BANGKOK

hi all,

sorry to interrupt but I have a question similar to what OP has asked (I thought it'd be better to ask here; thread seems active biggrin.png so..).

I've been offered a software developer job position (have 4.3 years of work ex.) by a company; gross sal they've offered is 50k bahts/mo. and job position is based out of central bangkok.

so my queries are:

- would that be enough for a single guy given Bangkok is very pricey to live in? I'd be getting married in about an year or so..my wife would be earning as well but then again "bangkok" == mother of all pricest cities in TH ? ohmy.png

- can anyone suggest me some condos(would want wifi, nice locality) nearby victory monument/pathumwan/watthana? err...I am looking forward to live next to a BTS station as I'd commuting for atleast an year to a BTS station next to my office (hate city traffic jams) smile.png, a mobile package/operator?

- am a strict vegetarian so is veggie food more expensive in/around BKK?

will highly appreciate if you guys can give me a walk through biggrin.png as I'd moving in about a month's time

Edited by beerBear

50,000 baht a month wage? I could live nearly all year on that! lol Bangkok is a fab place you should be able to live easily on 15,000 a month and save 35,000 baht!

• Like 1

50,000 baht a month wage? I could live nearly all year on that! lol Bangkok is a fab place you should be able to live easily on 15,000 a month and save 35,000 baht!

hey thanks for replying

lol but taxes, social security tax have to be deducted as well.. ? :|

what I heard/read across www is 35k a month should be allright to survive in BKK biggrin.png but when I searched for some condos..they're fairly priced in the higher 10k-20k bracket :| (those with basic air con, wifi, hot water stuff)

Edited by beerBear

Simple question. Varying levels to answer it.

- Depends on what you mean by "average". In Thailand as you know those at the bottom earn a few thousand baht and are large in number. Those at the top earn millions and are few in number so would skew any "mean".

- Having a degree is important when starting. This puts the minimum at 15k a month for most people in BKK for example

- Without a degree 300 may be the minimum wage - so say about 7,500 on a 25 day month. But some people will illegally get less.

- Bottom line for someone with no degree, 20k a month is reasonable/good going, particularly if originating from up country. For an unskilled worker/labourer it would be good going. For an office worker with a degree in Bangkok 20k would be below average.

- For someone in a professional capacity, (meaning accountant, lawyer etc) it would be below average. For someone in the "other professional capacity" in foreigner orientated places it would also be low.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

- Depends on what you mean by "average". In Thailand as you know those at the bottom earn a few thousand baht and are large in number. Those at the top earn millions and are few in number so would skew any "mean".

- Having a degree is important when starting. This puts the minimum at 15k a month for most people in BKK for example

- Without a degree 300 may be the minimum wage - so say about 7,500 on a 25 day month. But some people will illegally get less.

- Bottom line for someone with no degree, 20k a month is reasonable/good going, particularly if originating from up country. For an unskilled worker/labourer it would be good going. For an office worker with a degree in Bangkok 20k would be below average.

- For someone in a professional capacity, (meaning accountant, lawyer etc) it would be below average. For someone in the "other professional capacity" in foreigner orientated places it would also be low.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

thanks for the note^ smile.png

- yep I do have a BS degree but I din't get as to how that would have an advantage here except for the min. wage increment.

can you please give me a breakup say if I have 40k a month (after tax, company deductions) then how much should I expect to pay for the accomodation(I'd want to live in a furnished condo with a BTS nearby and certainly close to pathumwan area), transportation (BTS; possibility to rent a bike?), food, mobile, a beer or two every weekend biggrin.png in BKK and finally save for the future?

Edited by beerBear

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

- yep I do have a BS degree but I din't get as to how that would have an advantage here except for the min. wage increment.

can you please give me a breakup say if I have 40k a month (after tax, company deductions) then how much should I expect to pay for the accomodation(I'd want to live in a furnished condo with a BTS nearby and certainly close to pathumwan area), transportation (BTS; possibility to rent a bike?), food, mobile, a beer or two every weekend biggrin.png in BKK and finally save for the future?

If you actually have a BS degree why on earth would you want to move here for a paperboys salary.

No offence but what country are you posting from?

Forget it on the salary you talk about.

I must admit life is Not about money (unless you are Thai....) I would rather live on 6,000 baht a month than being "stuck in an office all day" on a " telephone number salary" I prefer being outside on the beach in flip flops ( my cool " Kitos "..)

From what I can gather in Bangkok, most people think they are getting somewhere if they can pull in 30k per month.

My wife reckons sub 10k for unskilled workers, 15-30k for graduates in junior roles, 40-60k for corporate middle-management. After that it seems salaries can rise quite considerably. She knows quite a few Thai people, many educated in Thailand, earning 200k to 1m a month working in senior roles in Thai companies.

