Corruption and ethics with Thai Customs

Sabaisabai1

I am shipping a container of personal effects to Thailand next month. While dealing with my Thai import agent on the business side of my company for imports, I met the Thai Customs officer who works in the office of my agent.

In very clear terms, I was asked to pay 5000 Baht under the table and my personal container would not be opened, provided I pay 200,000 baht in "declared effects". Actual taxes should be about 2 million baht.

So in effect, this Customs agent will sacrifice 1.8 million baht in taxes owing to the country so that he can personally receive an extra 5000 baht.

The issue I have is that if the government was to rationalize import taxes (i.e. 50% duty on a piano), then many of these issues would resolve themselves.

But on the other hand, how can I complain about corruption and ethics here when I am contributing by undeclaring my import? When you multiply my situation by the thousands of containers arriving here every day, the magnitude of this corruption in massive, not to mention the huge loss of tax revenues.

I'm not saying I have the answer but just trying to illustrate why corruption is so difficult to erase in Thailand.

Absurd import tariffs coupled with low salaries and a patronage system between agents and officers.

personal effects are free of duty. But that might be a hasle

Piano is 10 % not 50 %

er no they are not, only under certain circumstances can they be imported tax free, such as coming to work in Thailand legally or a Thai who has spent time out of the country living somewhere else, they can import the personal effects duty free.

Piano is 10 % not 50 %

er no they are not, only under certain circumstances can they be imported tax free, such as coming to work in Thailand legally or a Thai who has spent time out of the country living somewhere else, they can import the personal effects duty free.

yes, as I say "that might be a hassle".

And still the piano is 10 %

So do you have to pay 5,000 baht or 200,000?

His options are 205000 (200 000 tax plus 5000 incentive for customs officer to calculate the tax at that rate) or be principled and pay 2 mill.

I think the best option would be to find a different agent and pay the real amount, neither the inflated nor the bribe.....See piano 10 % not 50%

So do you have to pay 5,000 baht or 200,000?

His options are 205000 (200 000 tax plus 5000 incentive for customs officer to calculate the tax at that rate) or be principled and pay 2 mill.

I've cleared thousands if shipments into Thailand and never come close to 200k. Maybe once, but that was a caravan

Piano is 10 % not 50 %

Not so fast, or perhaps Thai Customs did not get the word yet.

In July I lost my eye glasses in NYC. They were found and my son mailed them to me here in BKK.

The post office sent a notice that I had to pay import duty.

I gathered all my evidence that the glasses were lost, then found and were simply being returned to me as a 'used personal medical item'.

I filled out the paper work and requested a 'waiver of the duty fee'.

The post office said it would take about 14 days to be resolved.

Yesterday it was one month and my wife called the customs department. They told her there is a queue and hung up on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand