Fearing military, Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

Lite Beer

A lot of Thai families from Bkk actually bring their children down to Pattaya for a weekend or holiday because thats the closest beach to town for them. But I would say nearly 90% of foreigners are there for the sleaze. No parents in their right minds would bring their kids walking down Soho in England or Kings Cross in Sydney. They will have to be crazy to do that.

Have you actually been to Soho in London? I used to live and run a business there. It has theatres and restaurants. You'd be hard pushed to find evidence of sex workers in Soho at all...unless you went looking for it.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony here is that Purachai, Thaksin's home minister did exactly the same as this some years ago - went on a moral crusade to clean up Thailand - no sex workers, bars closed at midnight, kick out foreigners etc etc. The NCPO aren't doing anything that hasn't been tried before - several times. Things will soon revert to normal as the ordinary Thais are masters at getting around restrictive laws enacted by their rulers (elected or not)

• Like 2

A lot of Thai families from Bkk actually bring their children down to Pattaya for a weekend or holiday because thats the closest beach to town for them. But I would say nearly 90% of foreigners are there for the sleaze. No parents in their right minds would bring their kids walking down Soho in England or Kings Cross in Sydney. They will have to be crazy to do that.

No, Bang Saen Beach is between Chonburi and Bangkok.http://www.wikitravel.org/enBang_Saen. And was the main beach Bangkok Thais used to go to - Before Central Festival

• Like 1

I guess some people will like this fantasy, but the reality is that the tourists dont mind the street workers (apart from the ones that are thieves) and walking street is now quite an attraction because of its sordid reputation. what the tourists dont like and the reason many dont return is the polluted beaches and sea. but this isnt an attempt to try an attract tourists, this is just about face

And considering this is now low and rainy season, things seem to be controllable. Now let high season come with a full onset of tourists and the service ladies (and ladyboys) out in their full numbers and enforcement will collapse.

PS. when I was in Pattaya a few weeks back I had the impression that tourist police outnumbered visitors.

Enforcement will collapse assuming it is the same as past enforcement. If they , the army, really seriously determined to clear the Beach they could do it in one day onward

Put 24 hour patrols along the Beach.

Having said that, " Pattaya a family destination ??. No one will make a dent in Pattaya, not the police, not the army. Pattaya is so steeped in corruption from top to bottom' involving almost everyone from police to tourism operators to the Russian mafia

Any attempt to change its current financially lucrative structure based on the sex trade, ripping off tourists and so on will be met with revolution

Edited by morrobay

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I guess some people will like this fantasy, but the reality is that the tourists dont mind the street workers (apart from the ones that are thieves) and walking street is now quite an attraction because of its sordid reputation. what the tourists dont like and the reason many dont return is the polluted beaches and sea. but this isnt an attempt to try an attract tourists, this is just about face

I can see a lot of people like your post so clearly you are not alone in your opinion but I still strongly disagree with you that tourists don't mind street walkers,, of course they do. Ok, a group of blokes out on the beer would not care but most others do, especially those with kids.

I would never dream of taking anyone down there with their kids in tow, or any older person, or my mother, or ay one else to be blunt. To me the place is a seedy hell hole only fit for dirty perverts or those seeking to pay for the services of some young lady (or guy).

Get rid of it all I say,

Then don't go there. Why would you take kids there anyway? Even without the prostitution ti's a dirty dangerous place. There are plenty of places that are family friendly in Thailand and the rest of the world. Let's not Nerf the whole world please.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can see a lot of people like your post so clearly you are not alone in your opinion but I still strongly disagree with you that tourists don't mind street walkers,, of course they do. Ok, a group of blokes out on the beer would not care but most others do, especially those with kids.

I would never dream of taking anyone down there with their kids in tow, or any older person, or my mother, or ay one else to be blunt. To me the place is a seedy hell hole only fit for dirty perverts or those seeking to pay for the services of some young lady (or guy).

Get rid of it all I say,

Then don't go there. Why would you take kids there anyway? Even without the prostitution ti's a dirty dangerous place. There are plenty of places that are family friendly in Thailand and the rest of the world. Let's not Nerf the whole world please.

Thats the un answered question : Why do people take their families to Pattaya ?? But there sure are alot of them doing just that ?

The irony here is that Purachai, Thaksin's home minister did exactly the same as this some years ago - went on a moral crusade to clean up Thailand - no sex workers, bars closed at midnight, kick out foreigners etc etc. The NCPO aren't doing anything that hasn't been tried before - several times. Things will soon revert to normal as the ordinary Thais are masters at getting around restrictive laws enacted by their rulers (elected or not)

Thank you. Yes, this is dejavu - all over again.

• Like 1

Thats the un answered question : Why do people take their families to Pattaya ?? But there sure are alot of them doing just that ?

Maybe they want to show them there still are pockets of this world almost free of bible bashers. Sadly, only almost.

Driving from North pattaya along the beach yesterday I counted around 30 girls/ladyboys waiting for customers. Not many compared with 200 a few months ago.

I haven't been there in a long time or at least since the latest renovation of the beach area. Have they not removed a lot of the shaded areas where the hookers used to sit loitering waiting for customers? It's now not very comfortable standing in the hot sun, waiting for customers.

The purpose of removing shaded areas and lounging areas on beach road was probably to discourage loitering and solicitation by prostitutes.

