Fearing military, Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

Lite Beer

Driving from North pattaya along the beach yesterday I counted around 30 girls/ladyboys waiting for customers. Not many compared with 200 a few months ago.

I haven't been there in a long time or at least since the latest renovation of the beach area. Have they not removed a lot of the shaded areas where the hookers used to sit loitering waiting for customers? It's now not very comfortable standing in the hot sun, waiting for customers.

The purpose of removing shaded areas and lounging areas on beach road was probably to discourage loitering and solicitation by prostitutes.

There used to be some decent areas to sit along beach road. now they are unshaded, fewer trees, the road has been widened and takes up 10-20 feet of what used to be beach so that you can't sit on the beach chairs without getting more noise than before. Just is not as peaceful as it was just a few years ago.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of traffic. What the hell happened to 2nd road? It's a roller coaster now. If the baht bus goes more than 20km/h you are being thrown in the air practically hitting the ceiling as it goes over those bumps. I'm guessing it's due to all the backed up traffic and especially those big buses. They are going to have to fix that pretty soon as it seems be getting pretty bad.

Fortunately, traffic is so backed up on 2nd road now the traffic doesn't go fast enough for the bumps to be a problem yet .w00t.gif

Edited by lapd

Why not pay some Thais to clean it up every night? Pay them by the pound and that beach would be spotless (assuming you can keep an eye on them so they only get it from the beach). They would get a return on that money 1000x. Does much more damage to the cities reputation than street workers which is still a reason for a lot of the tourism like it or not.

Seriously this is a brilliant idea.

Why not pay some Thais to clean it up every night? Pay them by the pound and that beach would be spotless (assuming you can keep an eye on them so they only get it from the beach). They would get a return on that money 1000x. Does much more damage to the cities reputation than street workers which is still a reason for a lot of the tourism like it or not.

Seriously this is a brilliant idea.

Not too long ago I saw a bunch of Thais in uniforms (orange shirts) cleaning up Jomtien beach with rakes etc.. At the very end of the walkway going towards Pattaya. Badly needed there as that part of the beach collects a lot of garbage. They were loading all the garbage into a big truck which looked like it was maybe a city owned truck. So someone somewhere is paying Thais to clean up that beach. Haven't seen that in Pattaya altough I think there is some of that going on. Maybe by the beach chair mafia as it just makes good business sense for them to keep their section of the beach clean. Still garbage all over the place. Seems like a no brainer. You have hundreds (thousands) of tourists walking along there every day. If you are proud of your city and want to promote tourism you could start by cleaning up the damn garbage instead of harassing the unofficial ambassadors (prostitutes) of the city who actually bring in revenue like it or not.

Edited by lapd

For the protection of both ThaiVisa and the poster, a post was removed for defamatory comments ...

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

I guess some people will like this fantasy, but the reality is that the tourists dont mind the street workers (apart from the ones that are thieves) and walking street is now quite an attraction because of its sordid reputation. what the tourists dont like and the reason many dont return is the polluted beaches and sea. but this isnt an attempt to try an attract tourists, this is just about face

Read my mind. Walking along the beach all the garbage is an eyesore and keeps getting worse. Why not pay some Thais to clean it up every night? Pay them by the pound and that beach would be spotless (assuming you can keep an eye on them so they only get it from the beach). They would get a return on that money 1000x. Does much more damage to the cities reputation than street workers which is still a reason for a lot of the tourism like it or not.

I thought it was the umbrella peoples contractual obligation to keep the beach clean in front of their areas. All the city has to do is end the contract due to it being breached and give it to someone else prepared to do what they say they will do.

Edited by slygeeza

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...