Average Thai salary?

Sure but if you live " Thai Style " with sun! It is very cheap! But the moment you live a " farang style " in Thailand eating farang food and alcohol ( which is very expensive! ) then its going to get ridiculously expensive! Keep everything "Thai Style" and 9,000 baht a month wage is perfect!

so your suggesting all the Thai's who run cars, pay for their kids schooling, medical insurance, mobile phone bills, water/ electricity, internet, putting savings's away are all ,living on 9k/m and no farang food or booze in sight, and must be living "farang syle"....blink.png

9k/m just about gets you a hand to mouth existance at best.

• Like 2

Where i live in Naklua ( Pattaya ) most of the Thais that i talk to earn around 9,000 baht a month. Which is quite good when you consider the real living costs of living in Thailand. I can live on less than a Thai i find Thailand ridiculously cheap with the average rents in my area from 2000 to 4000 baht a month.(with balcony WIFI & Sat TV ) I don't drink or smoke and love to walk everywhere.( or by bicycle ) with the average thai meal from the food market from only 20 /30 baht and a 1 hour train journey at only 10 baht. 5L of drinking water is 5 baht.I even had my " Kito " high performance Flip Flops " resoled" the other day for 120 baht ( in the Uk it would cost 1000 baht ! ) so i think a 9,000 baht month wage is a reasonable wage for Thailand.

God Bless you all ! ( Irish accent ... ) giggle.gif

Former staff here: they place they rented was 1200 Baht per month. Both earned money. Together 20.000 Baht.

The other thing to consider of course is you " RENT " my rent is only 2000 baht a month with bathroom WIFI & SAT TV ( i don't watch TV! ) if you keep your rent nice and low then you can cover your " basic costs " easy on 6,000 baht a month. ( oh and i am just off to the beach right now ( " LIVE " ) and it will cost me about 1 baht for my water! Can you afford to go to the beach viewers...?

Mr Jaidee thumbsup.gif

Rent 2k, wow that´s cheap!? May I ask where you stay? Not BKK when you´re off to the beach. I have to admit that I have no idea of the costs outside of BKK.

I´ve once seen rooms for rent in BKK for 1800, but these were real sh**holes, dirty and full of crackheads.

Always thought that a reasonable room was around 4k.

Sure but if you live " Thai Style " with sun! It is very cheap! But the moment you live a " farang style " in Thailand eating farang food and alcohol ( which is very expensive! ) then its going to get ridiculously expensive! Keep everything "Thai Style" and 9,000 baht a month wage is perfect!

so your suggesting all the Thai's who run cars, pay for their kids schooling, medical insurance, mobile phone bills, water/ electricity, internet, putting savings's away are all ,living on 9k/m and no farang food or booze in sight, and must be living "farang syle"....blink.png

the schools are free

medical insurance: 30 Baht scam

mobile phone: that is a big one

water costs almost nothing

electric is also cheap

internet comes with the mobile phone

Why do you think 20k a month is low and no wonder girls opt to work in sex industry? What a bunch of crap. My gf was on less than that doing office gig and she managed to pay off her house in 5 years. Thailand has a very low cost of living and it all comes down to how the individual manages the money. 20k is a lot more than some European countries where the cost of living is much higher.

• Like 1

the schools are free

electric is also cheap

School is not free uniforms and a tuition fee still need to be paid. 30 baht card is crap. Decent care requires more money. Water and electric is still expensive. Factor in children and you have serious troubles.

the schools are free

electric is also cheap

what happened to a comment on running a car ?... or lets even "dumb" it down...."a motocy"

what about about putting savings away each month ?

and schools are not "free" most certainly the ones which provide a decent education, and even the "free" schools have costs associated, ie Uniforms, books, after school activities

what about braces for the kids teeth ?

Whats the cheapest internet package with a mobile ? - THB 500/600/m ?

If we use the nationally stated minimum wage of THB 300/day as a starting point, 9k which based on a 24 day month, gives your THB 7200/m then 9k a month isnt much above a hand to mouth existance.

the numbers dont lie....

There is a lot of wealth in Bangkok, but it's controlled by the few. The majority of Thais who ride motor taxis and take the buses to work don't have a lot of money.

so how is this different from say New York, the City of London, Mumbai etc etc, the vast majority of wealth is controlled by a few, Thailand is no different in that regard to any other country, even the "communist" countries, whose fundamental doctrine is "all men are created equal" but of course we add to this pharse, "some are created more equal than others"

There is nothing unique in the Thai context, doesnt matter where you go in the world, there will always be the "haves" and "have nots"... this is not just a Thai trait, this is a human trait

I do not believe the poster was referring to the 1%. I think he was referring to the middle class. I know a lot of people in the US who earn between $50k and $100k per year. This might be the Thai equivalent of about 40,000 baht to 80,000 baht per month. This is very rare here, except for upper management positions, or highly skilled workers.

