.

Edited by somchai jones

Staying 60 days without a visa. that's rather good

But for the person wanting to holiday near 60 days the bit about being only granted an extra 7 days because of "incomplete qualifications" isn't reassuring when they could just get a tourist visa without the hassle of immigration (will they, won't they) and the extra money.

Struggling to think who'd want it, some1 will enlighten me.

No documentation is needed for the 30 days extension, so it's unlikely that anyone is denied.

The clause can be useful to people that changes plans, or rotational workers on 60/60 for which id difficult or impossible to obtain a tourist visa in advance.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there have been any changes to expats married to Thai wives who have a 1-year Type O visa? They have been requesting the 400,000 Baht in the banking account thing and the basic documents since I've been here (10 years) and I just want to be prepared.