Maximum ATM Withdrawl

OK so my card has to be at the limit I want to pull, got it.

What is max allowance per bank? I used to use Aeon, but I guess now only matters best rate so?

Hoping to pull US600/18,500 which I think is my card limit (debit).

I'm with SCB, KrungSri.

Thx

Ultimately it depends on the cards daily withdrawal limit set by your issuing bank and the exchange rate of the day.

As for ATM machines they are usually set to a maximum 25,000 Baht

(sometimes 20,000) per withdrawal.

If your issuing bank limit is higher you can make multiple ATM withdrawals (plus 150 or 180 Baht ATM withdrawal fees per transaction) until you reach the cards daily limit.

Or as mentioned above you can go inside the bank and make a cash advance at a desk in there.

Just to add, you may sometimes get a message saying the withdrawal has been cancelled and to contact the issuing bank. Just try a different banks ATM machine as sometimes there appears to be glitches with that banks ATM system.

i can set limit to as much as 200K a day with SCB, it's normally set at 20K a day but can change at ATM machine, it will ask for new limit and also PP number previously used as ID to open A/C.

Very handy if you need a large amount of cash in a hurry and once withdrawn set limit back to 20K a day or whatever required.

Yes ,some are 20,000 baht, some are 30,000 baht, it may also depend on the note sizes available in the machine.

I used to hit my card limit rather than the ATM machine limit.

Don't forget the 180 baht to be tacked on!

You will be dealing with two transaction limits, one set by your home country card-issuing bank and one set by the local ATM you use. These two limits are completely separate controlled by separate entities. For example, if your card issuing bank only allows $500 per day/transaction but the ATM you are using allows $600 per transaction and you try to pull $600, then the transaction will be rejected---not caused by the local ATM but your card-issuing bank rejecting the transaction. So, be sure to understand these two completely separate things that controls how much an ATM or counter withdrawal transaction will be approved for.

Regarding withdrawal maximums for Thai ATMs that varies from Bt20K to Bt30K depending on the Thai bank. Go to this thread and scroll through the various posts for ATM maximums and the associated foreign card ATM fee of either Bt150 or Bt180.

Unless an ATM possibly offers a DCC transaction (most of them don't, but some of them do depending on the card you use)...be sure to say No! to any DCC transaction request because you'll get a lower exchange rate than the Visa/Mastercard exchange, the exchange rate you will receive is the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate "minus any foreign transaction fee your card-issuing bank" may apply. Once again, a person needs to know what charges his card-issuing bank may apply....charges that are completely separate from any local ATM fee like the Bt150-180 foreign card fee charged by Thai banks/AEON.

Ultimately it depends on the cards daily withdrawal limit set by your issuing bank and the exchange rate of the day.

If your issuing bank limit is higher you can make multiple ATM withdrawals (plus 150 or 180 Baht ATM withdrawal fees per transaction) until you reach the cards daily limit.

Or as mentioned above you can go inside the bank and make a cash advance at a desk in there.

Just to add, you may sometimes get a message saying the withdrawal has been cancelled and to contact the issuing bank. Just try a different banks ATM machine as sometimes there appears to be glitches with that banks ATM system.

I have always found that my daily limit be it Thai bank or UK bank I am drawing on is 20,000B. As for having a message contact your issuing branch that has happened to me a couple of times and usually because you are drawing out more than normal and the bank are just doing a security check to see you are the owner of the card and it is not a stolen card. Keep up the good work is what I say to the banks

I have always found that my daily limit be it Thai bank or UK bank I am drawing on is 20,000B. As for having a message contact your issuing branch that has happened to me a couple of times and usually because you are drawing out more than normal and the bank are just doing a security check to see you are the owner of the card and it is not a stolen card. Keep up the good work is what I say to the banks

You could find that 20,000 is the daily limit you or your bank has set for your card. I've had no problems doing multiple 20,000 withdrawals one after the other if i've adjusted my daily limit up via netbank for that purpose.

I've generally found the transaction cancelled contact your bank messages as caused by glitches in that particular banks ATM system. The few times i've contacted my bank after these messages they advised me there is no hold placed on my card and it was a bank communication glitch.

