Average Thai salary?

hi all,

sorry to interrupt but I have a question similar to what OP has asked (I thought it'd be better to ask here; thread seems active biggrin.png so..).

I've been offered a software developer job position (have 4.3 years of work ex.) by a company; gross sal they've offered is 50k bahts/mo. and job position is based out of central bangkok.

so my queries are:

- would that be enough for a single guy given Bangkok is very pricey to live in? I'd be getting married in about an year or so..my wife would be earning as well but then again "bangkok" == mother of all pricest cities in TH ? ohmy.png

- can anyone suggest me some condos(would want wifi, nice locality) nearby victory monument/pathumwan/watthana? err...I am looking forward to live next to a BTS station as I'd commuting for atleast an year to a BTS station next to my office (hate city traffic jams) smile.png, a mobile package/operator?

- am a strict vegetarian so is veggie food more expensive in/around BKK?

will highly appreciate if you guys can give me a walk through biggrin.png as I'd moving in about a month's time

Edited by beerBear

50,000 baht a month wage? I could live nearly all year on that! lol Bangkok is a fab place you should be able to live easily on 15,000 a month and save 35,000 baht!

hey thanks for replying

lol but taxes, social security tax have to be deducted as well.. ? :|

what I heard/read across www is 35k a month should be allright to survive in BKK biggrin.png but when I searched for some condos..they're fairly priced in the higher 10k-20k bracket :| (those with basic air con, wifi, hot water stuff)

Edited by beerBear

Simple question. Varying levels to answer it.

- Depends on what you mean by "average". In Thailand as you know those at the bottom earn a few thousand baht and are large in number. Those at the top earn millions and are few in number so would skew any "mean".

- Having a degree is important when starting. This puts the minimum at 15k a month for most people in BKK for example

- Without a degree 300 may be the minimum wage - so say about 7,500 on a 25 day month. But some people will illegally get less.

- Bottom line for someone with no degree, 20k a month is reasonable/good going, particularly if originating from up country. For an unskilled worker/labourer it would be good going. For an office worker with a degree in Bangkok 20k would be below average.

- For someone in a professional capacity, (meaning accountant, lawyer etc) it would be below average. For someone in the "other professional capacity" in foreigner orientated places it would also be low.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

- Depends on what you mean by "average". In Thailand as you know those at the bottom earn a few thousand baht and are large in number. Those at the top earn millions and are few in number so would skew any "mean".

- Having a degree is important when starting. This puts the minimum at 15k a month for most people in BKK for example

- Without a degree 300 may be the minimum wage - so say about 7,500 on a 25 day month. But some people will illegally get less.

- Bottom line for someone with no degree, 20k a month is reasonable/good going, particularly if originating from up country. For an unskilled worker/labourer it would be good going. For an office worker with a degree in Bangkok 20k would be below average.

- For someone in a professional capacity, (meaning accountant, lawyer etc) it would be below average. For someone in the "other professional capacity" in foreigner orientated places it would also be low.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

thanks for the note^ smile.png

- yep I do have a BS degree but I din't get as to how that would have an advantage here except for the min. wage increment.

can you please give me a breakup say if I have 40k a month (after tax, company deductions) then how much should I expect to pay for the accomodation(I'd want to live in a furnished condo with a BTS nearby and certainly close to pathumwan area), transportation (BTS; possibility to rent a bike?), food, mobile, a beer or two every weekend biggrin.png in BKK and finally save for the future?

Edited by beerBear

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

- yep I do have a BS degree but I din't get as to how that would have an advantage here except for the min. wage increment.

can you please give me a breakup say if I have 40k a month (after tax, company deductions) then how much should I expect to pay for the accomodation(I'd want to live in a furnished condo with a BTS nearby and certainly close to pathumwan area), transportation (BTS; possibility to rent a bike?), food, mobile, a beer or two every weekend biggrin.png in BKK and finally save for the future?

If you actually have a BS degree why on earth would you want to move here for a paperboys salary.

No offence but what country are you posting from?

Forget it on the salary you talk about.

I must admit life is Not about money (unless you are Thai....) I would rather live on 6,000 baht a month than being "stuck in an office all day" on a " telephone number salary" I prefer being outside on the beach in flip flops ( my cool " Kitos "..)

