Average Thai salary?

When the minimum daily rate went up to 300 baht, a consequence was an increase for most govt workers - the rate for a degree-qualified employee rose to minimum 15,000 per month (from about 12,000). Well-publicised at the time and resulted in thousands getting pay rise to this new 15k rate

MsM is an accountant (but not 'the' accountant) for a company approx 150 staff at peak times. Highway and bridge construction.

Their start rate for office/clerical staff is 8000 baht per month; highest paid non-degree qualified on 11,000. Regular turnover at that level, a consequence of paying low when - as I stated in an early post - the local 7/11 has a sign up advertising vacancies at 12,000 a month on rotating shift basis.

Their latest hire, roading engineer 3yrs post-grad experience: 20,000 baht per month (six days a week); plus company vehicle and fuel allowance; plus housing (and it is a house, not a 'room' in a block of apartments). performance-based, but she says he can expect to be on 30,000 in two years time, at which time he will also qualify for company bonuses.

Last year's bonus was a few months' pay dependent upon length of service; those 5yrs plus service got the money bonus plus a package tour to Macau/Hong Kong.

No trip this year, but it's all these 'extras' that do make that initial salary look better.

Lower down the pay range, about a third of the staff are manual road workers on 300-350 baht per day, and are not salaried - 'as required' so when it rains, bad luck for many of them, no work, no money. But many of them do live in provided company 'housing', row upon row of one room units on-site, cheap living for those who can save and send money home for family.

Wages are on average are low,take off the Social security 500 bht month,

cost of just getting to work per month,not a lot left for all the other expenses,

or to even save a few bhat.

But what I cannot understand is some companies expect the staff to work

overtime,but will not pay for it, one company told my daughter ,you have to

help the company <deleted>!, also most jobs advertised on job sites never tell

you what wages they are offering,(first thing i would want to know,before i

even went for interview).

regards worgeordie

My son is job hunting at the moment and complains about the same thing, no salary mentioned in the online ads. Goes to interviews and they offer 10k-12k, with no benefits. He would not have bothered leaving the house if he had known in advance.

• 3 years later...

The basic salary by the ministry of labor is 300 THB/ Day and will raise this year to 318 THB/Day, 318 x 8 = 9.540 THB.

20K without degree it's more than fair, but still, some people in Bangkok, Rayong, Samut Prakan can make 60K to 200K, those working for foreign companies and able to speak in English with some experience of work

I know a Thai men who work as a finance manager in  a Norwegian company make 500K/ Month

• 1 month later...

Thai teachers in a private school can earn between 8-16K. Government schools pay much more.  Here too, over 35-40 it is almost impossible to find a good job, thus employers have enough employees to push their salary down.

• 2 weeks later...

A female Thai friend makes 18k per month as a small hotel receptionist. Her English is perfect. I work in an electronics factory and the normal educated Thai's make between 30k per month (engineers) to 60+K per month (managers). The directors make the big bucks.

On 22/03/2018 at 9:17 PM, Willington said:

This isn't bad though. Carry on!

There is a lot of money in bkk

I think the only people who will still scramble to do slave work for 4-8k a month are all Cambodian and Burmese thesedays 

In my area, most  thais have nice clothes, iphones and   new vehicles and spend a fair bit on restaurants etc

• Like 1

My gf cousin is engineer and work for some big builder around Bkk/Nonthaburi and he earn 34k.. his wife with less years experience and working at the same company in the same position earn around 25k.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:17 AM, ostyan said:

Thai teachers in a private school can earn between 8-16K. Government schools pay much more.  Here too, over 35-40 it is almost impossible to find a good job, thus employers have enough employees to push their salary down.

As far as I know & have actually seen an add, the private school teachers get more (60,000 + 5,000 housing All. ) but have to work more days.

This is at my sons new school this year & when we were getting a tour the lady (who I knew before ), said they can't get the Foreign staff due to them wanting to be at Gov. Schools, so they get a lot more time off, on the 35 - 40 K

On 3/22/2018 at 12:40 AM, scoutman360 said:

A female Thai friend makes 18k per month as a small hotel receptionist. Her English is perfect. I work in an electronics factory and the normal educated Thai's make between 30k per month (engineers) to 60+K per month (managers). The directors make the big bucks.