Only last week I encountered one of the contact you bank messages and went to the next banks ATM next to it and withdrew without problems.

At Bangkok Bank, I can set my own limit.

Yes, you can, but that still don't allow you to pull more than whatever the local ATM will allow (i.e., a Bangkok Bank, Kbank, SCB, AEON, etc., ATM) even if the limit you set with your Bangkok Bank account limit is set higher. Then a person just needs to slide their card into the ATM again to do another money pull until they reach the daily limit set by/with the card-issuing bank.

I keep my limit set at exactly what I am willing to loose in the event of fraud and have instant SMS messages regarding any login or activity on my account. I have little confidence any stolen cash would be insured so I get peace of mind knowing an ATM scammer would not be able to run wild without me knowing or limiting the unauthorized withdrawal. If I need an amount of cash larger then my set limit, I plan for it and make multiple withdrawals over several days. I actually misplaced my ATM card recently (knowing myself, I was pretty sure it was not truly lost or stolen so was not too panicked, though it still has not turned up). It was on a Friday with a 2 day holiday following the weekend so getting a new card took a few days, but the entire time I was fairly confident no fraud was taking place as I had the alerts set up. I use KTB buy the way and really love their Netbanking app. It's truly amazing the amount of things I can accomplish with it.

At Bangkok Bank, I can set my own limit.

Yes, you can, but that still don't allow you to pull more than whatever the local ATM will allow (i.e., a Bangkok Bank, Kbank, SCB, AEON, etc., ATM) even if the limit you set with your Bangkok Bank account limit is set higher. Then a person just needs to slide their card into the ATM again to do another money pull until they reach the daily limit set by/with the card-issuing bank.

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage talking about setting and selecting Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card withdrawal limits. Link

i can set limit to as much as 200K a day with SCB, it's normally set at 20K a day but can change at ATM machine, it will ask for new limit and also PP number previously used as ID to open A/C.

Very handy if you need a large amount of cash in a hurry and once withdrawn set limit back to 20K a day or whatever required.

Are you saying you can draw Baht 200,000 from a single ATM? or by hitting ten different ATMs?

Can't say I have any experience (or need) to try that, but surely machines have their limits regardless of bank limits. I have to believe Baht 20,000 or maybe 30,000 would be a max from one machine.

Are you saying you can draw Baht 200,000 from a single ATM? or by hitting ten different ATMs?

Can't say I have any experience (or need) to try that, but surely machines have their limits regardless of bank limits. I have to believe Baht 20,000 or maybe 30,000 would be a max from one machine.

He's saying his total daily transaction limit....that is, sliding your card in the ATM multiple times to reach your daily limit. Bt200K is common maximum daily limit for Thai bank debit cards but usually you have to ask for it to be set that high as the default will usually be set to something lower. For example, take a look at the Bangkok Bank webpage in my previous post regarding the different daily limits available for Bangkok Bank cards.

I can't say if an ATM will only allow so many withdrawals per ATM card, but I do know I have used my Bangkok Bank debit card before to pull Bt25K and then slide the card back in and pull another Bt25K (that's all I did as that's all the money I needed)...did both pulls from the same Bangkok Bank ATM.

One of the best bets for foreign debit cards in Thailand right now is using a VISA logo card at any Thai Military Bank ATMs.

TMB allows up to 30,000 -- about $900 -- per withdrawal, if the bank that issued your card has its own card limit that much or higher.

And, the TMB ATMs right now still only charge the 150 baht withdrawal fee for VISA cards, not the higher 180 baht fee that some other banks are charging for VISA cards. (Right now, basically all the Thai banks, excluding AEON which isn't a bank, are charging 180 baht for MasterCard withdrawals).

I wanted to withdrawn money over the counter at K Bank in Chiang Mai,using my Nationwide(UK)Flexplus visa debit card.

But they said only allow a maximum of 20,000,same as their ATM.

And instead of the Visa rate,I got their exchange rate. No fee,and not a huge difference in the rate.

