Help needed - pregnant visa over-stayer fearful of going to UK hospital regarding her unborn child.

I have a pregnant friend who is here in the UK on an expired tourist visa - she is staying with her partner, a UK resident. She is close to her due date and is fearful of being arrested/deported when contacting the health service.

I'm aware that she cannot change her status within the UK but was hoping for some advice on her rights in this situation and if there are special circumstances visa-wise for such a case?

Is anyone aware of any entities in the UK that could help support her?

Many thanks

Edited by xieng

Not only could she risk being removed from the UK as an overstayer, she and her partner could also be presented with a hefty bill for any treatment she receives from the NHS!

But for the sake of her health and that of her unborn child, she must seek medical aid; you say she is close to her due date; has she not seen a doctor or similar at all during her pregnancy?

I can't think of any organisations off hand, and can only suggest she and her partner speak to their local Citizens Advice Bureau as soon as possible; they may be able to advise.

I struggle to be sympathetic because this behaviour triggers responses from government that has made life so much harder and expensive for those trying to bring family into the UK by the correct route.

She will be treated and given a bill that may or may not be paid (depending on the willingness and income of the couple).

Nobody is going to get deported if the health of mother or child is likely to be adversely compromised. If the person pays the bill, travels home and applies properly (and meets the requirements) then a settlement visa for a spouse or long-term partner may go through despite an overstay.

Citizens Advice have few immigration experts in the UK so contacting a solicitor experienced in immigration cases would be a good idea but would be pricey.

• Like 1

Call me cold hearted and stick pins in a weegee doll of me ... I have little sympathy.

She can fly up to very close to her due date.

Don't expect help, don't expect welfare.

Don't 'play' the system ... but work within the system.

Dave, just curious, what is a weegee doll ?

(serious question by the way)

My opinion is that it is selfish <edit> like this woman that makes it really hard for the genuine folks who follow the law, deport the selfish prat and ban her as far as I am concerned.

Edited by theoldgit
Expletive removed

Call me cold hearted and stick pins in a weegee doll of me ... I have little sympathy.

She can fly up to very close to her due date.

Don't expect help, don't expect welfare.

Don't 'play' the system ... but work within the system.

Dave, just curious, what is a weegee doll ?

(serious question by the way)

My opinion is that it is selfish <edit> like this woman that makes it really hard for the genuine folks who follow the law, deport the selfish prat and ban her as far as I am concerned.

Mate ... I've probably got the spelling wrong ... facepalm.gif

Let's go for another name ... Voodoo Doll

502c7505608481510f7c927f0f8a11f8.jpg

Yes she will be treated but will recieve a bill of around £1500 assuming no complications, thought the £1500 might just be for the birth, i am not sure if a doctor would inform immigration though, as suggested try citizens advice

LOL....that is insanely cheap! I cannot even imagine how much it would be in my country (USA).

An OISC advisor would have to be Level 2 or 3 to deal with an overstay case but may still be less expensive than an immigration solicitor. It is important to ensure the advisor is allowed to advise on overstay issues.

We did not find much difference between the cost of a Level 2 advisor and an immigration solicitor when we looked a few years ago. Citizens Advice did not have anyone registered for miles and even where it was available was Level 1 advice only!

Sadly from what I have seen the quality of advisors (including solicitors) is variable. We were lucky and struck gold with a brilliant solicitor! No idea where she works now though!

I know someone that did the same thing, only he managed to get her onto the NHS. I tried to warn him that he will get a big bill, but he has all the answers. She's been here over a year now and had the kid. I don't know how it will end up.

• 4 years later...
On 9/2/2014 at 9:49 PM, LotusBoy said:

This is TV mate, not miricals r us......what do you expect?

Also, why wait until she's almost due to start asking some questions?

You should have looked at this matter months ago and taken some appropriate action, nothing more than common sense.

Just now, scorecard said:

Also, why wait until she's almost due to start asking some questions?

You should have looked at this matter months ago and taken some appropriate action, nothing more than common sense.

Yes, its always better to do things promptly , in good time .

(Like, not waiting 5 years to reply to a post !!!!!!!!!!)

• Like 1