The number sounds about right for your GF, average salaries in Thailand like the rest of the world is regional, and dependent of where you are in the country THB 20k/m could be "high" or "low", there is on no one average salary in Thailand,

THB 7-8k/m may be average in say Isaan, but low for BKK or say Rayong area (which are the two higher paying areas)

the only real point of reference you have is referencing against the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day and lets say a person works 6 days a week, (24 day month) then around THB 7200/m would be considered minumim, therefore based on this your GF is way above this thereshold.

Thanks for the help.

We're currently in Bangkok. I guess THB 20k is about average then.

It's no wonder that a lot of Thai girls choose to go into the sex industry. They can make a lot more money.

20k is a very good wage and normally Thais who have worked in good companies for many years look forward to higher positions and can even make much higher. I know some who make in the 40k to 60k range. 15 + years with the same company and doing a great job....

As far as ladies selling their bodies, unlike the normal working girl who can be promoted as she gets older and make more money and have medical, paid holiday and respect. Bar girl's pay and health drops as they get older and the job becomes worse and all without the benefits and respect. No good reason to sell your body and self respect for a short time gain but long time loss.

• Like 1

Why do you think 20k a month is low and no wonder girls opt to work in sex industry? What a bunch of crap. My gf was on less than that doing office gig and she managed to pay off her house in 5 years. Thailand has a very low cost of living and it all comes down to how the individual manages the money. 20k is a lot more than some European countries where the cost of living is much higher.

I didn't mean to offend you, but let's look at the facts. A Thai girl can make a lot of money in the sex scene if she's smart, young, and very good looking. If she makes bht 2,000 a night x6 days that equals bht 18,000. Take the bht 18,000x 4 weeks and that's bht 72,000 a month! Give or take say she makes bht 65,000 You don't think a young girl isn't going to be tempted by those numbers? That's a lot of money for someone without skills and a degree. Most blow it and that's a pity. They get older and it's game over.

Most Thai women are very close to their parents. If they need to bring money home, bht 15,000 isn't going to cut it. My girlfriend is sending money to her mom every week. I hate the sex industry, but I do realize that these women do it because they have to do it. They're not buying new cars, flashy jewelry, and big houses. They are taking care of their family.

benj005 - I thought this thread was about salaries for employees, not a discussion on your insights into the economic viabilities of prostitution in Thailand.

A topic I know next to nothing about, and have no interest in reading about either.

As a side note, 2 x 6 = 12, not 18.

• Like 1

20k is a very good wage and normally Thais who have worked in good companies for many years look forward to higher positions and can even make much higher. I know some who make in the 40k to 60k range. 15 + years with the same company and doing a great job....

Its all relative, I know Thai's who make 200/300k/m with about 10 years experience, I know of "helpers" who make 30k/m with no real experience

20k is not a "very good" wage its in all likelyhood a "fair" wage for what they are doing

benj005 - I thought this thread was about salaries for employees, not a discussion on your insights into the economic viabilities of prostitution in Thailand.

A topic I know next to nothing about, and have no interest in reading about either.

agreed, but just to add one point

if she's smart, young, and very good looking.... and a "career girl"......she will be making quite a bit more than benj005 calculations....just the farang monkey's she could string along and getting money every month will be more than THB 65,000/m and thats without turning to many tricks or having any Thai "sugar daddies"

Although I dont know them directly, a buddy of mine professes to know a few "top shelf" girls and he reckons they must be pulling 200-250k/m in "sponsorships" and various other activites...

agreed, but just to add one point

if she's smart, young, and very good looking.... and a "career girl"......she will be making quite a bit more than benj005 calculations....just the farang monkey's she could string along and getting money every month will be more than THB 65,000/m and thats without turning to many tricks or having any Thai "sugar daddies"

Although I dont know them directly, a buddy of mine professes to know a few "top shelf" girls and he reckons they must be pulling 200-250k/m in "sponsorships" and various other activites...

Forgot about the sponserships.

Sorry about the math. I typed a bit too fast I guess.

Sorry that I derailed my own thread about what bar girls make. I thought it was relevant, because we are talking about Thai salaries.

I do feel bad for them though.

Edited by benj005

I didn't mean to offend you, but let's look at the facts. A Thai girl can make a lot of money in the sex scene if she's smart, young, and very good looking. If she makes bht 2,000 a night x6 days that equals bht 18,000. Take the bht 18,000x 4 weeks and that's bht 72,000 a month! Give or take say she makes bht 65,000 You don't think a young girl isn't going to be tempted by those numbers? That's a lot of money for someone without skills and a degree. Most blow it and that's a pity. They get older and it's game over.