From what I can gather in Bangkok, most people think they are getting somewhere if they can pull in 30k per month.

My wife reckons sub 10k for unskilled workers, 15-30k for graduates in junior roles, 40-60k for corporate middle-management. After that it seems salaries can rise quite considerably. She knows quite a few Thai people, many educated in Thailand, earning 200k to 1m a month working in senior roles in Thai companies.

I guess successful entrepreneurs and those at the coal face of corruption can earn shocking amounts. I've been told by a guy who owns a few nightclubs, bars, restaurants and hotels in the nice parts of Bangkok that his group pays 5m a month to the police and he reckons most of that goes directly to a couple of 'big guys'. There are hundreds of similar establishments in those areas. Makes you think...

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

If you actually have a BS degree why on earth would you want to move here for a paperboys salary.

am from India and personally I'd want to move in a country which has some relly quiet places (talking about rural areas, mountains, forests etc); as far as India is concerned I've already travelled and lived my life so far from the remotest parts of eastern India to as far as northern parts of India and currently based in the NCR (Near Capital Region) of India.

hmm..well am not looking forward to have huge $(more than a hundred thousand?) bank balance for now but yes given my current company in India this one in BKK is a leap (well idk if not in terms of salary but def. it is in terms of future prospects..as the company is an MNC having major operations in singapore so besides the international exposure and cheap electronics, awesome! beaches in TH biggrin.png am looking to retire in BKK idk..maybe and am just 25 right now..yea that might sound awkward but meh)

all in all I'd def want to retire in some mountains in Northern TH instead of settling in dust back there in India; but ofc I would aim for higher cities as well outside BKK wink.png

my current plan is to work outside of India, gain considerable amt of work ex and then go back to float a small software services based firm or maybe float one in the country am in (if my work permit/visa allows)

Edited by beerBear

I must admit life is Not about money (unless you are Thai....) I would rather live on 6,000 baht a month than being "stuck in an office all day" on a " telephone number salary" I prefer being outside on the beach in flip flops ( my cool " Kitos "..)

Thats alright for you to say, how much do you have stashed away for a rainy day in Farangistan?

Nothing more than a spoilt brat rich kid with daddys credit card to help you out should it all go tits up.

Your normal Thai doesnt have such luxury.

On your 6k per month living expenses, how much is for kids education, how much for your pension/retirement plan, how much for your mortgage, how much for medical insurance, you are full of kee kwai.

Joop joop na krap.

just browsing through those station picsthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

am from India and personally I'd want to move in a country which has some relly quiet places (talking about rural areas, mountains, forests etc); as far as India is concerned I've already travelled and lived my life so far from the remotest parts of eastern India to as far as northern parts of India and currently based in the NCR (Near Capital Region) of India.

hmm..well am not looking forward to have huge $(more than a hundred thousand?) bank balance for now but yes given my current company in India this one in BKK is a leap (well idk if not in terms of salary but def. it is in terms of future prospects..as the company is an MNC having major operations in singapore so besides the international exposure and cheap electronics, awesome! beaches in TH biggrin.png am looking to retire in BKK idk..maybe and am just 25 right now..yea that might sound awkward but meh)

all in all I'd def want to retire in some mountains in Northern TH instead of settling in dust back there in India; but ofc I would aim for higher cities as well outside BKK wink.png

my current plan is to work outside of India, gain considerabe amt of work ex and then go back to float a small software services based firm or maybe float one in the country am in (if my work permit/visa allows)

Looking to retire in Bkk? LOL, no chance.

Thailand, really quiet places, sorry wrong country unless you want to live in the monastrey with the barking dogs.

Working for a MNC, get yourself to Singapore and earn some real money, stash it away and maybe in 25/30 years time you can think about retiring here.

You aint one of these digital nomads we keep hearing about are you?

Thats alright for you to say, how much do you have stashed away for a rainy day in Farangistan?

Nothing more than a spoilt brat rich kid with daddys credit card to help you out should it all go tits up.

Your normal Thai doesnt have such luxury.

On your 6k per month living expenses, how much is for kids education, how much for your pension/retirement plan, how much for your mortgage, how much for medical insurance, you are full of kee kwai.

Joop joop na krap.

"A rich kid living in a 2000 baht a month room? lol I haven't spoken to my Mother or Father in over 25 years!

