how much calories are used in a long diet

h90

After a loosing roughly 20 kg, I gained some in the attempt to build muscle (but regained fat), now reducing again.

Now I am a bit stuck on 67 kg, but that isn't the problem. I just wonder after a longer diet with the body optimizing how little energy does the body use?

Anyone read some information. For me it seems I eat far less than before and still keep my weight.

(I am not looking for advice....I know if you don't loose weight you eat too much....eat less problem solved. Just looking for some data out of curiosity )

You are weighing less.. so its logical you will need less to stay on weight.

There is no real guide besides checking your calories and checking if you gain or not.. if you not then your on the right amount.

yes of course, just I find it fascinating on how little food I can live.....

There is no real guide besides checking your calories and checking if you gain or not.. if you not then your on the right amount.

As long as your not hungry all the time its not a bad thing.

Beware of eating too little.

If you do your metabolism shuts down to save energy.

Tell what you eat and drink.

Liquid carbs will rapidly cause you to release insulin and whilst you have insulin in your blood, all calories, healthy and bad will be stored as fat to bring your high blood sugar levels down.

Years ago, my Mum gained weight by eating almost nothing!

I now believe that after years of failed dieting to lose weight, she had metabolic syndrome.

Muscle is good, it burns calories just by having it and increases your glycogen storage capacity which means that what could become a sugar spike may be stored as glycogen so not causing the release of insulin so no storage as fat.

Do gentle exercise like a good long walk or go bananas and do some HIIT!

Don't worry about weight, measure your fat, the old pinch an inch trick.

When I allow my fat to increase due to over indulgence, my blood pressure also increases.

Then I try to reduce carb intake, drop the fat and BP returns to more or less normal.

For the last two years I have really got lazy and do very little exercise.

Weight stays about the same but I have lost muscle and gained fat.

I am now taking the low carb steps to correct this.

I do some light weight work to get strong enough to do proper training and build muscle again.

Good luck in staying in control.

Liquid carbs will rapidly cause you to release insulin and whilst you have insulin in your blood, all calories, healthy and bad will be stored as fat to bring your high blood sugar levels down.

I now believe that after years of failed dieting to lose weight, she had metabolic syndrome.

Muscle is good, it burns calories just by having it and increases your glycogen storage capacity which means that what could become a sugar spike may be stored as glycogen so not causing the release of insulin so no storage as fat.

When I allow my fat to increase due to over indulgence, my blood pressure also increases.

Then I try to reduce carb intake, drop the fat and BP returns to more or less normal.

I do some light weight work to get strong enough to do proper training and build muscle again.

I really hate the fact that people like m (muscular people) cant measure their fat good. The scales that are in use are useless for us because the tables are based on joe average (the ones that work with electricity). I do have a fat caliper (pinch thing) but even that takes a lot of practice to get right. I never feel quite right doing it.

Unfortunately I can't eat that much without gaining weight but that has always been this way. But in general if i mind what i eat I wont get hungry and wont get fatter.

Nice post almost all of it I know already still things stay hard. Soon ill be back in Thailand and can exercise good again and control my food better. Its hard here in the Netherlands because its holliday mode and lots of diners in restaurants. Thankfully I just bike a lot.

• Like 1

I am feeling active and have power, but I easily feel cold (in Thailand and I am usually very cold resistant).

Yes I know we tend to make the mistake to ignore any liquid calories....both in sweet drinks (which I don't drink) and in fat soups.

I am currently training like a mad-man. Feeling hungry all the time, but keeping the same weight. But well I noticed that my belt got loose and I need 1 hole smaller, which is now starting to be a bit on the loose side again.....So it seems I gain some muscle. (or they store more water).

I am well on track, but when I compare what I ate before without any exercise and only gained weight very slow and now with exercising 5 days a week it is kind of fascinating.

Good luck on your exercise, it is pretty fast to ramp up again. Just start with light weight that you could move 20 times, but you do it only 10 times for 1 set. If you don't get any pain on the next day. Increase to 2 x 10 and than 3 x 10. Than start to increase weight.

With that you are in a full training again in 2-3 weeks and avoid to overdo it that badly that you have to stop for a couple of days.

Important: eat enough protein....else you won't improve or even loose muscles.

• Like 1

I really hate the fact that people like m (muscular people) cant measure their fat good. The scales that are in use are useless for us because the tables are based on joe average (the ones that work with electricity). I do have a fat caliper (pinch thing) but even that takes a lot of practice to get right. I never feel quite right doing it.