I think some of these Uni Grads/ect are under paid (even though the Degrees are only good for Thailand)

Example: So if one was to spend 4 yrs Uni for engineer Degree & get 30,000 p/m (maybe only 5 days p/w ), then Somchai comes along as a Aircon cleaner (doing 2 a day / 500 bht per unit ) there's not much diff

I once paid for the services of a very good & qualified Electrician to wire a whole house. It took him & 2 blokes 4 days max & the bill was 18,000 bht (Labour only ), was always very hard to get him. That was 10 yrs ago

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I think some of these Uni Grads/ect are under paid (even though the Degrees are only good for Thailand)

Example: So if one was to spend 4 yrs Uni for engineer Degree & get 30,000 p/m (maybe only 5 days p/w ), then Somchai comes along as a Aircon cleaner (doing 2 a day / 500 bht per unit ) there's not much diff

I once paid for the services of a very good & qualified Electrician to wire a whole house. It took him & 2 blokes 4 days max & the bill was 18,000 bht (Labour only ), was always very hard to get him. That was 10 yrs ago

Yes. But Somchai is not working every day. So, to have a University degree, and Masters!, can get him/her continuous income above the lower grade. The worst part is that the company is taking all the money, not Somchai.

Edited by scoutman360
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, joni08 said:

My gf cousin is engineer and work for some big builder around Bkk/Nonthaburi and he earn 34k.. his wife with less years experience and working at the same company in the same position earn around 25k.

This is completely in line with my experience here.

Yeah, 20k seems like a nice, above average salary to me.

As many of you know, at many Thai schools, the Thai teachers are making crap whereas the foreigners at the school are actually making a very liveable Thai wage. I’m honestly amazed at the patience and control Thais display when it comes to dealing with these wage disparities. 

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Yeah, 20k seems like a nice, above average salary to me.

As many of you know, at many Thai schools, the Thai teachers are making crap whereas the foreigners at the school are actually making a very liveable Thai wage. I’m honestly amazed at the patience and control Thais display when it comes to dealing with these wage disparities. 

Most of the real  foreign teachers are making a fraction of what they would anywhere else

Cheap beer and unlimited sex is the attraction, the job is just a means to an end.... 

On 3/24/2018 at 5:06 PM, BEVUP said:

As far as I know & have actually seen an add, the private school teachers get more (60,000 + 5,000 housing All. ) but have to work more days.

This is at my sons new school this year & when we were getting a tour the lady (who I knew before ), said they can't get the Foreign staff due to them wanting to be at Gov. Schools, so they get a lot more time off, on the 35 - 40 K

As if it were true. My wife would be extremely happy to get 20k with MA, and not so good English. Anyway, I will interrogate my wife about her salary.

60.000 + perks for NES teachers only, and you have to be lucky enough to find a position like this. I know dozens of Thai teachers working for around 12K.

Where is your son's school? I know teachers to that school ;)

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

As if it were true. My wife would be extremely happy to get 20k with MA, and not so good English. Anyway, I will interrogate my wife about her salary.

60.000 + perks for NES teachers only, and you have to be lucky enough to find a position like this. I know dozens of Thai teachers working for around 12K.

Where is your son's school? I know teachers to that school ;)

Well it is true 

I came across when googling about my sons new school

It was on a hire site for English Teachers 

I not know what Quals were required, but I would say full blown Teacher

They filled 2 positions with 2 Falang Teachers that had been working in China (came across their travel site adventures), even reconigsed the teacher when I walked around the school

Look up the teacher hiring sites & it may still be their (Plookapunya )

16 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Well it is true 

I came across when googling about my sons new school

It was on a hire site for English Teachers 

I not know what Quals were required, but I would say full blown Teacher

They filled 2 positions with 2 Falang Teachers that had been working in China (came across their travel site adventures), even reconigsed the teacher when I walked around the school

Look up the teacher hiring sites & it may still be their (Plookapunya )