No offense. But not many girls percentage wise are pulling in 2,ooo a shift........................lol. Some due to bad looks, bad personality, etc are GAME OVER be4 game even started...........................lol.

People go on about how Thai food is cheap. Yes, it's cheap but look at what you're getting. Pork, rice, chicken, papaya. I could do the same in America. I could put together a can of tuna/white rice for a dollar a day.

But if you made that in America in your restaurant and then sold it to a customer, how much more would you charge for labor, overhead and profit? Thai street food is cheap because the labor that makes it is cheap. Most vendors barely make 5 baht over cost on each customer.

Where i live in Naklua ( Pattaya ) most of the Thais that i talk to earn around 9,000 baht a month. Which is quite good when you consider the real living costs of living in Thailand. I can live on less than a Thai i find Thailand ridiculously cheap with the average rents in my area from 2000 to 4000 baht a month.(with balcony WIFI & Sat TV ) I don't drink or smoke and love to walk everywhere.( or by bicycle ) with the average thai meal from the food market from only 20 /30 baht and a 1 hour train journey at only 10 baht. 5L of drinking water is 5 baht.I even had my " Kito " high performance Flip Flops " resoled" the other day for 120 baht ( in the Uk it would cost 1000 baht ! ) so i think a 9,000 baht month wage is a reasonable wage for Thailand.

When you say 9000 is good you are overlooking the fact that many young Thai people are expected to send money back to their family in rural Thailand every month.

If they pay 2000 to 3000 for a room send 1- 2000 back to their mother and father, that only leaves them with 4000 to pay utility charges, pay mobile phone charges,do laundry and buy food and clothing, shoes etc

I don't consider it very much at all

Edited by Asiantravel

When you say 9000 is good you are overlooking the fact that many young Thai people are expected to send money back to their family in rural Thailand every month.

If they pay 2000 to 3000 for a room send 1- 2000 back to their mother and father, that only leaves them with 4000 to pay utility charges, pay mobile phone charges, and buy food.

I don't consider it very much at all

My girlfriend does that. She sends money home to her mom every month.

"Sure but if you live " Thai Style " with sun! It is very cheap! But the moment you live a " farang style " in Thailand eating farang food and alcohol ( which is very expensive! ) then its going to get ridiculously expensive! Keep everything "Thai Style" and 9,000 baht a month wage is perfect!"

Canary is 100% a newb here. I doubt that he has lived in the country for more than 3 months. I don't think that he knows what Thai Style is. I think that he means poor.

In my neighborhood where houses are an average of 1.5-3 million baht, I doubt that anyone is earning only 9,000 baht a month an claiming a good life. Most of my neighbors earn around what the OP mentioned some more some less. Since both were working though they have a good middle class lifestyle. 2 salaries at 20k a month is pretty good.

When people claim how much they spend a month, they are usually full of crap.

Canary: here is a dare. Take 9kx12 (108,000 baht) put it in a bank account. Do not access any money at all, do not borrow, use a credit card or take gifts. See if you can actually live a year on that. I seriously doubt it. When making a budget, you cannot just count basic costs.

I also seriously doubt that you are finding many 20 baht a meal places anymore. In CM where I live most places that were 25 baht a meal are now 35 my 35 baht a meal shops are now 50.

OP, I wonder how your GF would react to your comments. Perhaps, you are thinking about pimping out your GF or are you just showing your disrespect for all women in this country.

I also doubt that you math is even close. "Working gGrls" are not living the good life saving millions of baht a year.

"Sure but if you live " Thai Style " with sun! It is very cheap! But the moment you live a " farang style " in Thailand eating farang food and alcohol ( which is very expensive! ) then its going to get ridiculously expensive! Keep everything "Thai Style" and 9,000 baht a month wage is perfect!"

Canary is 100% a newb here. I doubt that he has lived in the country for more than 3 months. I don't think that he knows what Thai Style is. I think that he means poor.

In my neighborhood where houses are an average of 1.5-3 million baht, I doubt that anyone is earning only 9,000 baht a month an claiming a good life. Most of my neighbors earn around what the OP mentioned some more some less. Since both were working though they have a good middle class lifestyle. 2 salaries at 20k a month is pretty good.

When people claim how much they spend a month, they are usually full of crap.

Canary: here is a dare. Take 9kx12 (108,000 baht) put it in a bank account. Do not access any money at all, do not borrow, use a credit card or take gifts. See if you can actually live a year on that. I seriously doubt it. When making a budget, you cannot just count basic costs.

I also seriously doubt that you are finding many 20 baht a meal places anymore. In CM where I live most places that were 25 baht a meal are now 35 my 35 baht a meal shops are now 50.

