About Maesai

jetzie

i have been searchng around , most guides actually stop at chiangrai with a rough summary of maesai

is there any where we can find a relatively good guide to living and ravelling around maesai ?

trying to familiarise myself with some places so i would be so lost when i actually get there...

thankS!

i have been searchng around , most guides actually stop at chiangrai with a rough summary of maesai

is there any where we can find a relatively good guide to living and ravelling around maesai ?

trying to familiarise myself with some places so i would be so lost when i actually get there...

thankS!

hello jetzie

dont worry about getting lost in maesai,"YOU CANT"

maesai is a straight highway from chaingrai (apart from a few curves in the road) mabe 60k approx, on your way from chaingrai you will pass chaingrai airport/makro then after 30 k you will come to the town of mae chan just off the highway,stay on the highway and you will pass the turn offs for doi mae salong and then doi dtoong (both worth a visit) on the outskirts of maesai you will see tesco lotus on the left,if you want to visit chiang saen (golden triangle) you can turn off to your right near tesco (also at mae chan) approx 30-35 k, i think the bus station is here as well

you are still on the highway when you enter maesai passing the hospital, immigration department,

in the distance you can see the hills of myanmar. there are sois leading off the main road to the market, hotels etc.

just before the bridge there is a slip road to your left,if you take the slip road and keep left there are a number of guest houses etc on this road.

i would say if you stroll around maesai for 2 days and speak to the people at the guesthouse etc you will know most things about maesai and you certainly wont get lost

hope this helps

dont know about the night life etc,most farang only go there in the day time for a visa/extention stamp.

has i have posted if you stroll around the place you will know everything you want to know about maesai in a day or two

dont know about the night life etc,most farang only go there in the day time for a visa/extention stamp.

has i have posted if you stroll around the place you will know everything you want to know about maesai in a day or two

Soap described Mae Sai in a nutshell. There is nothing more to say about Maesai. At least not much. If you don't believe us, go and look for yourself.

Walk or drive into the street Soap described: Almost under the bridge to the left.

There is a plastic roof over it and a lot of shops with very nice, funny and practical things which will be broken after three days if not the first. Also a lot of interesting, exciting and extremely fascinating electrical devises with which you might electrocute yourself just by using them (these extra's are never mentioned in the manuals and even if they would: The manuals are mainly in Chinese).

After fifty meters on the right: John's Place. John speaks fluently English. Another hundred meter further, also on the right side, The Monkey House, under English supervising. Yes, of course he does speak English. Both gentlemen have an excellent knowledge about Mae Sai.

Enjoy yourself!

Limbo :o

Enjoy yourself!

great,, i had been to maesai but that was b4 and after the trip to kyaingtong,burma. didnt have much time to loiter around streets of maesai as i got a plane to catch @ chiangrai, guess i missed out most of the stuff and also the night life!

tts why right now gonna look for more info and make sure i dont miss em out next trip very soon!!!

Hmmm... not quit exepteble for me,

The place you mention Limbo is called Monkey island.

And the nightlife in Mai Sai: three bars, 1 huge discothek, and loads of massage parlours :o

For the rest Mai Sai is just a beautifull bordertown, were you can just buy anything the heart disires.

Good luck there, and say hello to Kevin from me. : :D

Hmmm... not quit exepteble for me,

The place you mention Limbo is called Monkey island.

And the nightlife in Mai Sai: three bars, 1 huge discothek, and loads of massage parlours :o

For the rest Mai Sai is just a beautifull bordertown, were you can just buy anything the heart disires.

Good luck there, and say hello to Kevin from me. : :D

hmmm who's kevin ? got me confused cuz im called Kelvin . ahahhah

Jetzie,

There are some great houses of ill repute there. I can't tell you where, but have some Myanmar girls there, that will treat you right, but protect yourself. You can buy cheap anything out of China.

Good luck, and give us a trip report. :o

MJ

Entirely depends on who you are and what you want.

There's lots of sing-a-song restaurants just outside of town with pretty entertaining girls

(take that however you want) - but you won't last long without at least some Thai. Tai Yai is better, Burmese OK, can make do with dialects of Chinese even. Or tribal languages!

Deep into the swamp-pit of lowland eastern MaeSai is a fantastic house of a jade dealer, with huge plastered cement mythological statues. See if you can find that and not get lost.

Village Handicrafts is one of the north's premier ethnographic art shops, and its owners great folk.

There's a meditation center just west of the bridge area - somewhere (I haven't seen it, but people have asked me to guide them to it then written back how nice and photogenic it is).

Thaam Luang (cave) and Sleeping Lady (phayanak) lagoon are wonderful; not so far away as the monkey and fish caves, but still several kilometers - worth a whole day right there

Lots of gem markets, jade stands, cloth merchants, Chinese temples, and massage shops.

Never were any good bars that I knew of - Farang dirnk in the area of Monkey Island.

there's pet shops and pets for sale at the interesting outdoor market that used to be east of the bridge and hotel area, just a couple blocks south (haven't been there for years)

wonder if there's anything where Fun Fun Fun used to be - in the day there's a pretty good Akha handicrafts shop there

West of the Hwy near where there's a sign for Chad's G.H. there's a cool restaurant with lots of old wood carving around - I got a couple old Akha yokes - neck harnesses - carved up with incredible geometric designs. Never seen the same elsewhere. There are several guest-houses I've never checked out, and surely many have people with some English and a desire to please and be of some kind of service (not clear what...)

Then, of course, there's Karaoke in Tachilek! (for the brave only)

Joel wrote:

There's a meditation center just west of the bridge area - somewhere (I haven't seen it, but people have asked me to guide them to it then written back how nice and photogenic it is). :o

You think corrupt cops, Chinese 'businessmen' and officers of small armies don't party?

Fun, Fun may be gone, but I bet the country pub next door isn't.

And, of course, Massage, massage, massage!

Most of the night life, to my limited experience (not in nite life, but in that north of our provincial capital city), is about as lively as that of Mae Jan - meaning sedate, but can be fun - depending on your attitude, who you are and how you communicate.

I hear some people have paid B80,000/night for the priviledge of staying at Chiang Saen (Ban Sop Ruak's?) Four Seasons Resort and its wonderful private band/dancing in the jungle form of nite life...

• 5 months later...

Have used the search function on this forum "Accommodations Mai Sai" with on luck.

Can anyone recommend a place they have stayed in Mai Sai recently?

Rather than a resort, would be interested in quaint/interesting guesthouses.

Perhaps with a website and/or telephone number.

However, any information appreciated.

where? never seen a single one, share the dirty names with us :D

Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear :D

PS. Coconut, just before or almost under the bridge to Tachilek to the left. You take the street with all the little shops and a roof above it.

After seventy meters you will find Uncle John's at your right. A little bit further at your left you will find three small cheap guesthouses.

About twohundred meter further in the street you find Monkey House at your right. They have rooms as well.