BANGKOK 17 July 2019 09:47

Does anyone know what the average salary is for a Thai worker?

My girlfriend who works for a major company makes only 20,000 baht a month. She's on salary so they ask her to work many hours. I think her pay is too low, and it doesn't equal the amount of hours that she's expected to work. She does not have a degree.

I've read that most Thais make 7-8,000 baht a month. Is this still true? The article was a few years old, so I don't know if much has changed. Even with a college degree I've read that the pay is normally low.

The number sounds about right for your GF, average salaries in Thailand like the rest of the world is regional, and dependent of where you are in the country THB 20k/m could be "high" or "low", there is on no one average salary in Thailand,

THB 7-8k/m may be average in say Isaan, but low for BKK or say Rayong area (which are the two higher paying areas)

the only real point of reference you have is referencing against the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day and lets say a person works 6 days a week, (24 day month) then around THB 7200/m would be considered minumim, therefore based on this your GF is way above this thereshold.

• Like 2

The number sounds about right for your GF, average salaries in Thailand like the rest of the world is regional, and dependent of where you are in the country THB 20k/m could be "high" or "low", there is on no one average salary in Thailand,

THB 7-8k/m may be average in say Isaan, but low for BKK or say Rayong area (which are the two higher paying areas)

the only real point of reference you have is referencing against the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day and lets say a person works 6 days a week, (24 day month) then around THB 7200/m would be considered minumim, therefore based on this your GF is way above this thereshold.

Thanks for the help.

We're currently in Bangkok. I guess THB 20k is about average then.

It's no wonder that a lot of Thai girls choose to go into the sex industry. They can make a lot more money.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that 20k is too high and the following link seems to agree, I was going to suggest 15k but in fact it's 13.2k:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Important to remember that there's a huge percentage of the population on 300 a day. And whilst there's a lot of wealth in Bangkok, the full time population is under 10% of the entire country. Numbers are distorted as a result.

There is a lot of wealth in Bangkok, but it's controlled by the few. The majority of Thais who ride motor taxis and take the buses to work don't have a lot of money.

Which brings me to the Thai and Thai/Chinese wealth distribution. It seems that the Thai/Chinese control most of the wealth in Bangkok. Is this true? My girlfriend tells me that most of her clients are Thai/Chinese. There is nothing wrong with it. I'm just stating the truth.

• Like 1

20,000 no degree is more than a fair wage, i know women with degrees working below their education standard for around the low to mid 20's

ExTGF worked for an American bank as an accountant with a BD but studing for her masters which she did get before she resigned her salary when i met her was 38,000 and 43,000 when she resigned 18 months later.

Previous TGF also an accountant was assistant manager of a large warehouse 10 years service and was on 25,000.

Seems if you work in your field with at least a BD around 30,000 is about the norm, no degree admin/office 14,000 to 20,000, unskilled anything from cleaner to waitress 7,000, hairdressers and i know a couple around the 10,000 to 12,000 if on salary.

• Like 2

There is a lot of wealth in Bangkok, but it's controlled by the few. The majority of Thais who ride motor taxis and take the buses to work don't have a lot of money.

so how is this different from say New York, the City of London, Mumbai etc etc, the vast majority of wealth is controlled by a few, Thailand is no different in that regard to any other country, even the "communist" countries, whose fundamental doctrine is "all men are created equal" but of course we add to this pharse, "some are created more equal than others"

There is nothing unique in the Thai context, doesnt matter where you go in the world, there will always be the "haves" and "have nots"... this is not just a Thai trait, this is a human trait

• Like 2

I'm guessing that 20k is too high and the following link seems to agree, I was going to suggest 15k but in fact it's 13.2k:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Important to remember that there's a huge percentage of the population on 300 a day. And whilst there's a lot of wealth in Bangkok, the full time population is under 10% of the entire country. Numbers are distorted as a result.

Which brings me to the Thai and Thai/Chinese wealth distribution. It seems that the Thai/Chinese control most of the wealth in Bangkok. Is this true? My girlfriend tells me that most of her clients are Thai/Chinese. There is nothing wrong with it. I'm just stating the truth.

"Thailand
Main article: Thai Chinese

Thailand is home to the largest and most integrated Overseas Chinese community. As already said above, the present Thai monarch, Chakri Dynasty, was founded by King Rama I, who himself was partly Chinese. His predecessor, King Taksin of Thonburi Dynasty, was the son of Chinese immigrants from Guangdong Province and was born with a Chinese name. The majority of Prime Ministers in Thailand are of Chinese descent. Most ethnic Chinese in Thailand live in cities such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai and Nakhon Sawan. A large majority of them belong to the Teochew dialect group of Han Chinese. A small number of Chinese people, mainly belonging to the Yunnanese dialect group, also live in the northern part of Thailand which is in close proximity to their homeland in Yunnan province of China. Charoen Pokphand Group, founded by Thai-Chinese Chearavanont family, is currently the single largest foreign investors in China.[91]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Chinese#Thailand

About 14K for factory fodder. I know this as my nephew spent 4 years in college learning to be chef and when he finished (Qualified )got a job in a factory . He's not the brightest of boys

• Like 1

About 14K for factory fodder. I know this as my nephew spent 4 years in college learning to be chef and when he finished (Qualified )got a job in a factory . He's not the brightest of boys

He got a job in a factory making peanuts after spending 4 years in college? Don't qualified chefs do well? Maybe he has low self esteem issues? Lack of confidence?

He got a job in a factory making peanuts after spending 4 years in college? Don't qualified chefs do well? Maybe he has low self esteem issues? Lack of confidence?

again same the world over, for every Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey, Wolfgang Puck running about, there will be 100's of qualfied chefs barely making a living, hardly a low self esteem issue...

14k in certain parts of the country would be considered doing ok, lest not forget in a lot of these "factories" provide accomdation or accomdation allowances and even meals are given as well, medical insurance etc, so 14k cash in hand may

• Like 1

15k to 20k for hotel fodder in 5/6 star hotels, mostly unskilled workers but with experience, some with degrees - am unsure if service charge is assumed to be part of the salary figures above, it can be over 100% of salary, a base of 8/9k plus same again for SC, 20k is easily dooable. Mrs CM works in the same so the numbers are real.

• Like 1

He's a good lad actually , grafter. I think he thought he'd waltz into a job in Bangkok for 30k a month. Colloedge is just a start of a chefs career , they make real money when they hit their 30s. He is actually waiting to start a job in a hotel in Bang Pa in, don't know what they offered.

Here girls who start in the office start at 10.000 +/- 1000

A new one, who has a lot experience in a leading position will change to us for 15.000. Which is less than she got in the last job. But in the last job she had to work every weekend....never seeing her family.

20.000 is pretty good.

• Like 1