Farang teachers, yes, but here we are trying to trace the Thai salaries. I have been living here since 2010. I am quite positive; Thai teachers almost irrespective of their qualifications cannot get more in a private school than 10-15K. Government schools can pay more. Foreign teachers are divided into 3 main parts, Fillipinos, Indians and Africans- they get 20K normally, however, I know a potential analphabet Filllipina collecting 30K for nothing ;) - Europeans, depending on their qualifications - 30-40 K, and NES teachers 35- whatever.  Thai teachers, what we are talking about here, depending on the school 10-25K is the average. My wife gets 14K and she has almost the highest salary in her private school and her salary is considered to high here. Gow, again, pais far much more, but it is really difficult to get a job there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I inquire about salary quite often.   I have met several government nurses and government teachers.   Some  50 yr old teachers with masters and 25 years make 53 k. The highest I've heard .   One teacher with 21 years exp a master's in school management who has been  a rural director 3 years ol director   at 44 make 44 k.  5 k is a housing bonus.  She pays her sister 3 k for son to stay in big Isaan city so her can get a better education.   I met a retired 50 yr old nurse who gets 20 k pension and now works as a hotel nurse in phucket.  She can schedule days off at will a month in advance and ask for only day shift or 24 hour shifts.  She got 1000 for day and 2000 for 24 hour shifts.  

I know a big BKK hotel kitchen event chef who makes 10 k/ mo.  And it's salary so they work her to the Bone.  All hours if the night to breakdown from a big event at 11 pm  and prep for a morning event.  This includes re doing the seating I big conference Hall and baking pastries to include cooking omelets on order.   Tables filled with beautiful pastries.  She works many 70 hours weeks and 12 hour shift.  Sometimes 16 hour shifts and they pay only 400 fir extra shift.   No overtime, Sunday or holiday pay.  I think it should be a crime for these hotels to charge USA prices but pay 1/8 the wage.  I think Thailand needs unions ir something.   I also learn many small jobs are now done by cambodians  and loeations.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Thanks 1

I was going to post in the SME forum but it seems pretty dead so think it may be better to post this question here.

I'm preparing to open a buffet style all you can eat shabu restaurant in Bangkok and am trying to figure out labour costs. Anyone in the restaurant industry or have similar experience hiring that could tell me how much workers salaries are? For example:

1. Monthly salary for full time floor staff (and is it based on 5 or 6 day work week?)

2. Cashier

3. Cook - will just be preparing simple things such as fried items

4. Prep cooks - mainly to prep and cut meat and veggies, refill the buffet style items in the self serve area for customers, etc.

5. Dishwasher

6. If I were to hire one "Manager" level employee how much would he/she need to be paid compared to the regular floor staff?

Any insight would be appreciated! Definitely will hook up the discounts for ThaiVisa members after opening :D

On 14/04/2018 at 9:48 AM, sky3 said:

I was going to post in the SME forum but it seems pretty dead so think it may be better to post this question here.

I'm preparing to open a buffet style all you can eat shabu restaurant in Bangkok and am trying to figure out labour costs. Anyone in the restaurant industry or have similar experience hiring that could tell me how much workers salaries are? For example:

1. Monthly salary for full time floor staff (and is it based on 5 or 6 day work week?)

2. Cashier

3. Cook - will just be preparing simple things such as fried items

4. Prep cooks - mainly to prep and cut meat and veggies, refill the buffet style items in the self serve area for customers, etc.

5. Dishwasher

6. If I were to hire one "Manager" level employee how much would he/she need to be paid compared to the regular floor staff?

Any insight would be appreciated! Definitely will hook up the discounts for ThaiVisa members after opening :D

1. 12-13k a month plus tips/service. If your tips/service is no good they will leave.

2. 12-13k.

3. 14-15k.

4. 13-14k.

5. 9.3k.

6. 20k.

Start them low. You can you always raise them up later.

I have to say that I hope you have strong F&B experience. Even if you do, it will still be an eye opener running a restaurant here.