F.J x

Looking to retire in Bkk? LOL, no chance.

Thailand, really quiet places, sorry wrong country unless you want to live in the monastrey with the barking dogs.

Working for a MNC, get yourself to Singapore and earn some real money, stash it away and maybe in 25/30 years time you can think about retiring here.

You aint one of these digital nomads we keep hearing about are you?

lol

ohk..but what about having a beach retirement life? biggrin.png

and pattaya def looks like a place to stay around :]

ah..well let's come back to my queries..

can I really get a fully furnished condo in BKK with a max budget of 15K a month including utility bills (elec, water, decent broadband internet?) next to a BTS not fr from pathumwan area? smile.png

Edited by beerBear

lol

ohk..but what about having a beach retirement life? biggrin.png

and pattaya def looks like a place to stay around :]

ah..well let's come back to my queries..

can I really get a fully furnished condo in BKK with a max budget of 15K a month including utility bills (elec, water, decent broadband internet?) next to a BTS not fr from pathumwan area? smile.png

Ask your question in the Bangkok Forum ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/38-bangkok-forum/

Some of our viewers seem to be " living in Cuckoo Cuckoo land " ....

Just to remind you all that most of Thailand is a 3rd world country and naturally is very cheap to live! I do get out and about quite often on the super cool " rot fai " ( train ) and here are the general price of rents in some parts of Thailand.

Pattaya : 1 small room with bathroom / wifi / Sat tv / etc = 2000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom small condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 4000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 5000 baht a month rent ( some with pool )

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 6000 baht a month rent ( with pool )

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

Buriram / Udonthani 2 bedroom " new " houses with garden 5000 baht a month

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee xwub.png

funny enough I have been quite intrigued by canarysun's statements and did a little research on line and will admit it would not be all inclusive, as most of the the cheaper accomdations would not be advertised in English or on line

but the cheapest I can find in the Jomitem/Pattaya area is THB 4500/m for a 26 M2 semi-furnished room, Water/electric on top of that, no TV no Wifi

so one would really question what exactly does one get for THB 2k/m in that locale ?

Just to remind you all that most of Thailand is a 3rd world country and naturally is very cheap to live! I do get out and about quite often on the super cool " rot fai " ( train ) and here are the general price of rents in some parts of Thailand.

Pattaya : 1 small room with bathroom / wifi / Sat tv / etc = 2000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom small condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 4000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 5000 baht a month rent ( some with pool )

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 6000 baht a month rent ( with pool )

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee xwub.png

Talking of 'Cloud Cuckoo Land'.... I live in Chiang Mai, in a studio condo. Rent here in this 12 storey building averages 9000 baht per month plus water and electric, mine costing 300 and 3000 baht, respectively. My friends living 14km out in rural Hang Dong, pay the same rent for a 2 bedroom house, big bungalow actually, with carport and small gardens. Cheap charlies will always ferret out the bargains but don't tell me that is average. I'm not rich but I do want some comfort in my life. There are others paying 20 or 30 thousand baht just for rent.

This thread has opened my eyes to the reason so many guys left Philippines. Rents there are much higher than here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee x alt=wub.png>

funny enough I have been quite intrigued by canarysun's statements and did a little research on line and will admit it would not be all inclusive, as most of the the cheaper accomdations would not be advertised in English or on line

but the cheapest I can find in the Jomitem/Pattaya area is THB 4500/m for a 26 M2 semi-furnished room, Water/electric on top of that, no TV no Wifi

so one would really question what exactly does one get for THB 2k/m in that locale ?

Hello!

Those prices are 100 % accurate! But if you are looking to rent something firstly don't look " online " they will be with agencies etc etc.You need to get out and about on foot and start chatting with Thais ( its best to only deal with Thais ) i was looking at a lovely condominium yesterday while out for a stroll in Naklua,nice rooms,gym and had a lovely pool but it was 6,000 baht a month.In my soi where i live rooms start from 2000 baht a month ( but you have to know people and be quick!) they have many now for 4,000 & 5,000 nice clean rooms with flat screen TV's and balconies and wifi. Most people living in Pattaya shouldn't need to pay more than 5,000 baht a month - The place is flooded with apartments and condos! But you " have to get out there and start talking "

