Phuket Taxi-Mafia what was it all about?

96tehtarp

I've been following the other topics about the crackdown and arrests regarding the various mafia. However since I gave up completely on Phuket many years ago I have no idea how bad the situation is now. I simply do not go there anymore and I'd like to know how bad it is/was.

Please post your stories of taxi mafias in Phuket here. What was the problem?

Tuk tuks and taxis had Phuket by the balls. There was simply no control of them. If you wanted transportation on the island you had to use them at ridiculous rates. They parked where ever they wanted to and if you dare take one of their places they chased you off. Walking out of Phuket airport was a nightmare of harassment. If a friend came to your hotel to pick you up, these guys would come over and hassle him for taking business from them.

The Taxi mafia has been put in it's place. They still dominate transportation on the island but everything is better.

There is room for improvement. There should be a reliable public transportation system on Phuket. That is now a possibility where in the past that would have been impossible with these taxi thugs.

• Like 1

Often impossible to get a realistic price for a short distance, like from Kata to Karon. Speaking Thai, or even a Thai person doing the talking, didn't help. They just wouldn't budge. But in other places, like Hua Hin, you can stumble across the same problem.

• Like 2

Tuk Tuks still own beach road, taxi prices have gone up from the airport. I think someone is using rose colored glasses to even think the problem is solved. And when are we going to get hop on-off public transportation? Lots of talk but little action. In Thailand it seems news that the problem is solved is enough, although the problem really isn't solved, it's all about face.

actually not true;

from the airport last year to Kamala was 800 baht

last month it drooped to 750. I was amazed!!!

I hear there bringing in Metered Taxi's

so now we will get the same response.

"please turn on the meter"

" oh,sorry, meter not work, 1,000 baht"

• Like 1

I have my own transport and rarely use taxis in Phuket. I remember one time having a breakdown on my bike mid way from Karon to Patong. I flagged down a passing Tuk Tuk, but he wanted a stupid 500 baht price. I walked.

Must admit I have never had a problem with a meter taxi from the airport. Always had meter switched on, never had any 'tourist' stops. Helps that I speak enough Thai to make the driver know I am local.

I've had bigger problems in Bangkok getting to the old airport from a hotel. Metertaxi hanging around these hotels charge a high fixed price, as much as 1,000 baht. I walk to the main road and flag down passing meter taxis. Most will switch on meter once I say never mind, I'll get another taxi.

My biggest beef is the parking issue. Even when I find a space, someone jumps out and tells me it's a taxi space, in not a very polite fashion. Try to just park, and come back to damaged car or flat tyres.

• Like 2

Tuk tuks and taxis had Phuket by the balls. There was simply no control of them. If you wanted transportation on the island you had to use them at ridiculous rates. They parked where ever they wanted to and if you dare take one of their places they chased you off. Walking out of Phuket airport was a nightmare of harassment. If a friend came to your hotel to pick you up, these guys would come over and hassle him for taking business from them.

The Taxi mafia has been put in it's place. They still dominate transportation on the island but everything is better.

There is room for improvement. There should be a reliable public transportation system on Phuket. That is now a possibility where in the past that would have been impossible with these taxi thugs.

How has this improved? I keep reading about the taxi meter stand at the airport, but it's always been there. Only now, the prices have increased. I was recently on Penang and watched as the Rapid Buses wizzed passed at all hours of the day and night, together with taxis actually cruising for custom. If Penang Island can do this, why on earth not Phuket? Those little chicken buses brimming with Burmans showing up hourly, if you're lucky, and stopping around 5 pm are a downright embarrassment on this, haha, 'world renowned holiday destination'.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How has this improved? I keep reading about the taxi meter stand at the airport, but it's always been there. Only now, the prices have increased. I was recently on Penang and watched as the Rapid Buses wizzed passed at all hours of the day and night, together with taxis actually cruising for custom. If Penang Island can do this, why on earth not Phuket? Those little chicken buses brimming with Burmans showing up hourly, if you're lucky, and stopping around 5 pm are a downright embarrassment on this, haha, 'world renowned holiday destination'.

What?

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1

Circa 90' I rented a Suzuki jeep to avoid the mafia. At 500 baht per day it was a bargain. Low and behold at Patong I'm hit by a very smiley taxi guy who claims it's my fault for scratching his car. It cost me a 5k deductible. There were plenty of smiles and wai's doing the rounds. Everybody was happy and cheerful.

I quit Phuket circa 1990, after the Suzuki indecent and I was hit with 3-400 baht charge for a tuk tuk to an adjacent beach Karon/Kata. I wasn't a cheap tourist at the time either, when on holidays I'd regularly spend 5-6k per night carousing. I simply refused to pay two days wages for a ten minute ride.

What finally did the island in for me was the dishonest overcharging by almost everyone.

My best friend at the time was a legendary resident "lady" from Nong Khai, she took me on many a tour of Patong. We went to 100's of bars and farang owned bars, restaurants and shops. Each time she'd quietly ask me to look at the licence behind the bar. It was hers. (In name only)... farang owned motorcycle rental shop after restaurant after bar. It was all hers, (in name only). All the financing for the bikes and with Calsberg and Kloster and Singha was in her name.

She's long since made her millions and emigrated to Australia with her husband, however I'll never forget on several occasions when I was feeling rich and generous I would want to take her to tourist restaurants where we ordered liberally and at will. When check bin time came she'd scrutinize the bill and lambaste the staff in the most filthy vulgar language imaginable:

"We didn't order any lobster, take this bin back. We didn't order any red wine, take this bin back. We didn't order steak, take this bin back. You stupid thieving mongrel! We did not eat any oysters you thieving piece of dirt. ...", and on and on it went. This happened at nearly every restaurant I took her to.