You forgot your most key member of staff: Admin in the office. Who is going to prepare your invoices and expenditure, order stock, pay staff, do banking, liaise with your accountant, renew your food and alcohol license, deal with your VAT and social fund queries, sort out staff holidays, sick leave, maternity leave, answer the phone, deal with emails, etc?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

1. 12-13k a month plus tips/service. If your tips/service is no good they will leave.

2. 12-13k.

3. 14-15k.

4. 13-14k.

5. 9.3k.

6. 20k.

Start them low. You can you always raise them up later.

I have to say that I hope you have strong F&B experience. Even if you do, it will still be an eye opener running a restaurant here.

You forgot your most key member of staff: Admin in the office. Who is going to prepare your invoices and expenditure, order stock, pay staff, do banking, liaise with your accountant, renew your food and alcohol license, deal with your VAT and social fund queries, sort out staff holidays, sick leave, maternity leave, answer the phone, deal with emails, etc?

Cooking "just some fried items" is probably the thing that will make or break a restaurant 

If the food is excellent people will come back

If it comes swimming in a pool of Greece like usual then it's not somewhere I would ever eat again

I think the. Most important person you will need is a chef who takes pride in the job and you need to stay on top of the waiters so the people get the food as soon as it comes off the pan

Timing is everything! 

If the steak is cold but the fries are hot or worse, microwaved etc nobody will be impressed

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2018 at 1:56 PM, joni08 said:

that low value is still 6 k more than starting engineer at egat.  

does that value include the yearly bonus? I know sometimes bonus can be equivalent to years income

On 3/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, ostyan said:

Farang teachers, yes, but here we are trying to trace the Thai salaries. I have been living here since 2010. I am quite positive; Thai teachers almost irrespective of their qualifications cannot get more in a private school than 10-15K. Government schools can pay more. Foreign teachers are divided into 3 main parts, Fillipinos, Indians and Africans- they get 20K normally, however, I know a potential analphabet Filllipina collecting 30K for nothing ;) - Europeans, depending on their qualifications - 30-40 K, and NES teachers 35- whatever.  Thai teachers, what we are talking about here, depending on the school 10-25K is the average. My wife gets 14K and she has almost the highest salary in her private school and her salary is considered to high here. Gow, again, pais far much more, but it is really difficult to get a job there.

The numbers you mentioned are really the bottom of the barrel rates. Also your wife only gets 14k as a teacher ? Even the lowest scumbag delivery drivers who get smacked on lao khao on a weekday make around that figure at the company i work for.

There are quite a few Thais in mid management positions like sales manager, area manager, HR manager, warehouse manager making 100-250k a month and even secretaries to top management are in the 80-120k bracket and these are not even people necessarily super high skilled at their job either. Just because the majority of the population is getting ripped off doesn't mean there aren't Thais living well earning good wages on par with the West because let's be honest besides rental, public transportation and gasoline prices not many things in Thailand are cheaper.

8 hours ago, IamRoach said:

There are quite a few Thais in mid management positions like sales manager, area manager, HR manager, warehouse manager making 100-250k a month and even secretaries to top management are in the 80-120k bracket and these are not even people necessarily super high skilled at their job either

How do you get these numbers? Because they told you? Thais like to exaggerate to make them self look better. I've met people who told me they make 50k a month... but somehow they stayed in a 2k per month apartment without aircon, seems unrealistic. I once dated a girl who is the secretary / personal assistant of a CEO of a mid sized company, she made about 35k a month.

If you look at the link from jobsdb which i posted before you can see that the maximum for management positions is somewhere at 120k (this is also about the salary of flight attendants of international airlines), and the only person who told me they make more than that was a doctor at a private hospital.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

How do you get these numbers? Because they told you?

From foreigners working with these people, what Thais say I take with a pinch of salt. Personally I work with a brand manager with very little executive functions that does about 2 hours of work/day and makes about 100k + expenses.

13 hours ago, IamRoach said:

There are quite a few Thais in mid management positions like sales manager, area manager, HR manager, warehouse manager making 100-250k a month and even secretaries to top management are in the 80-120k bracket and these are not even people necessarily super high skilled at their job either.

I don't think there are that many mid management Thai staff earning 100-250k a month.