A Couple Of Irritating Problems....

the scouser

Sorry to trouble the computer experts again, but I've got some minor problems which are annoying me.

I've recently had to buy a new base unit as my previous hard drive packed in. Now, when I connect my Sony Cybershot P73 camera via a USB, it is not automatically recognised as it used to be with my old PC. I have loaded the drivers (several times) but it remains undetected. I can, however, remove the memory stick from the camera and successfully insert that directly in to the relevant drive on the PC. I don't think it's a problem with the camera itself, as it connects perfectly well to my PC at work. Any thoughts?

Secondly, I periodically get error messages which read "runtime errror - do you wish to debug?" which I never used to get on my old PC. What causes these and is there a way of disabling them?

Thanks in advance.

Scouse.

Sorry to trouble the computer experts again, but I've got some minor problems which are annoying me.

It is better to give than to receive. :o

I've recently had to buy a new base unit as my previous hard drive packed in. Now, when I connect my Sony Cybershot P73 camera via a USB, it is not automatically recognised as it used to be with my old PC. I have loaded the drivers (several times) but it remains undetected. I can, however, remove the memory stick from the camera and successfully insert that directly in to the relevant drive on the PC. I don't think it's a problem with the camera itself, as it connects perfectly well to my PC at work. Any thoughts?

You need drivers for a camera. Have you installed those yet?

Secondly, I periodically get error messages which read "runtime errror - do you wish to debug?" which I never used to get on my old PC. What causes these and is there a way of disabling them?

Are those from Internet Explorer? If so, go to Tools ->Internet Options -> Disable Script debugging (Internet Explorer)is checked.

Peter

It is better to give than to receive. :D

You may care to browse the visa forum at some point :D

You need drivers for a camera. Have you installed those yet?

You may care to read my original post :o

Are those from Internet Explorer? If so, go to Tools ->Internet Options -> Disable Script debugging (Internet Explorer)is checked.

Cheers, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Scouse.

Scouse,

do you get other devices picked up immediately when you plug them into the USB port?

Go to Control Panel=>Administrative Tools=>Computer Management

Go to Device Manager (yes there are other ways of getting here)

Do you get anything under Other Devices with a Yellow Question Mark and Excamation Mark on it. Or any same yellow icons under Universal Serial Bus Controllers?

If so right click on them and hit Properties. The next page will tell you whats wrong with them. It may be a corrupted driver (didn't install properly etc). Try unistalling the driver and then run Add Hardware (control panel) this will find the device again and you can reinstall the drivers.

PS: How's the new business coming along? and are you coming down for the Thai festival in Aug?

PPS: Repost if its not this or if you're having problems (or PM me).

Chok Dee

Edited by wolf5370

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for your input.

This is what I get when I check the device manager:

Strangely, the USBs are OK, but the memory stick drive shows up an error, yet that's the one that's been working. :o

Coincidentally, as I was reading your post, Mrs Scouse was on the dog 'n' bone to Mrs Bo Jangles discussing the do in Battersea. Unfortunately, however, we can't make it. Undoubtedly, I'd be a little :D and would have to overnight in a hotel which, in turn, would involve me missing a day's work.

The business is getting there, slowly but surely.

Scouse.

Now, when I connect my Sony Cybershot P73 camera via a USB, it is not automatically recognised as it used to be with my old PC.
I assume that

1. your new PC runs on Windows XP, and so did your old PC,

2. with “not automatically recognised”, you mean that the camera does not show up in Windows Explorer, with its own drive letter.

If this is the case, there may be something wrong with the cable connection between camera and PC. If you have access to another PC (even a laptop), plug it into that computer (no installation of drivers or programs needed) and see if it shows up in Windows Explorer. If it does not, it strengthens the suspicion of a problem with the cable.

---------------

Maestro

In my instruction booklet for my camera it says something along the lines of it should work when you plug it in automatically, if not do this that and the other ect... Maybe you have to put some software on your PC that came with your camera?

Other than that, I'd say get a Mac :o

Some USB devices, including cameas, seem to require that the drivers must be installed before the camera is plugged in.

Did you follow the installation manual ?

In any case, you could uninstall the drivers and re-install them, and only then connect the camera.

Check on the camera manufacturer web site to see if there is a later version of the sw available.

In your upgrade you may have charged OS to Windows XP and need the later version.