I do have a K Bank account as well.

Very handy if you need a large amount of cash in a hurry and once withdrawn set limit back to 20K a day or whatever

Yip, same machine 20k at a time.

Did not need to go into branch to set this up but was asked for PP number to confirm on machine.

The manufacturer of the note dispenser in an ATM must keep a physical/mechanical limit on notes dispensed to prevent jams and downtime. That physical limit is typically 100 notes. Every ATM could dispense up to that physical limit. The banks want to prevent downtime and jams and make money so they set the software limits much lower than the physical maximum of the dispenser. When a bank sets up an ATM they will program it to give a maximum number of notes from the dispenser mechanism and the software will make a calculation to keep the dispensed notes within that maximum. If a bank ATM will allow 30k in Thai baht. That is 30 1,000 baht notes. What happens if the cassette with 1,000's run empty? Then the machine must revert to 500's or 100's to fill the request and still keep the dispense to 30 notes and that of course lowers the maximum amount that can be dispensed on that transaction. Other banks only allow 25 or 20 notes maximum. Not all ATM's are filled with all denominations some may only have the larger notes and some in the neighborhoods have a mix based on the usage for that area.

There are many reasons why you can only get the amounts you get at a particular ATM.

The manufacturer of the note dispenser in an ATM must keep a physical/mechanical limit on notes dispensed to prevent jams and downtime. That physical limit is typically 100 notes. Every ATM could dispense up to that physical limit. The banks want to prevent downtime and jams and make money so they set the software limits much lower than the physical maximum of the dispenser. When a bank sets up an ATM they will program it to give a maximum number of notes from the dispenser mechanism and the software will make a calculation to keep the dispensed notes within that maximum. If a bank ATM will allow 30k in Thai baht. That is 30 1,000 baht notes. What happens if the cassette with 1,000's run empty? Then the machine must revert to 500's or 100's to fill the request and still keep the dispense to 30 notes and that of course lowers the maximum amount that can be dispensed on that transaction. Other banks only allow 25 or 20 notes maximum. Not all ATM's are filled with all denominations some may only have the larger notes and some in the neighborhoods have a mix based on the usage for that area.

There are many reasons why you can only get the amounts you get at a particular ATM.

AEON ATMs used to have a very high per withdrawal limit on their number of bills, and their ATMs always have only stocked 1,000 baht notes.

But then sometime back, they reduced the per withdrawal limit to 20K, far below what it previously had been.

In a lot of cases as with AEON, I suspect the limits that exist are more ones chosen by the particular bank or banking regulators than they are a function of hardware or software limitations on the ATMs themselves.

You can call your bank to raise the limit as a one-off.

Some card-issuing banks will permit that, and others will not. It just depends on the bank.

But either way, raising the bank's card limit doesn't change the physical or programming limit that the Thai bank places on the number of bills their machines will dispense per withdrawal.

You could have a $1000 (or about 32,000 baht) daily limit on your home country bank bard for ATM withdrawals. But if the machine will only dispense a maximum of 20 or 25K per withdrawal, that's all you're going to get per withdrawal.

A person with a higher card limit could, of course, do a SECOND withdrawal right afterward for the remaining amount and still stay within their card-issuing bank's daily withdrawal limit. But that's going to incur another 150/180 baht ATM fee. And the whole point here is to minimize paying those to the extent possible.

But let's say someone's card had a $500 daily ATM withdrawal limit, and they wanted to make a larger 25,000 baht withdrawal, even then, there can be procedural hurdles. One example: I have one bank with a $500 daily limit that will raise their limit on request. But they'll only do so for a one business day/hours period on the day the request is made.

So, because the bank is in the U.S. and right now 12 hours different from here, their business day starts at 9 pm Thai time and runs until 6 am. Thus, if I wanted to make use of that one-time request feature with them, I couldn't call them until after 9 pm time here, and then would have to go out to the ATM afterward, meaning 9:30 to 10 pm at night, when mall branch ATMs are closing and that leaves pretty much street ATMs, which I'm not a fan of using in general and especially not late into the night.... Just an example.

Archived