Unfortunately I can't eat that much without gaining weight but that has always been this way. But in general if i mind what i eat I wont get hungry and wont get fatter.

Nice post almost all of it I know already still things stay hard. Soon ill be back in Thailand and can exercise good again and control my food better. Its hard here in the Netherlands because its holliday mode and lots of diners in restaurants. Thankfully I just bike a lot.

Thanks Rob.

I don't much like when someone beats me down with some supposed "Science" that I don't bother to mention.

We can too easily get bogged down in the detail and miss the big picture.

We just had some friends from Copenhagen over for a ten day holiday here with us in Spain, gained 1-2Kg of fat BAH!

I am feeling active and have power, but I easily feel cold (in Thailand and I am usually very cold resistant).

Yes I know we tend to make the mistake to ignore any liquid calories....both in sweet drinks (which I don't drink) and in fat soups.

I am currently training like a mad-man. Feeling hungry all the time, but keeping the same weight. But well I noticed that my belt got loose and I need 1 hole smaller, which is now starting to be a bit on the loose side again.....So it seems I gain some muscle. (or they store more water).

I am well on track, but when I compare what I ate before without any exercise and only gained weight very slow and now with exercising 5 days a week it is kind of fascinating.

Good luck on your exercise, it is pretty fast to ramp up again. Just start with light weight that you could move 20 times, but you do it only 10 times for 1 set. If you don't get any pain on the next day. Increase to 2 x 10 and than 3 x 10. Than start to increase weight.

With that you are in a full training again in 2-3 weeks and avoid to overdo it that badly that you have to stop for a couple of days.

Thanks H90, the workout plan you mention is exactly what I am doing.

At the grand age of 72 I have to take special care LOL

I like to eat nuts, avocado, coconut oil, eggs, bacon, chicken and tons of veg.

I realise that fruit can cause a sugar spike in me so I try to eat less fruit.

Hard though when wifey brings in a plate full of lovely fresh fruit - it would be rude not to eat it LOL

Edited by laislica

Cut out Bread,Rice ,Pasta ,Noodles and sugar. You can eat a couple of slices of good bread , that German black stuff

Eat more Protein and vegetables , eggs ,cheese

You'll find if you cut out carbs you'll be drinking loads and pissing loads , Carbs and sugar intake make you retain water about 5 litres of it

Hard though when wifey brings in a plate full of lovely fresh fruit - it would be rude not to eat it LOL

Well the fruits also brings benefits in form of vitamins, so unless you eat too much of the most sweet one I wouldn't worry.

At 72 I would also check on the Testosterone level. As higher it is as better the workouts will be :-)

Well the fruits also brings benefits in form of vitamins, so unless you eat too much of the most sweet one I wouldn't worry.

At 72 I would also check on the Testosterone level. As higher it is as better the workouts will be :-)

I don't think fruits are bad in normal doses and not the most sweet ones. Fruit juices that is an other story, you can consume a load of oranges in just a few sips, much harder to really eat them with all the fiber.

I am usually low carb but dont worry too much about the carbs in fruits, consuming complete water melons and only sweet fruits that might get me worried. But some bodies handle that better as others plus it cant be worse as drinking coca cola and stuff.

One guy, a scientist and author I'm reading about, went on a three month diet, and he was losing weight on 2000 to 2200 calories a day. He summed up his diet in one sentence:

"Eat small portions, no junk food, and make sure that 50 percent of what goes in your mouth is a real fruit or vegetable."

Long term, the results from scientific studies are pretty dismal. Only about 5 percent of people who go on a diet manage to keep the weight off.

From what I'm reading, you'd have to have a lot of willpower to do it for a lifetime.

Two nutrition scientists interviewed said when they eat out, they can only order from the started menu. One claimed he hasn't ordered an entree for years. The woman scientist can only eat between 1600 to 1700 calories a day to maintain her current weight. She's been doing this for over ten years, ever since she lost 75 pounds. She said, "it's a constant battle". She's one of the 5 percent long term who have managed to lose the weight and keep it off.

There's more, but it's all pretty depressing stuff. All the above from the book "The Cure For Everything!", by Timothy Caulfield.