I helped a Thai girl find a nice room ( very small ) but clean with wifi in Bangkok a few weeks ago for 3,500 baht a month!If you want cheap accommodation then head out into the country villages ( " Bicycle territory " viewers! ) I have found rooms from 1000 baht a month! you won't find them online! lol

When a lot of local Thais who earn a normal low wage of around 7,000 baht a month of course there are cheap rooms! and some are very nice! ( and so are the ladies who rent them...... )

Just because some of " our viewers " live in " high priced rents well that's up to them! But start getting into the real world.This is Thailand and is still as cheap as it has always been! It's booze,women,farang food,motorbikes,cars,that make peoples lives expensive! Use the trains or buy a bicycle or even " walk " everywhere like me viewers you never know you may even enjoy it!

God bless you all viewers! ( irish accent )

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee x alt=wub.png>

Hello!

Those prices are 100 % accurate! But if you are looking to rent something firstly don't look " online " they will be with agencies etc etc.You need to get out and about on foot and start chatting with Thais ( its best to only deal with Thais ) i was looking at a lovely condominium yesterday while out for a stroll in Naklua,nice rooms,gym and had a lovely pool but it was 6,000 baht a month.In my soi where i live rooms start from 2000 baht a month ( but you have to know people and be quick!) they have many now for 4,000 & 5,000 nice clean rooms with flat screen TV's and balconies and wifi. Most people living in Pattaya shouldn't need to pay more than 5,000 baht a month - The place is flooded with apartments and condos! But you " have to get out there and start talking "

I helped a Thai girl find a nice room ( very small ) but clean with wifi in Bangkok a few weeks ago for 3,500 baht a month!If you want cheap accommodation then head out into the country villages ( " Bicycle territory " viewers! ) I have found rooms from 1000 baht a month! you won't find them online! lol

When a lot of local Thais who earn a normal low wage of around 7,000 baht a month of course there are cheap rooms! and some are very nice! ( and so are the ladies who rent them...... )

Just because some of " our viewers " live in " high priced rents well that's up to them! But start getting into the real world.This is Thailand and is still as cheap as it has always been! It's booze,women,farang food,motorbikes,cars,that make peoples lives expensive! Use the trains or buy a bicycle or even " walk " everywhere like me viewers you never know you may even enjoy it!

God bless you all viewers! ( irish accent )

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

Can you find me a ground floor unit over on the darkside for Bt.1000 per month. I dont care for wifi/AC/TV etc as I just want it to use as a storage room.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

I think the disparity between Thai salaries and Farang incomes has changed a huge amount over the past 20 years and Thailand is truly not "as cheap as it's ever been". However, I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining. I see the massive improvements that benefit Thai and Farang alike and I find it much easier to communicate with Thai people on an equal footing today because their better standard of living gives them a sense of pride and confidence that was rare 22 years ago when I first came here.

I live with my girlfriend in Bangkok.

We are currently in a studio apartment. I pay baht 6,000 That's a little over $180 USD. That's cheap! In New Jersey I would pay $700 easily.

That's very reasonable and realistic for Bangkok. excellent! F.Jclap2.gif

Canary forgot to add computer or net room fees to your budget or do you get your computer for free. Clothes, I guess you go naked or dress like a bum because there is nothing listed for clothes. I would love to know where you are eating 20 baht meals. I have lived her for more than 15 years and haven't seen 20 baht meals outside of school/university canteens in about 5 years. I also wonder how you have never been sick, nor ever left Thailand for even a short holiday. Your limited budget seems to leave out a lot. Visas, health care, etc. You never splurge on snacks, going out to the movies, treat your friends or buy gifts for people. All of the hidden costs of life are not included on your list. If you actually live as poor as you say, I pity you. I am quite frugal and I probably spend only about 10,000 baht a month on myself, that isn't how much I actually spend a month. In my 15 years in Thailand I have bought 5 computers, 6 phones, 2 motorcycles, 3 tv's, 2 washing machines, 6 speakers, 20 sets of headphones, 4 keyboards, 8 mouse/mousepads, etc. Things break and need to be replaced so though I don't doubt that you live like a hermit and nickle and dime everything to death, you don't include those one time big ticket items, like your plane ticket to get here in the first place, visa runs, extensions, bribes, etc. Your budget doesn't add up.

