Average Thai salary?

9,000 per mont? You got ripped off, mate. I have never paid more than 3k a month in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. And that 3k got me some good accomodations. You can rent an entire house for 3k.

3K a month, daylight robbery. Why when I lived in Chiang Mai I rented an apartment for 40 baht a day and that included water, electric, UBC, maid service, aircon. and transport too and from the markets plus on Sundays I got a full English fry up served in bed. laugh.png

expect your PM in box to be flooded with enquires as to the name of the place from the resident balloon chasers...laugh.png

You have been warned

1,000 baht a month for rent in CM is what is called a slum. There is no way you are renting a house with a yard for 2,000 baht a month. The average price for rooms are around 3,000 baht a month for low end dives. Good places will run around 5,000 baht a month. Rent for 1 story 2 bedroom houses unfurnished is around 5,000 baht a month and about 8,000 baht a month furnished. The prices go up from there.

Trust me if you are renting a place in CM for 1,000 baht a month, you are living with cockroaches, bad smells and plumbing that doesn't work. Also unfurnished means that you need to spend about 30-100,000 baht to be able to actually live there.

To address the OP specifically 20,000 baht a month salary combined with a partner's salary is a good life. Any couple earning 35-50,000 baht a month is living a comfortable middle class existence. Those that are earning less than 10,000 baht a month are living a poor, humble life. Those who haven't had any better don't know but getting people from the west to be comfortable like that isn't fare.

I am almost ready to dare canary to make a blog for 1 year detailing every day what he does and show the receipt for everything he buys for the entire year. If he spends less than 100,000 baht, I will give him 1 million, if he doesn't he needs to shoot himself in the head.

• Like 1

Some of our viewers seem to be " living in Cuckoo Cuckoo land " ....

Just to remind you all that most of Thailand is a 3rd world country and naturally is very cheap to live! I do get out and about quite often on the super cool " rot fai " ( train ) and here are the general price of rents in some parts of Thailand.

Pattaya : 1 small room with bathroom / wifi / Sat tv / etc = 2000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom small condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 4000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 5000 baht a month rent ( some with pool )

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 6000 baht a month rent ( with pool )

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

Buriram / Udonthani 2 bedroom " new " houses with garden 5000 baht a month

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee xwub.png

Talking of 'Cloud Cuckoo Land'.... I live in Chiang Mai, in a studio condo. Rent here in this 12 storey building averages 9000 baht per month plus water and electric, mine costing 300 and 3000 baht, respectively. My friends living 14km out in rural Hang Dong, pay the same rent for a 2 bedroom house, big bungalow actually, with carport and small gardens. Cheap charlies will always ferret out the bargains but don't tell me that is average. I'm not rich but I do want some comfort in my life. There are others paying 20 or 30 thousand baht just for rent.

This thread has opened my eyes to the reason so many guys left Philippines. Rents there are much higher than here.

Basic accommodation in MaeJo starts at about 1,200 a month.

2 bed house 8km from CM can be had for 4k/m

Plenty of condos right in the center of CM around 3,500bht/month

Plenty of slum condos for 2k/m

Where do you think all the Thais earning 7k5/m live?

Most foreigners don't live in average price places!

1,000 baht a month for rent in CM is what is called a slum. There is no way you are renting a house with a yard for 2,000 baht a month. The average price for rooms are around 3,000 baht a month for low end dives. Good places will run around 5,000 baht a month. Rent for 1 story 2 bedroom houses unfurnished is around 5,000 baht a month and about 8,000 baht a month furnished. The prices go up from there.

Trust me if you are renting a place in CM for 1,000 baht a month, you are living with cockroaches, bad smells and plumbing that doesn't work. Also unfurnished means that you need to spend about 30-100,000 baht to be able to actually live there.

I don't know if you've noticed, but many Thais don't use furniture.

Sleeping mat on the floor and a zip bag for their clothes.

Thai spending to make an unfurnished apt livable, 500bht for a second hand fan.

You should always have money for the unexpected. When I arrived in Bangkok I needed root canal. I was under so much pain. I made a visit to the hospital at 3am, and I was given antibiotics. Finally, I had the root canal. The procedure cost me $450 USD. If I didn't have the money I would have been SOL.

When most people setup their plans to visit or live in a foreign country few ever set aside money for an emergency. It could be as simple as falling down a flight of steps and breaking your ankle to really set you back. If you don't have the funds you could be in trouble.

Nobody NEEDs a root canal.

It's cosmetic rather than practical.

Poor people just have the tooth removed, usually less than 500bht.

• Like 1

You should always have money for the unexpected. When I arrived in Bangkok I needed root canal. I was under so much pain. I made a visit to the hospital at 3am, and I was given antibiotics. Finally, I had the root canal. The procedure cost me $450 USD. If I didn't have the money I would have been SOL.