One guy, a scientist and author I'm reading about, went on a three month diet, and he was losing weight on 2000 to 2200 calories a day. He summed up his diet in one sentence:

"Eat small portions, no junk food, and make sure that 50 percent of what goes in your mouth is a real fruit or vegetable."

Long term, the results from scientific studies are pretty dismal. Only about 5 percent of people who go on a diet manage to keep the weight off.

From what I'm reading, you'd have to have a lot of willpower to do it for a lifetime.

Two nutrition scientists interviewed said when they eat out, they can only order from the started menu. One claimed he hasn't ordered an entree for years. The woman scientist can only eat between 1600 to 1700 calories a day to maintain her current weight. She's been doing this for over ten years, ever since she lost 75 pounds. She said, "it's a constant battle". She's one of the 5 percent long term who have managed to lose the weight and keep it off.

There's more, but it's all pretty depressing stuff. All the above from the book "The Cure For Everything!", by Timothy Caulfield.

Watch Cereal Killers Don't Fear Fat

Or read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taube

It's the addictive carbs that create the cravings that make it almost impossible you the body to overcome.

Good luck

Well these nutrition scientists obviously can't apply their science on themself. Beside that in my country the study for nutrition science is very poor....both the teachers and the students are mostly weirdos and there is not much biochemical knowledge.

If it is a constant battle you make something wrong. You must find some system which you follow every day.

For example for me:

Morning 8-9 AM: On days I do exercises: Musli with non fat milk and protein powder + tea

If no exercise: nothing....if hungry maybe 1 boiled egg

11-12 AM Exercise, after wards a protein shake...which I sometimes drop if the breakfast is still in my stomach

1 PM 3 fried eggs, or some pork or a beef or chicken soup from the Muslim shop.

3 PM some mulinexed vegetables

8 PM some meat

Sometimes I drink a bottle of red wine or have business dinner where I eat little but drink a lot of beer. Than I drop the breakfast.

There is no battle....it is like that every day without exceptions. In the very rare events of some business dinners.....don't worry the body can't switch into full fat store mode within hours....it need days.

There is no way you can fill your stomach full with high calorie food all the time. You must accept that....No need for a battle.

Well these nutrition scientists obviously can't apply their science on themself. Beside that in my country the study for nutrition science is very poor....both the teachers and the students are mostly weirdos and there is not much biochemical knowledge.

If it is a constant battle you make something wrong. You must find some system which you follow every day.

For example for me:

Morning 8-9 AM: On days I do exercises: Musli with non fat milk and protein powder + tea

11-12 AM Exercise, after wards a protein shake...which I sometimes drop if the breakfast is still in my stomach

8 PM some meat

Sometimes I drink a bottle of red wine or have business dinner where I eat little but drink a lot of beer. Than I drop the breakfast.

There is no battle....it is like that every day without exceptions. In the very rare events of some business dinners.....don't worry the body can't switch into full fat store mode within hours....it need days.

There is no way you can fill your stomach full with high calorie food all the time. You must accept that....No need for a battle.

It is more about what you want out of life if you live to eat like some people then it is a battle. If you don't rate food that high its not. For me I need to be careful and that means not eating all the nice but bad things and eating more healthy. Sure it would be nice to gorge myself on anything and stay slim. That is however not in the cards for me and most other people.

My mom wants to loose weight and still drink lots of wine and eat what she wants.. told her stop drinking so much wine (multiple glasses at a sitting but not every day she could drink a whole bottle)

Dad on the other hand decided to cut some foods out and has the discipline to do so and lost 8 kg so far and of course he bikes like crazy.

People keep saying willpower is no match for cravings.. that is true.. but you can combat them by eating healthier (but yes that means cutting things out).

If you want to drink a lot of alcohol eat what you want and stay thin.. yes then its a battle.

For example for me:

8 PM some meat

It is more about what you want out of life if you live to eat like some people then it is a battle. If you don't rate food that high its not. For me I need to be careful and that means not eating all the nice but bad things and eating more healthy. Sure it would be nice to gorge myself on anything and stay slim. That is however not in the cards for me and most other people.

My mom wants to loose weight and still drink lots of wine and eat what she wants.. told her stop drinking so much wine (multiple glasses at a sitting but not every day she could drink a whole bottle)

Dad on the other hand decided to cut some foods out and has the discipline to do so and lost 8 kg so far and of course he bikes like crazy.

People keep saying willpower is no match for cravings.. that is true.. but you can combat them by eating healthier (but yes that means cutting things out).

