BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lite Beer

Fearing military, Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

“I want to completely change the image of Pattaya from being sin city to a friendly town that everyone can enjoy,”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

That may cut the number of "quality tourists" drastically in the hub of vertical smiles

Edited by Lupatria

I personally have conservative views on prostitution.

I view it as sexually taking advantage of someone in poverty or desperation. Akin to rape in my mind.

I realize that much of Pattaya's revenue my drop off but I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Be innovative and figure something else out that doesn't make you the seediest city on the planet.

It'll take a huge clampdown to accomplish anything in cleaning up the sex trade in Thailand.

ok, let the "you pay for it anyway comments" start

• Like 1

...adding he was aiming to totally eradicate street prostitution. “This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town.”

I don't think that this aim will have any (good) influence on happiness...

“I want to completely change the image of Pattaya from being sin city to a friendly town that everyone can enjoy,”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You'd think they'd know by now you can't turn a ho into a housewife. Pattaya with no adult entertainment would not turn into a family town but into a ghost town.

it already is a ghost town, its only Bangkokians coming down to shop at central in the weekends thats keeping it going at the moment

Isaans economy will take a big dive!

I'm very interested to know why? Surely not based on the widely held but erroneous belief that the majority of street girls come from Isaan (statistics please). Poverty may be widespread in Isaan but the morals appear to be a lot higher than the majority of Thailand.

I just told my wife and she laughed. What about the Issan girls? They not make money selling beer?

My wife’s other comment, was that all the stupid farang go there.

At some point this middle class dominate value will find resistance.

Some of the legal activities need to be cleaned up, but to eradicate what has provided many a income for many years will not make everyone happy.

It's that kind of regional prejudice that perpetuates the negative stereotypes that unfairly tarnish hard-working, honest, beautiful people with the wrong brush.

What about the North girls? The South girls? The Bangkok girls? There are prostitutes from all over Thailand.

The majority of working girls in Pattaya are from Isaan, but then the Isaan region pretty much makes up for half of Thailand's population (26 million odd people). So it's somewhat disproportionate.

The large majority of Isaan women are disgusted by what they hear about women selling themselves in Pattaya and other tourist destinations. If you know anything about Isaan-Lao culture, you'll know of the reserved, frigid approach that surrounds intimate interaction.

When I lived in Samui and Chiang Mai, I met girls selling sex from all over Thailand, many from the south and places in the north like Lampang and Chiang Rai.

Bangkok has some of the worst poverty in Thailand, see Klong Toey slum for reference. Where there is poverty and poor women with kids to support you will find prostitution, drug abuse and alcoholism.

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1

If they really wanted to make Pattaya a "friendly" town they could enforce the parking regs so traffic could actually move. Having the meter taxis use their meters would be an improvement, also. Ending prostitution? Anywhere in Thailand? Ha, ha.

• Like 1