I guess successful entrepreneurs and those at the coal face of corruption can earn shocking amounts. I've been told by a guy who owns a few nightclubs, bars, restaurants and hotels in the nice parts of Bangkok that his group pays 5m a month to the police and he reckons most of that goes directly to a couple of 'big guys'. There are hundreds of similar establishments in those areas. Makes you think...

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

If you actually have a BS degree why on earth would you want to move here for a paperboys salary.

am from India and personally I'd want to move in a country which has some relly quiet places (talking about rural areas, mountains, forests etc); as far as India is concerned I've already travelled and lived my life so far from the remotest parts of eastern India to as far as northern parts of India and currently based in the NCR (Near Capital Region) of India.

hmm..well am not looking forward to have huge $(more than a hundred thousand?) bank balance for now but yes given my current company in India this one in BKK is a leap (well idk if not in terms of salary but def. it is in terms of future prospects..as the company is an MNC having major operations in singapore so besides the international exposure and cheap electronics, awesome! beaches in TH biggrin.png am looking to retire in BKK idk..maybe and am just 25 right now..yea that might sound awkward but meh)

all in all I'd def want to retire in some mountains in Northern TH instead of settling in dust back there in India; but ofc I would aim for higher cities as well outside BKK wink.png

my current plan is to work outside of India, gain considerable amt of work ex and then go back to float a small software services based firm or maybe float one in the country am in (if my work permit/visa allows)

Edited by beerBear

I must admit life is Not about money (unless you are Thai....) I would rather live on 6,000 baht a month than being "stuck in an office all day" on a " telephone number salary" I prefer being outside on the beach in flip flops ( my cool " Kitos "..)

Thats alright for you to say, how much do you have stashed away for a rainy day in Farangistan?

Nothing more than a spoilt brat rich kid with daddys credit card to help you out should it all go tits up.

Your normal Thai doesnt have such luxury.

On your 6k per month living expenses, how much is for kids education, how much for your pension/retirement plan, how much for your mortgage, how much for medical insurance, you are full of kee kwai.

Joop joop na krap.

just browsing through those station picsthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

am from India and personally I'd want to move in a country which has some relly quiet places (talking about rural areas, mountains, forests etc); as far as India is concerned I've already travelled and lived my life so far from the remotest parts of eastern India to as far as northern parts of India and currently based in the NCR (Near Capital Region) of India.

hmm..well am not looking forward to have huge $(more than a hundred thousand?) bank balance for now but yes given my current company in India this one in BKK is a leap (well idk if not in terms of salary but def. it is in terms of future prospects..as the company is an MNC having major operations in singapore so besides the international exposure and cheap electronics, awesome! beaches in TH biggrin.png am looking to retire in BKK idk..maybe and am just 25 right now..yea that might sound awkward but meh)

all in all I'd def want to retire in some mountains in Northern TH instead of settling in dust back there in India; but ofc I would aim for higher cities as well outside BKK wink.png

my current plan is to work outside of India, gain considerabe amt of work ex and then go back to float a small software services based firm or maybe float one in the country am in (if my work permit/visa allows)

Looking to retire in Bkk? LOL, no chance.

Thailand, really quiet places, sorry wrong country unless you want to live in the monastrey with the barking dogs.

Working for a MNC, get yourself to Singapore and earn some real money, stash it away and maybe in 25/30 years time you can think about retiring here.

You aint one of these digital nomads we keep hearing about are you?

Thats alright for you to say, how much do you have stashed away for a rainy day in Farangistan?

Nothing more than a spoilt brat rich kid with daddys credit card to help you out should it all go tits up.

Your normal Thai doesnt have such luxury.

On your 6k per month living expenses, how much is for kids education, how much for your pension/retirement plan, how much for your mortgage, how much for medical insurance, you are full of kee kwai.

Joop joop na krap.

"A rich kid living in a 2000 baht a month room? lol I haven't spoken to my Mother or Father in over 25 years!

F.J x

Looking to retire in Bkk? LOL, no chance.

Thailand, really quiet places, sorry wrong country unless you want to live in the monastrey with the barking dogs.

Working for a MNC, get yourself to Singapore and earn some real money, stash it away and maybe in 25/30 years time you can think about retiring here.

You aint one of these digital nomads we keep hearing about are you?

lol

ohk..but what about having a beach retirement life? biggrin.png

and pattaya def looks like a place to stay around :]

ah..well let's come back to my queries..

can I really get a fully furnished condo in BKK with a max budget of 15K a month including utility bills (elec, water, decent broadband internet?) next to a BTS not fr from pathumwan area? smile.png

Edited by beerBear

lol

ohk..but what about having a beach retirement life? biggrin.png

and pattaya def looks like a place to stay around :]

ah..well let's come back to my queries..

can I really get a fully furnished condo in BKK with a max budget of 15K a month including utility bills (elec, water, decent broadband internet?) next to a BTS not fr from pathumwan area? smile.png

Ask your question in the Bangkok Forum ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/38-bangkok-forum/