This conjure up memories how Cardinal Sin and the mayor of Manila cleaned up Eremite

and the Malate districts of all the hundreds of bars there in one fell swoop. that have resulted in massive

unemployment and significant drop in tourists to manila..

The same going to happened here, massive drop in tourism and even bigger drop in real estate

and hotel occupancy rates, let see if the new PM have big enough balls to take the Pattaya's

godfathers on.....

Cardinal Sin has to be the best name ever for a priest!

• Like 1

Pattaya is not the closest beach to Bangkok. You have never experienced Bang Saen on a weekend. Bedlam

Edited by bangsaenguy

Isaans economy will take a big dive!

I'm very interested to know why? Surely not based on the widely held but erroneous belief that the majority of street girls come from Isaan (statistics please). Poverty may be widespread in Isaan but the morals appear to be a lot higher than the majority of Thailand.

You're kidding right? (Unless you are differentiating "street girls" from "bar girls", but if you are using the morality argument, that difference would make little sense.)

"Class, Status, Geographic Origins, and NGO's

Although the class, status, and geographic origins of the women and men participating in the sexual services industry greatly vary, multiple studies provide fairly accurate information about these people. Most studies show that women start working in the sex industry, because they come from extremely poor, large families with rural backgrounds..."

"Studies also show that the women coming from these poor, rural families are mainly from the north and northeast of Thailand. A second study states that “Thai teenage girls and women choose to be in the business of prostitution in Thailand, specifically in the infamous sex trade in Bangkok…and come from the North of Thailand to make money in order to support themselves and sometimes to support their families” (Arnold and Bertone 2002: 33).

http://www.unc.edu/~pcvelich/bangkok/net1024.htm

Edited by moto77

“I told [the police officers] that the number [of arrests] this year has to be more than last year,” said Pol Col Suppatee, adding he was aiming to totally eradicate street prostitution. “This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town." Pffffffffffffffffft happiness huh? Who's going to be happy?

................"“This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town.".......................

Rubbish. Nobody believes that, except maybe a born-again God botherer who comes to Thailand to try and save these "poor young girls" from a life of prostitution.

The only reason he would make such a stupid and outlandish statement would be if he was told to do so.

God botherer or not, I hope someone does save those poor young girls from a life of prostitution.

Wake up fella,, no one with an ounce of humanity could possibly want to see the streets paved with prostitutes!

“I told [the police officers] that the number [of arrests] this year has to be more than last year,” said Pol Col Suppatee, adding he was aiming to totally eradicate street prostitution. “This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town." Pffffffffffffffffft happiness huh? Who's going to be happy?

................"“This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town.".......................

Rubbish. Nobody believes that, except maybe a born-again God botherer who comes to Thailand to try and save these "poor young girls" from a life of prostitution.

The only reason he would make such a stupid and outlandish statement would be if he was told to do so.

God botherer or not, I hope someone does save those poor young girls from a life of prostitution.

Wake up fella,, no one with an ounce of humanity could possibly want to see the streets paved with prostitutes!

I hope someone does save those poor young girls from an impoverished life dictated by self-appointed do-gooders.

Silly exaggeration--"streets paved with prostitutes"--merely indicates an inability to discuss logically and rationally,

I told [the police officers] that the number [of arrests] this year has to be more than last year, said Pol Col Suppatee, adding he was aiming to totally eradicate street prostitution. This is my version of returning happiness to Pattaya town.

I think the police will easily reach their goal of more arrests as compared with last year. Round up 50 sex workers a day, fine them 200 baht each, release them back into the Pattaya jungle. Then repeat. 365 X 50 = 18,250 annual arrests...

Catch and release; it works.

I like the new can do, positive attitude toward problem solving smile.png

• Like 1

I hope someone does save those poor young girls from an impoverished life dictated by self-appointed do-gooders.

Silly exaggeration--"streets paved with prostitutes"--merely indicates an inability to discuss logically and rationally,

While you are at it, please save one for me.

Where are all the "yea please get rid of the sin" commenters? As if they are these doe eyed foreigners who moved there and saw the nice beach and great food. Bought a condo and got settled in before (GASP!) they realized there is some serious sinning going on there and now gotta run for the fainting couch clutching their pearls over it.

post-157278-0-43810300-1410140585_thumb.

Edited by lapd

The reality is an asteroid could be tracked by NASA and coordinates confirmed it would obliterate Pattaya and this vice industry still running until the sky is a blaze with its approach.

No one can see Thais flushing a billion baht industry down their toilet in moral righteous cleansing.

It's ludicrous to even suggest these people are serious .

Blaming westerners is just a xenophobic exercise .

This city is a manifestation of Thais seriously wanting to harness the sin for profit.

I would gladly take sinful bets that this little exercise is more to do with self indulgences of propaganda media than anything to do with reality.

The hard cold truth is though they wish they were pure and righteous and westerners to blame for their females prostituting themselves in such environments , it's actually their greed that fuels the industry

Well said.thumbsup.gif MS>

If all the sex goes away, a lot of reasons that a lot of people to go to Pattaya would go away. The beach is filthy. The water is not fit to swim in. The malls exist in every country. The road traffic has gotten really bad. The falang food might stay if there is enough business. I personally love and eat a lot of German food when I visit.