Phuket, no thanks. The last straw for me was when they lengthened the runway at the airport and widened the road to Patong. Suddenly appeared hundreds of tourists from Toulouse reeking of perfume fresh off a charter flight asking how much is that in Francs? I was outa there.

Maybe I was wrong?

Circa 90' I rented a Suzuki jeep to avoid the mafia. At 500 baht per day it was a bargain. Low and behold at Patong I'm hit by a very smiley taxi guy who claims it's my fault for scratching his car. It cost me a 5k deductible. There were plenty of smiles and wai's doing the rounds. Everybody was happy and cheerful.

I quit Phuket circa 1990, after the Suzuki indecent and I was hit with 3-400 baht charge for a tuk tuk to an adjacent beach Karon/Kata. I wasn't a cheap tourist at the time either, when on holidays I'd regularly spend 5-6k per night carousing. I simply refused to pay two days wages for a ten minute ride.

What finally did the island in for me was the dishonest overcharging by almost everyone.

My best friend at the time was a legendary resident "lady" from Nong Khai, she took me on many a tour of Patong. We went to 100's of bars and farang owned bars, restaurants and shops. Each time she'd quietly ask me to look at the licence behind the bar. It was hers. (In name only)... farang owned motorcycle rental shop after restaurant after bar. It was all hers, (in name only). All the financing for the bikes and with Calsberg and Kloster and Singha was in her name.

She's long since made her millions and emigrated to Australia with her husband, however I'll never forget on several occasions when I was feeling rich and generous I would want to take her to tourist restaurants where we ordered liberally and at will. When check bin time came she'd scrutinize the bill and lambaste the staff in the most filthy vulgar language imaginable:

"We didn't order any lobster, take this bin back. We didn't order any red wine, take this bin back. We didn't order steak, take this bin back. You stupid thieving mongrel! We did not eat any oysters you thieving piece of dirt. ...", and on and on it went. This happened at nearly every restaurant I took her to.

Phuket, no thanks. The last straw for me was when they lengthened the runway at the airport and widened the road to Patong. Suddenly appeared hundreds of tourists from Toulouse reeking of perfume fresh off a charter flight asking how much is that in Francs? I was outa there.

Maybe I was wrong?

It hasn't hasn't changed from your description at all, in fact, probably become worse, but we love it here, for the "Thai Culture." cheesy.gif

What has changed, is the tourist are not from France anymore, but from Russia. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Often impossible to get a realistic price for a short distance, like from Kata to Karon. Speaking Thai, or even a Thai person doing the talking, didn't help. They just wouldn't budge. But in other places, like Hua Hin, you can stumble across the same problem.

Yet, up in Pattaya, it's 10 baht.

With transport costing moer than your food and/or drink and/or accommodation, in some cases - is it little wonder why "repeat tourists" have stopped "repeating" coming here?

• Like 1

@NKM

Let's see if the new rules at the airport pan out on 1st September 2014 - as in only meter taxis. That will be a good will start by the NCPO. I have a good feeling that even more changes will be implemented to defeat the taxi/tuk tuk mafia.

LIK, my post was based on the "here and now." To date, there have been arrests, arrest warrants, warings, road blocks, "urging" meetings etc etc - but NO ACTUAL CHANGE on the ground.

Like you, and many others, I await positive change here, but until I see it, I can't post about it, as it currently does not exist.

• Like 1

@NKM

Let's see if the new rules at the airport pan out on 1st September 2014 - as in only meter taxis. That will be a good will start by the NCPO. I have a good feeling that even more changes will be implemented to defeat the taxi/tuk tuk mafia.

Sept 1st, that's tomorrow. Let's hope enforcement of "meter only" taxis from the airport materializes.

Back in my day a tuk tuk from Patong to Karon - Kata and back would easily cost more than a night's accommodation in a mid range bungalow. Still same?

Saw a meter taxi cruising around Rawai yesterday with the 'for hire' sign lit. A welcome sight. Just got to get the prices reasonable and we have the beginnings of a decent taxi system.

Yes, I know they're not supposed to start till the 1st Sept but maybe this guy was 'testing the water' before the official start.

@NKM

Sept 1st, that's tomorrow. Let's hope enforcement of "meter only" taxis from the airport materializes.

Back in my day a tuk tuk from Patong to Karon - Kata and back would easily cost more than a night's accommodation in a mid range bungalow. Still same?

hmmm, back in my day a tuk tuk from Patong to Karon made a trip over the hill to Chao fa road, down to Chalong an than up to Karon via Kata beach. LOL

would cost a small fortune.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What?

Okay, sa-lowly just for you. The Migrant Burmese Workers Are Not Allowed To Own Motorbikes (legally, anyway) And Must Therefore Use The Only Affordable Transport On The Island - BAHT BUSES, Which Are Small And Infrequent - Thus Filled With Burmans With No Other Means Of Transport Leaving Very Little Room For Anyone Else. Geddit? Gottit? Good coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Okay, sa-lowly just for you. The Migrant Burmese Workers Are Not Allowed To Own Motorbikes (legally, anyway) And Must Therefore Use The Only Affordable Transport On The Island - BAHT BUSES, Which Are Small And Infrequent - Thus Filled With Burmans With No Other Means Of Transport Leaving Very Little Room For Anyone Else. Geddit? Gottit? Good coffee1.gif

Going a bit off topic here. As far as I know the draconian restrictions on Myanmar Workers were lifted some time ago. Maybe something to do with the ASEAN agreement. Now they can own and use mobile phones, no curfew at night, and can own a vehicle in Thailand.