BANGKOK 18 July 2019 03:56

Do you want a cookie for living in a slum?

I am guess that would be classed as extravagant farang food to him, how about a bag of mamma noodles instead ?

A rent of 2000 baht a month. Now I am feeling ripped off paying more as 2000 baht a day for a garden view on koh Samui in December.

In answer to post #68.

I am reading this in the back of a tuk tuk. Does that count?

No, much to frivolous, tuk tuks are for dumb farang tourists, you should be riding the big red #60 bus for free like the rest of us.

A rent of 2000 baht a month. Now I am feeling ripped off paying more as 2000 baht a day for a garden view on koh Samui in December.

ah but you just look at the garden, one suspects CanarySun lives in a garden and has to go number 2's behind one of the bushes,

I bet you have a real flushing toliet and a bum gun and not an empty water bottle cut in half and a bucket of water to wash your bottom...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

In answer to post #68.

I am reading this in the back of a tuk tuk. Does that count?

No, much to frivolous, tuk tuks are for dumb farang tourists, you should be riding the big red #60 bus for free like the rest of us.

I take the bus all the time , sometimes I end up on the free one , sometimes the 8 baht open window one or the 14 baht yellow airco bus.....I just take the first one that shows up !

BUT then I do not take Tuk tuks because there is no meter and many crazy drivers ,

Ohh and yes you do sometimes get the crazy bus driver but you have lots of metal around you if he crashes into anything

Edited by BKKdreaming

BUT then I do not take Tuk tuks because there is no meter and many crazy drivers ,

I would be more worried about crazy farang passengers, specifically in Pattaya, some are even members of TV...thumbsup.gif

I think 20K is pretty good for someone with no degree. My wife came back from Australia with a PhD in 2000, and several years' experience, to be restarted on 14K a month with government. She gets about 50K now with her position money, but quite a few perks, such as trips to Europe every year. A young nurse I know gets 40K a month in her second year, but works long hours and nights too.

The mean figure for salary is skewed - there are vast numbers of very low paid employees, with far fewer earning very high salaries. It's better to talk about median salary, rather than the mean.

Some of our viewers seem to be " living in Cuckoo Cuckoo land " ....

Just to remind you all that most of Thailand is a 3rd world country and naturally is very cheap to live! I do get out and about quite often on the super cool " rot fai " ( train ) and here are the general price of rents in some parts of Thailand.

Pattaya : 1 small room with bathroom / wifi / Sat tv / etc = 2000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom small condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 4000 baht a month rent

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 5000 baht a month rent ( some with pool )

Pattaya : 1 Bedroom large condo with balcony/ wifi / Sat tv /etc = 6000 baht a month rent ( with pool )

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

Buriram / Udonthani 2 bedroom " new " houses with garden 5000 baht a month

The list goes on and on but these above prices are all accurate and i have seen all of the above properties recently! This is just a simple guide to show " our viewers " the correct rental prices on 1 years contract !! Farang Jaidee xwub.png

• Like 2

Back to the subject of average Thai salary for a moment!

An article in the Bangkok paper talking about negative interest rates cites 25% of the population earn less than THB 130K a year.

Chiang Mai ( Village ) 2 bedroom house with garden = 2000 baht a month rent ( unfurnished)

Chiang Mai (Village ) 1 small room with bathroom = 1000 baht a month rent (unfurnished )

And by contrast:

Mrs CM's brothers girfriend (native Thai) rents an unfurnished room in CM, no TV, fan only, 2,500, doesn;t include water/electric.

And Mrs CM's sister rents a room in Lamphun, same as the above, 2k a month.

I don't doubt there are places for rent at the prices you quote, whether or not the average westerner would be prepared to live there is another matter.

Here in the US the basic wage is equivalent to 42,000 baht a month. So it has got to be much lower in Thailand. My wife tells me 7,000 baht is the normal basic wage. 20,000 is a very good wage, equivalent to $22 an hour in the US. I get paid $10 an hour here. $22 an hour is a very high wage in the US.

Bt.20,000 per month x 12months = Bt.240,000 per year / by 52 weeks = Bt.4615.38 per week / by 48hrs per week = Bt.96.15 per hour.

Bt.96.15 = $3.01 USD per hour.

How is Bt.20,000 per month equivalent to $22 an hour in the USA ?

Edited by Spoonman

How many times has this been asked? whistling.gif

http://www.manpowerthailand.com/know_detail.php?id=171

http://www.kellyservices.co.th/uploadedFiles/Thailand_-_Kelly_Services/4-Resource_Center/White_Papers_and_Reports/Thailand%20Salary%20ebook%202013-14.pdf

Interestingly Kelly list the lowest paid job at 10.5k a month.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Thais can live a reasonable life on 7,000 baht a month! Where I live that seems to be about normal. " fabulous " x

Thais can live a reasonable life on 7,000 baht a month! Where I live that seems to be about normal. " fabulous " x

The minimum at my work is about Bt.12,000.... they struggle on this and all on that number are running food/coffee shops/are motosai riders on the side to make ends meet.

I should invite you into work to educate them on how to live frugally.

• Like 1

The minimum at my work is about Bt.12,000.... they struggle on this and all on that number are running food/coffee shops/are motosai riders on the side to make ends meet.

I should invite you into work to educate them on how to live frugally.

To be honest I do show a few of the Thais how to live on less money! The problem is that they waste money on motorbikes and motorbike taxis as they will not " walk" anywhere! I think anybody who has to use a motorbike instead of walking 3 km down the road is " bloody lazy "! Thais also don't like the word "save" once they get paid they don't understand how to budget! If I can do it then so can they!!!!!! lol F.J