If you want to drink a lot of alcohol eat what you want and stay thin.. yes then its a battle.

yes, if you want to eat like a Sumo wrestler and look like a marathon runner you'll have a problem.

The solution to the battle is: just don't eat such food. If you don't eat any sweet things at all anymore there is no battle if you can eat 1 or 2 pcs of chocolate.....it is just banned. Of course you don't buy any and you have non at home.

The battle is only if you want to live the same as before but slimmer.

yes, if you want to eat like a Sumo wrestler and look like a marathon runner you'll have a problem.

The solution to the battle is: just don't eat such food. If you don't eat any sweet things at all anymore there is no battle if you can eat 1 or 2 pcs of chocolate.....it is just banned. Of course you don't buy any and you have non at home.

Yes the important part is dont buy the stuff, i know that chocolate is my problem and so are some other foods. I just dont buy them that is my secret. Just went shopping at the market for fruits and veggies that is the basis add some eggs and meat and I am eating healthy.

I do have some Belgian chocolate in my fridge now i took from Holland when i came back but its not much. Except there are 7 other boxes of chocolate there (not for me but gifts for friends of my gf) i hope she gives them away soon. Temptation could get real high at a weak moment. Yesterday went out eating with friends.. just had salmon and some laab (no rice no sugar in it) and veggies that were available there. Just try to like the green stuff a bit its hard but it helps.

For motivation just look around at the obese people and think do you want to live like that or not. If you are ok with it then pig out its your body if not eat better and make choices.

Yes the important part is dont buy the stuff, i know that chocolate is my problem and so are some other foods. I just dont buy them that is my secret. Just went shopping at the market for fruits and veggies that is the basis add some eggs and meat and I am eating healthy.

I do have some Belgian chocolate in my fridge now i took from Holland when i came back but its not much. Except there are 7 other boxes of chocolate there (not for me but gifts for friends of my gf) i hope she gives them away soon. Temptation could get real high at a weak moment. Yesterday went out eating with friends.. just had salmon and some laab (no rice no sugar in it) and veggies that were available there. Just try to like the green stuff a bit its hard but it helps.

For motivation just look around at the obese people and think do you want to live like that or not. If you are ok with it then pig out its your body if not eat better and make choices.

My mother said once.....when she sees that fat women eat cake like they are pigs, all her craving for cake is gone. Now she only need to imagine them.....

The main point is to don't see it as food anymore.

Example...both we were hungry, a smell from barbecued pork entered the car. I got even more hungry....the Muslim driver not, for him it was disgusting smell.....

For me it would have been the same if the barbecue a cat or dog, while others would get hungry.

So the point is to get your mind to not see some things as suitable food anymore.....Than you don't need to battle it anymore.....

The problem is people don't want to change themself....they only want to get slim.

Wine by the way isn't a problem. Tell your mother if she likes to drink a bottle on the evening (my guess 500 calorie) she must either drop the breakfast or the dinner in exchange. (if dropping the dinner the wine works better and if she hangs in the morning she can drop the breakfast as well :-))))

Problem is the wine additional.....+ that some people tend to eat more when drinking.

• 4 weeks later...

As drinking is an integral part of most meals, something must be said about today's drinking habits. Huge amounts of tea and coffee are consumed in the West and consumption is on the increase [as are many of the associated ills]. Coffee, tea and many soft drinks are stimulating drinks because of their caffeine content. But caffeine is a poison (the lethal dose is around 10 grams), and the "lift" it gives, lessening fatigue and brightening thoughts, is very temporary and far outweighed by its long-term side effects.

As drinking is an integral part of most meals, something must be said about today's drinking habits. Huge amounts of tea and coffee are consumed in the West and consumption is on the increase [as are many of the associated ills]. Coffee, tea and many soft drinks are stimulating drinks because of their caffeine content. But caffeine is a poison (the lethal dose is around 10 grams), and the "lift" it gives, lessening fatigue and brightening thoughts, is very temporary and far outweighed by its long-term side effects.

What are the dramatic long-term side effects of drinking tea?

raptillian:

After a loosing roughly 20 kg, I gained some in the attempt to build muscle (but regained fat), now reducing again.
This is called a "dirty bulk." Experience BBers can do this, because they can cut efficiently.
Your post questions is related to your maintenance or caloric deficit caloric intake - even though you mention how much energy you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

You are eating high fat food

No surprise you can"t eat much without gaining.