Also why would you want to live in a foreign country as a poor person? Though there are many poor people in Thailand, those that have education and a middle class background want more so do most people. So instead of bragging how cheap you are and the shiteholes that you live and recommend to others why not go out and actually live your life and contribute something to the world instead of being some beach bum loser.

Talking of 'Cloud Cuckoo Land'.... I live in Chiang Mai, in a studio condo. Rent here in this 12 storey building averages 9000 baht per month plus water and electric, mine costing 300 and 3000 baht, respectively. My friends living 14km out in rural Hang Dong, pay the same rent for a 2 bedroom house, big bungalow actually, with carport and small gardens. Cheap charlies will always ferret out the bargains but don't tell me that is average. I'm not rich but I do want some comfort in my life. There are others paying 20 or 30 thousand baht just for rent.

This thread has opened my eyes to the reason so many guys left Philippines. Rents there are much higher than here.

9,000 per mont? You got ripped off, mate. I have never paid more than 3k a month in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. And that 3k got me some good accomodations. You can rent an entire house for 3k.

Also, rents in Phils are not too high for locals. How do you think Phils live there on such meager salaries? The rent is 2000 PHP per month upwards. They are smaller but rent is just as cheap or cheaper than Thailand. Key is you need to think local and live like a local. That means tiny fan rooms.

Edited by zierf1
  • Like 1

You should always have money for the unexpected. When I arrived in Bangkok I needed root canal. I was under so much pain. I made a visit to the hospital at 3am, and I was given antibiotics. Finally, I had the root canal. The procedure cost me $450 USD. If I didn't have the money I would have been SOL.

When most people setup their plans to visit or live in a foreign country few ever set aside money for an emergency. It could be as simple as falling down a flight of steps and breaking your ankle to really set you back. If you don't have the funds you could be in trouble.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 2

9,000 per mont? You got ripped off, mate. I have never paid more than 3k a month in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. And that 3k got me some good accomodations. You can rent an entire house for 3k.

3K a month, daylight robbery. Why when I lived in Chiang Mai I rented an apartment for 40 baht a day and that included water, electric, UBC, maid service, aircon. and transport too and from the markets plus on Sundays I got a full English fry up served in bed. laugh.png

You should always have money for the unexpected. When I arrived in Bangkok I needed root canal. I was under so much pain. I made a visit to the hospital at 3am, and I was given antibiotics. Finally, I had the root canal. The procedure cost me $450 USD. If I didn't have the money I would have been SOL.

When most people setup their plans to visit or live in a foreign country few ever set aside money for an emergency. It could be as simple as falling down a flight of steps and breaking your ankle to really set you back. If you don't have the funds you could be in trouble.

OH ... Ben, a 1000 apologies in advance for the selective editing ...

You should always have money for the unexpected.

When I arrived in Bangkok I needed root ...

(later at) the hospital at 3am, and I was given antibiotics.

The procedure cost me $450 USD.

If you don't ... you could be in trouble.

3K a month, daylight robbery. Why when I lived in Chiang Mai I rented an apartment for 40 baht a day and that included water, electric, UBC, maid service, aircon. and transport too and from the markets plus on Sundays I got a full English fry up served in bed. laugh.png

40 baht very reasonable, and if you're very good looking the maid will scrub your back after the brekky in bed. Lol

Also, rents in Phils are not too high for locals. How do you think Phils live there on such meager salaries? The rent is 2000 PHP per month upwards. They are smaller but rent is just as cheap or cheaper than Thailand. Key is you need to think local and live like a local. That means tiny fan rooms.

Hahaha yes you can always find a cheaper place. Cheap Charlies will always do that but I don't think your way mate. I enjoy my life and I don't take my wife and kids on the train or song thaew to save up for lunch. We eat what we enjoy and pay our way with a smile. I give my wife more than your entire monthly budget just for her personal stuff like manicure/pedicure and yoga, gym, swimming, hair care. Maybe she'll buy something for our daughter.

It just occurs to me that you are obviously single. You get cheap girls too? As with all of life, you get what you pay for.

So, contrary to your assertion that I have been robbed, in fact I have been afforded comfortable accommodation for fair recompense. Good luck with your bargain hunting. ....