OP, I wonder how your GF would react to your comments. Perhaps, you are thinking about pimping out your GF or are you just showing your disrespect for all women in this country.

I also doubt that you math is even close. "Working Girls" are not living the good life saving millions of baht a year.

When I mentioned bar girls I was only stating what they made. I meant no disrespect to them at all. In fact, I despise that scene. I hate everything about the sex industry, and I wish it didn't exist. I was just merely stating what they make. That's it. Talking about the industry is not the same as disrespecting Thai women. I respect people of all colors and race. I've stated a few times that I don't mean any disrespect. I'm sorry that I brought it up.

Finally, I never said that they were living the good life. It's an awful job. I wouldn't want to see anyone selling their body so they can make money. I understand why they do it. I don't agree with their choice. They should find another line of work.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The other thing to consider of course is you " RENT " my rent is only 2000 baht a month with bathroom WIFI & SAT TV ( i don't watch TV! ) if you keep your rent nice and low then you can cover your " basic costs " easy on 6,000 baht a month. ( oh and i am just off to the beach right now ( " LIVE " ) and it will cost me about 1 baht for my water! Can you afford to go to the beach viewers...?

Mr Jaidee alt=thumbsup.gif>

Rent 2k, wow that´s cheap!? May I ask where you stay? Not BKK when you´re off to the beach. I have to admit that I have no idea of the costs outside of BKK.

I´ve once seen rooms for rent in BKK for 1800, but these were real sh**holes, dirty and full of crackheads.

Always thought that a reasonable room was around 4k.

Hello!

Actually i live in Pattaya (Naklua) in a Thai area.Its quite a nice room,small clean furnished,bathroom,with fast wifi & Sat TV inc! It's 20 minutes stroll to the beach. and the thing i love is it is very quiet! Not bad for 2000 baht a month! In Bangkok its a different story.I know Bangkok very well but i think if i was to live there i would rent a lovely place in Ayutthaya for around 3,000 to 4,000 per month and catch the train into Bangkok every day for 15 baht! Then you have the best of both worlds!( also living in Ayutthaya you would only need a " bicycle " to get around as it's perfect for Bicycles!

F.J thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

There is a lot of wealth in Bangkok, but it's controlled by the few. The majority of Thais who ride motor taxis and take the buses to work don't have a lot of money.

so how is this different from say New York, the City of London, Mumbai etc etc, the vast majority of wealth is controlled by a few, Thailand is no different in that regard to any other country, even the "communist" countries, whose fundamental doctrine is "all men are created equal" but of course we add to this pharse, "some are created more equal than others"

There is nothing unique in the Thai context, doesnt matter where you go in the world, there will always be the "haves" and "have nots"... this is not just a Thai trait, this is a human trait

That is true, but I think the wealth gap is much bigger in Thailand.

People go on about how Thai food is cheap. Yes, it's cheap but look at what you're getting. Pork, rice, chicken, papaya. I could do the same in America. I could put together a can of tuna/white rice for a dollar a day. Who wants to eat that on a constant basis? I love Thai food. I think it's much more than rice and chicken, but the ingredients that the street vendors use are naturally cheap to begin with.

Just my opinion. smile.png

Thai food is not cheap for the Average Thai, rice has gone up and most other food stuffs.

Ask your gf if there is a year end Bonus.

Where MissFarmGirl used to work, International Company, Degree, part of the Management Team, her Year end Bonus was often a months Salary, sometimes 2 months ... paid during the Chinese New Year.

Like many Thais, she worked 6 days a week ... though Saturday was a casual style day.

Also ask about other benefits. A married couple that I know with HS diplomas work in a large factory in Bangkok. With overtime their combined income is usually over 40k per month. Yearly bonuses are also a little more than one month's salary.

They bought a nice townhouse built by the factory's Japanese owners on a 30 year no interest mortgage which did not require a down-payment. Their employer does the financing in-house. The company also provides health insurance including dental coverage. Free transportation to and from work is provided. Rice in the cantine is free.

Hello!

Actually i live in Pattaya (Naklua) in a Thai area.Its quite a nice room,small clean furnished,bathroom,with fast wifi & Sat TV inc! It's 20 minutes stroll to the beach. and the thing i love is it is very quiet! Not bad for 2000 baht a month! In Bangkok its a different story.I know Bangkok very well but i think if i was to live there i would rent a lovely place in Ayutthaya for around 3,000 to 4,000 per month and catch the train into Bangkok every day for 15 baht! Then you have the best of both worlds!( also living in Ayutthaya you would only need a " bicycle " to get around as it's perfect for Bicycles!

F.J thumbsup.gif

Sussed it ... laugh.png

mormon-missionaries.jpg

Photo credit mormon-missionaries

• Like 2