Well no....Maybe more than you, but still low. Most products I use a low fat to fat free. Beside eggs. But well at low carbs, you can't eat only protein so automatically it get a bit more fat.

Eating much isn't my goal. I am just surprised how some people eat: Full breakfast, lunch, dinner. Between something small and some coke and not gaining or just slowly. While I live from almost nothing and while not gaining I am not loosing or just very slow.

So my body optimized into converting very efficient. Of course age 43 isn't the same as 20.

Well no....Maybe more than you, but still low. Most products I use a low fat to fat free. Beside eggs. But well at low carbs, you can't eat only protein so automatically it get a bit more fat.

Eating much isn't my goal. I am just surprised how some people eat: Full breakfast, lunch, dinner. Between something small and some coke and not gaining or just slowly. While I live from almost nothing and while not gaining I am not loosing or just very slow.

So my body optimized into converting very efficient. Of course age 43 isn't the same as 20.

If you eat too little your clever body will do its best to stop you expending energy, it shuts down!

In this state it is also easy to gain fat because your body thinks you are starving.

Depending on your size, there is a minimum amount of calories needed to keep your metabolic rate up at the right level.

Say about 2,000 for men.

With this and some occasional high intensity exercise, you can firm up muscle and lose fat.

Google is your friend......

Start asking it questions.

A man lived with the Inuit Indians for a year, ate a high fat no veg diet and did not get scurvy or other deficiency illnesses.

He then tried to eat meat but without the fat and became very ill in one month.

He added the fat back and all was good again in one week.

Google it.....

If you eat too little your clever body will do its best to stop you expending energy, it shuts down!

In this state it is also easy to gain fat because your body thinks you are starving.

Depending on your size, there is a minimum amount of calories needed to keep your metabolic rate up at the right level.

Say about 2,000 for men.

With this and some occasional high intensity exercise, you can firm up muscle and lose fat.

Google is your friend......

Start asking it questions.

A man lived with the Inuit Indians for a year, ate a high fat no veg diet and did not get scurvy or other deficiency illnesses.

He then tried to eat meat but without the fat and became very ill in one month.

He added the fat back and all was good again in one week.

Google it.....

Too be honest the 2000 does not work for me. There are large variations between humans in how fast ther metabolism works. 2 guys of the same weight and muscles might have totally different amounts they have to burn. For me its way under the 2000. I wish for 2000 it would be so easy.

High fat food is Saturated fat ie cheese, meat, milk and butter

http://www.cdc.gov/n...turatedfat.html

This is getting sick and fat.

Sick: The recommended tolerated level is ZERO

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21521229

Fat: You need to restrict your intake and exercise in order to stay trimmed.

Conversely on low-fat diet you can eat as much as you like and still lose weight. (remember the banana girl and her 6000 calories a day?)

High fat food is Saturated fat ie cheese, meat, milk and butter

http://www.cdc.gov/n...turatedfat.html

This is getting sick and fat.

Sick: The recommended tolerated level is ZERO

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21521229

Fat: You need to restrict your intake and exercise in order to stay trimmed.

Conversely on low-fat diet you can eat as much as you like and still lose weight. (remember the banana girl and her 6000 calories a day?)

Indeed this has been a popular belief for the last 50 odd years.

However, the belief was founded on the idea that consuming fat, particularly saturated, causes heart disease, diabetes etc.

The sad truth is that all those diseases have increased rather than reduce in the low fat, high carb period.

More and more studies are showing that such fats are actually needed to transport vitamins and minerals in order to give us a healthy body.

It's hard to see the truth (the wood for the trees) for the many lies and bad science that are used to promote and sell products.

Greed is often the driver.

I recently read that the process of extruding cornflakes, especially organic ones, actually make the product toxic.

The organic ones may be worse because they would generally have more protein and therefore create more toxins.

Rice cakes-same story. It's the heat and high pressure that convert the proteins into something toxic.

In a study by a manufacturer of breakfast flakes, rats fed on the cardboard box that the cereals came in lived longer than the ones fed the cornflakes.

As the last one of the group of cereal eaters died, the first of the cardboard eaters died......

Where can we turn to in order to learn the actual Gods own TRUTH?

In the meantime, eat as little of the "packaged products", the "ready made, off the shelf" stuff and everything else (fresh - whole foods) in moderation?

Edited by laislica