When most people setup their plans to visit or live in a foreign country few ever set aside money for an emergency. It could be as simple as falling down a flight of steps and breaking your ankle to really set you back. If you don't have the funds you could be in trouble.

Nobody NEEDs a root canal.

It's cosmetic rather than practical.

Poor people just have the tooth removed, usually less than 500bht.

Dentistry has made many advances recently, within the past five years. A root canal, in most cases no longer costs 450USD, although one can certainly pay that much for one. Even implants have dropped dramatically in price.

My local government hospital has a new dental clinic, free to all Thais, they have 9 bays, for a population of 120k. It's absolutely amazing what they can do, often eliminating the need for extractions due to what a filing that takes 5 minutes prevents. Modern technology makes this very inexpensive.

By far the most traumatic and unexpected expense experienced in our TV demographic is heart attack, requiring invasive surgery and a stint or two. One can expect to pay 3-400k for one of these procedures, else die. It's worth thinking about, especially for smokers.

I know two local farangs who've died from heart attacks on the way to hospital. Generally, one has about 40 minutes.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Canary forgot to add computer or net room fees to your budget or do you get your computer for free. Clothes, I guess you go naked or dress like a bum because there is nothing listed for clothes. I would love to know where you are eating 20 baht meals. I have lived her for more than 15 years and haven't seen 20 baht meals outside of school/university canteens in about 5 years. I also wonder how you have never been sick, nor ever left Thailand for even a short holiday. Your limited budget seems to leave out a lot. Visas, health care, etc. You never splurge on snacks, going out to the movies, treat your friends or buy gifts for people. All of the hidden costs of life are not included on your list. If you actually live as poor as you say, I pity you. I am quite frugal and I probably spend only about 10,000 baht a month on myself, that isn't how much I actually spend a month. In my 15 years in Thailand I have bought 5 computers, 6 phones, 2 motorcycles, 3 tv's, 2 washing machines, 6 speakers, 20 sets of headphones, 4 keyboards, 8 mouse/mousepads, etc. Things break and need to be replaced so though I don't doubt that you live like a hermit and nickle and dime everything to death, you don't include those one time big ticket items, like your plane ticket to get here in the first place, visa runs, extensions, bribes, etc. Your budget doesn't add up.

Also why would you want to live in a foreign country as a poor person? Though there are many poor people in Thailand, those that have education and a middle class background want more so do most people. So instead of bragging how cheap you are and the shiteholes that you live and recommend to others why not go out and actually live your life and contribute something to the world instead of being some beach bum loser.

Hello! I am single and I am not poor! I am not materialistic and I don't need motorbikes,8 mice,20 headphones etc etc. I love to walk and use the train.I don't watch TV as I am outside all day in the sun.My room is actually very nice.In fact its " cool " (just like myself...) I am just happy with the simple things in life! Farang Jaidee (joop joop)

Some of our viewers seem to be " living in Cuckoo Cuckoo land " ....

Just to remind you all that most of Thailand is a 3rd world country and naturally is very cheap to live! I do get out and about quite often on the super cool " rot fai " ( train ) and here are the general price of rents in some parts of Thailand.

Pattaya : 1 small room with bathroom / wifi / Sat tv / etc = 2000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom small condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 4000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 5000 baht a month rent ( some with pool )

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 6000 baht a month rent ( with pool )

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

Buriram / Udonthani 2 bedroom " new " houses with garden 5000 baht a month

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee xwub.png

Talking of 'Cloud Cuckoo Land'.... I live in Chiang Mai, in a studio condo. Rent here in this 12 storey building averages 9000 baht per month plus water and electric, mine costing 300 and 3000 baht, respectively. My friends living 14km out in rural Hang Dong, pay the same rent for a 2 bedroom house, big bungalow actually, with carport and small gardens. Cheap charlies will always ferret out the bargains but don't tell me that is average. I'm not rich but I do want some comfort in my life. There are others paying 20 or 30 thousand baht just for rent.

This thread has opened my eyes to the reason so many guys left Philippines. Rents there are much higher than here.

9,000 per mont? You got ripped off, mate. I have never paid more than 3k a month in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. And that 3k got me some good accomodations. You can rent an entire house for 3k.

Also, rents in Phils are not too high for locals. How do you think Phils live there on such meager salaries? The rent is 2000 PHP per month upwards. They are smaller but rent is just as cheap or cheaper than Thailand. Key is you need to think local and live like a local. That means tiny fan rooms.

Hahaha yes you can always find a cheaper place. Cheap Charlies will always do that but I don't think your way mate. I enjoy my life and I don't take my wife and kids on the train or song thaew to save up for lunch. We eat what we enjoy and pay our way with a smile. I give my wife more than your entire monthly budget just for her personal stuff like manicure/pedicure and yoga, gym, swimming, hair care. Maybe she'll buy something for our daughter.

