'Cloud' concerns after celebrity picture leaks

webfact

'Cloud' concerns after celebrity picture leaks

(BBC) Experts have raised concerns over the security of "cloud" storage sites following the leak of intimate pictures of celebrities.

It is understood some of the images were obtained from services such as Apple iCloud that back up content from devices on to the internet.

Apple is understood to be looking into the issue.

One expert said that private data "becomes much more difficult to control" when using cloud services.

"It is important for celebrities and the general public to remember that images and data no longer just reside on the device that captured it," said Ken Westin, security analyst at Tripwire.

"Although many cloud providers may encrypt the data communications between the device and the cloud, it does not mean that the image and data is encrypted when the data is at rest.

"If you can view the image in the cloud service, so can a hacker."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29011850

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-02

Are there still dreamers out there who belive in "Secure Data Storage?"cheesy.gif "The Cloud" - the ultimate dream of all intelligence services in the world, and the people present all their personal information to them, voluntarily, and in masses...

It's not the intelligence services I'd be worried about.

• Like 2

hardware storage is cheap and plenty why would anyone feel the need to store anything somewhere else were privacy is obviously not a concern, people need to really think about keeping their data private and under their own control

We are slowly but surely entering a world were everyone should be concerned about what google facebook etc are trying to do with their personal information - do a little research and discover how many ways you are being profiled - it really needs to stop or at least people need to given the choice to completely opt out in a transparent and easy to understand format, also might be worth looking into web browser cookies - you will be shocked

also forums that offer smartphone apps (not pointing a finger at TVF) - that id you post under is no longer protected, your smartphone knows more about you than you think and the info can be made available to the app owner

Edited by smedly

EVERYONE knows there are risks with using cloud services and for that matter, ANYTHING on the internet.... we cannot live our lives without risk however... driving is more dangerous but it doesn't stop us!

for most driving something is a necessity and most if not all people understand exactly what the risks are

using a cloud service for personal data is not a necessity and most people do not know or understand what they are getting into

massive difference

• Like 2

I recommend everybody to stay away from the cloud services - at least when data are concerned that you would not like to be published in a newspaper or in TV

Not only privacy of data is a concern, safety and availability is, too

you are dependent from the cloud

you could lose your data by hackers, by technical issues or by bancruptcy of the provider

or by intention (ill or otherwise) of the provider

and - are you sure you can trust the provider?

Microsoft e.g. terminated some accounts without further notice because the data did not match their moral philosophy - that means THEY LOOK INTO YOUR DATA

Are there still dreamers out there who belive in "Secure Data Storage?"cheesy.gif "The Cloud" - the ultimate dream of all intelligence services in the world, and the people present all their personal information to them, voluntarily, and in masses...

Not me. Never have and never will.

A 3 terabyte external hard drive costs between THB 2,000 and THB 2,500 and that's more than enough space to keep all my files secure.

What's more, for most of the time, my external hard drive is not even hooked up to my computer (only when I'm copying items to it) so the vast majority of my files are not even accessible to potential hackers.

What baffles me is why anyone would put their more intimate stuff on a Cloud...?!

• Like 1

I think the focus really should be on "iCloud", since the finger is being pointed heavily in that direction.

Apparently they didn't have protection against brute force password attacks. What a howler.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/01/icloud-bug-fixed_n_5748642.html

Added:

Harsher punishments likely await the person responsible for leaking the pictures — in 2012, a man was sentenced to 10 years in prison for hacking the private email accounts of celebrities including Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johansson.

Fancy, that amount of jail time for a public service.
  • thumbsup.gif
Edited by Chicog

Some threads not thailand related are closed and some others are open by admin ? We really are on the way to North Korea, even on this forum...

This is the World News Section. North Korea can, and often is discussed in this forum.

f e are so vain and shocked why would they put nude pictures of themselves on any computer or was I for showing potential new boyfriends how they can preform

I believe you'll find the majority of them are iPhone photos and videos that were automagically shared with Apple's "iCloud".

They were then sat there for as long as it took determined hackers to throw thousands of password guesses at the account (educated or otherwise) until they were able to log in and download them.

Sometimes it takes high-profile events to get the message out about these things. Eg, if this same thing happened to a waitress in Pennsylvania it would definitely not be getting this much attention. If the stuff Snowden revealed came from a former gov't employee in Delaware it probably wouldn't have been reported in anything other than a few muckraker websites.

There is a certain mobile operating system that has terrible security, and I'm waiting for the high-profile catastrophe that will 'stun' everyone.

Remember how movie stars etc used to be extremely distant from us average slobs? Well, now all are accessible via twitter etc. It's only a matter of time before someone hooks up with a tragedy that will be 'a revelation to all' and be the subject of countless editorials. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.