It just occurs to me that you are obviously single. You get cheap girls too? As with all of life, you get what you pay for.

So, contrary to your assertion that I have been robbed, in fact I have been afforded comfortable accommodation for fair recompense. Good luck with your bargain hunting. ....

Yes I am single but no " Cheap Ladies " I meet the ladies that actually like me for who I am.( Free ) F.J x

"

Thai spending to make an unfurnished apt livable, 500bht for a second hand fan."

I guess the word Thai to you means poor. It doesn't to me. I know there are many impoverished people but they are not the average family anymore. How can over 2 million afford university at 30-50,000 baht a year if everyone is so poor that they sit on dirt floors.

I know that you claim to be Thai but I don't believe you at all. You paint Thai people with such a broad brush but don't seem to include yourself.

Thai people vary as much as any other culture.

AOA, if you really are Thai, then you must also be poor, but then explain how you got educated and lived abroad and learned English if you are so poor.

"I meet the ladies that actually like me for who I am.( Free"

Oh you mean that you are a dead beat and mooch off women because you live so cheap you won't pay for their meal or buy them a present for their birthday.

Just because someone likes you doesn't mean that anything is free. Even friendships cost money. Never buy a birthday present for anyone.

"

Thai spending to make an unfurnished apt livable, 500bht for a second hand fan."

I guess the word Thai to you means poor. It doesn't to me. I know there are many impoverished people but they are not the average family anymore. How can over 2 million afford university at 30-50,000 baht a year if everyone is so poor that they sit on dirt floors.

I know that you claim to be Thai but I don't believe you at all. You paint Thai people with such a broad brush but don't seem to include yourself.

AOA, if you really are Thai, then you must also be poor, but then explain how you got educated and lived abroad and learned English if you are so poor.

I am not poor!! ( only you seem to think so) its just I am not materialistic.Some people actually like walking and riding a bicycle! I love the sun and being on the beach.why do I need to spend more on a room if I am outside all day!?

"

I am not poor!! ( only you seem to think so) its just I am not materialistic.Some people actually like walking and riding a bicycle! I love the sun and being on the beach.why do I need to spend more on a room if I am outside all day!?

But you also said you eat mainly street food? I don't think that's particularly healthy on a long-term basis. Full of sugar and MSG. Many Thais suffer from diabetes later on in life because of their poor diet

• Like 1

Well in my area of Naklua ( Pattaya ) it's mainly a Thai Area ( very few farang ) The normal thais are earning from 6,500 to about 9,000 baht a month ( 9,000 for the 7 eleven staff ) which all seem to be happy and enough for them to pay for the rent,food and most have a motorbike.

Farang Jaidee wub.png ( jing jing ) x

The number sounds about right for your GF, average salaries in Thailand like the rest of the world is regional, and dependent of where you are in the country THB 20k/m could be "high" or "low", there is on no one average salary in Thailand,

THB 7-8k/m may be average in say Isaan, but low for BKK or say Rayong area (which are the two higher paying areas)

the only real point of reference you have is referencing against the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day and lets say a person works 6 days a week, (24 day month) then around THB 7200/m would be considered minumim, therefore based on this your GF is way above this thereshold.

Thanks for the help.

We're currently in Bangkok. I guess THB 20k is about average then.

It's no wonder that a lot of Thai girls choose to go into the sex industry. They can make a lot more money.

I know this is off-topic, but I just want to thank you for this non-judgmental and fair comment. I believe sex workers are simply trying to make a decent living, and are no less or more than all other humans on this planet.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The number sounds about right for your GF, average salaries in Thailand like the rest of the world is regional, and dependent of where you are in the country THB 20k/m could be "high" or "low", there is on no one average salary in Thailand,

THB 7-8k/m may be average in say Isaan, but low for BKK or say Rayong area (which are the two higher paying areas)

the only real point of reference you have is referencing against the Thai minimum wage of THB 300/day and lets say a person works 6 days a week, (24 day month) then around THB 7200/m would be considered minumim, therefore based on this your GF is way above this thereshold.

Thanks for the help.

We're currently in Bangkok. I guess THB 20k is about average then.

It's no wonder that a lot of Thai girls choose to go into the sex industry. They can make a lot more money.

I know this is off-topic, but I just want to thank you for this non-judgmental and fair comment. I believe sex workers are simply trying to make a decent living, and are no less or more than all other humans on this planet.

Hello Viewers!

Well really it's not " Off Topic " when a young Thai lady is only earning 9,000 or less working a 10 hour daily shift at a 7 eleven it won't leave her a lot of change to give back to her Parents and Buddha.I know a few Ladies who work in Go Go bars in Pattaya and the good ones can earn around 50,000 baht a month ( obviously for that kind of money they will be " rather busy " .....) and can send a nice amount back to the " Parents and Buddha " .But even earning that kind of money they will still on live on the " absolute minimum " .

Farang Jaidee wub.png

• Like 1

Well in my area of Naklua ( Pattaya ) it's mainly a Thai Area ( very few farang ) The normal thais are earning from 6,500 to about 9,000 baht a month ( 9,000 for the 7 eleven staff ) which all seem to be happy and enough for them to pay for the rent,food and most have a motorbike.

Farang Jaidee wub.png ( jing jing ) x

I was just up your area (went to the fish market) and wow there is some slums there.... I reckon you could get something even cheaper without looking too hard.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Farang Jaidee alt=wub.png> ( jing jing ) x

I was just up your area (went to the fish market) and wow there is some slums there.... I reckon you could get something even cheaper without looking too hard.

LOL Actually i don't live near the " fish market " but i know exactly where you mean and yes they are " dreadful " i live in absolute luxury compared to them! ( in the Uk we would class those accommodations as " Squatters territory " - a kind of " Harry Brown " (a cool movie) set up........x

Thai spending to make an unfurnished apt livable, 500bht for a second hand fan.

ok, but shouldnt the question be, if they didnt have to do this because they had more disposal income, would they still be sleeping on mat with a THB 500 fan with a zip bag for clothes ?

my guess is they wouldnt, so please nots infer its a lifestyle choice, its not.... its because they have No choice, it what they have to do...

ok, but shouldnt the question be, if they didnt have to do this because they had more disposal income, would they still be sleeping on mat with a THB 500 fan with a zip bag for clothes ?

my guess is they wouldnt, so please nots infer its a lifestyle choice, its not.... its because they have No choice, it what they have to do...

I think most of them would.

If they get a higher income, generally they seem to buy a new pickup, and the living conditions remain the same.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I think most of them would.

If they get a higher income, generally they seem to buy a new pickup, and the living conditions remain the same.

No not exactly! The " farang " buys them the pickup ( Thai ladies like a new " black coloured " pickup ) and then the farang drives the lady about like " Driving Miss Daisy " ( its actually very true...)

Thais will always sit on the floor and eat together on the mat.( that will not change ever and i love that and i think it's lovely! ) that has nothing to do with money.I see them all " sitting on the floor " in the railway stations too! It's Thai style it won't change but it's important that when farangs come to live in Thailand that they " Think thai style " ( that way they won't be paying " ridiculous rental prices " along with other things........)

Farang Jaidee wub.png

coming back to OP's question (which also aligns with mine) a gross sal of 50k/mo is it underpaid, overpaid or so-so..? location being Bangkok and for an ex-pat who has a work experience of 4 years as a mobile software developer?

Edited by beerBear

coming back to OP's question (which also aligns with mine) a gross sal of 50k/mo is it underpaid, overpaid or so-so..? location being Bangkok and for an ex-pat who has a work experience of 4 years as a mobile software developer?

Its underpaid (for an ex-pat), I know a young Thai kid who was making 60-70k per month, Next month he is off to Japan to do his PhD.

It's a good salary for a local hire, it's not good if it's an expat package, sourced from your home country.

Its underpaid (for an ex-pat), I know a young Thai kid who was making 60-70k per month, Next month he is off to Japan to do his PhD.

I thought these digital nomads were raking in the sach though RG? Maybe I misunderstood laugh.png

• Like 2

I thought these digital nomads were raking in the sach though RG? Maybe I misunderstood laugh.png

Mr T, as you well know I am old school, too long in Asia, thankfully didnt have to endure Tony the Liar Blairs social engineering and mind control project of the '90s.

To me Digital Nomad= FreeLoader = Couch Surfer.

Gotta love TV, where can I rent a condo with free wifi, gym, swimming pool and all for less than 5k per month?

DN= EBayer, online trader trying to flog Ajarn Nu sak yant t shirts for 10 times the price, poker player, currency trader, import/exporter.

They are usually found camped out in some Starbux place or the bar on soi 8 guzzling down the free wifi as they sip one can of non diet Coke per hour.

Living the dream they call it Mr T, sorry not for me.

• Like 1

This thread seems to have been hijacked for one poster to prove his "Thainess" to everyone. I seriously doubt that 2,000 baht a month gets anything even remotely decent for accommodation in Naklua, unless it is a wooden hovel. Think I'll continue paying over the odds for everything, as the thought of living on a budget of 9,000 baht a month is impossible for most foreigners.

You are correct most foreigners could not live on 9,000 baht a month ( inc myself as I live on less ...) It all depends on the type of person you are.If you drink,visit bars,eat farang food and even have a " live in maid " then it will be expensive! I found another lovely accommodation today during my " afternoon stroll " a lovely 1 bed apartment set in gardens and swimming pool for 5,000 baht per month.(Naklua) Greetings from Farang Jaidee x