Dutch Schengen Visa

My wife just got a visa for Schengen, requested at the dutch embassy in Bangkok. Why does the visa say it was issued in Kuala Lumpur? She got a visa valid for 6 weeks (we asked two week, so why not), multiple entry (we asked for single, so why not), but she can only stay 30 days per entry. But the intriguing parts is: why issued in KL? Anybody?

The Dutch have set up Regional Support Offices (RSO) in various regions around the globe during the past 2-3 years. This is to reduce costs. One of them is based in Asia and running since 2013. All visa applications made at the Dutch embassies in most South East Asia (Thailand, Philippens, Vietnam, Indonesia, ...) are forwarded to KL for processing. The embassy is now just a front-office, KL the back-office were actual decisions are made and visa stickers added. This means slightly longer processing times, used to be a 2-3-4 day process, now it may take about a whole week (legal max is 15 calendar days for proper applications which do not miss any documentation or need further review).

Edit: personally I'd rather see Schengen/EU visa offices or joined Schengen/EU embassies (atleast one per location). Then they could reduce costs aswell, share knowledge including better enforcement of EU regulations such as EU/EEA family member applications etc. Would also cut/reduce the need of the incompetent, useless and optional external service providers (VFS, TLS) which embassies try to lure/trick people into using.

Edited by Donutz

Btw what nationality are you? If you are from the EU or EEA (but in this case not from the Netherlands) your wifes visa should have been free of charge since she would be a family member of an EU/EEA citizen.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am looking for information on how to get a Dutch visa/Schengen visa for my Thai girlfriend, and this old thread came closest, so I will post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

So here goes:

My situation: I am employed in Bangkok with local Thai company, on a work permit, and want to take my Thai girlfriend for a holiday to the Netherlands (which is where I am from).

My Thai girlfriend works as a cashier for a hotel in Bangkok (I will not mention the name, but can say it is not a high-end hotel). She has been working there for over 10 years. She will get a Thai passport soon (first time). I think important to point out is: she can barely speak English.

Now, I have checked the website of the Dutch embassy in Bangkok, and I have checked the website of VFS.Global, the organization that now takes care of the visa applications also for the Dutch embassy. The VFS.Global website does mention some of the documents required, nevertheless, I post here to see if anyone has recently done the same who is in a similar situation as I.

What I want is: we will just go for a 3 week holiday or so starting some time first half of May. So I want, or better, need her, to get a tourist visa from the Dutch embassy, via VFS.Global (I believe they hold office in Sukhumvit 13). I know that an appointment with VFS has to be made and at the time of appointment visit the application and all required documents should be submitted.

What I’d like to know is, from anyone with similar and recent experience: what would be the easiest option to do it and what is all required for that?

As mentioned above, she can barely speak English, and any interview in English (and I understand she would have to do the interview alone) she will not be able to do.

So what are the chances of getting a visa and what is the best way to go about it? Should she apply as a single person without my involvement or should she make mention of me, the Dutch national? Should I get an invitation/sponsor letter from a family member residing in Netherlands?

Any advice appreciated!

Know that VFS is optional, you can apply via them or directly via the embassy (though they seem more reluctant since they opend the visa application centre with VFS at the Trendy Building).

But both the VFS and counter staff at the embassy speak Thai so any questions would be in Thai.

I'd sponsor her if I were you (check the website of the Dutch embassy, VFS and IND.nl for a PDF brochure), unless you are unable to sponsor her and she has sufficient funs to sponsor herself (34 euro per day).

For a well known Dutch blog on Thailand I wrote a guide on how to apply for a visa via the Dutch embassy. Google it (it's a blog with blue background and the document can be found in the menu on the left) or I'll sent you a link later. Lunchtime is over, no time for a more extensive reply right now.

1) can you chose between going to the VAC or to the embassy? Yes you can chose where you want to apply. The Visa Code allows for direct applications at the embassy though the applicant still needs an appointment. A lawyer I know from a Dutch immigration forum says you should be allowed not to deal with VFS at all (so not a single baht service fee). The embassy used to agree but under the new staff they no longer allow free appointments via e-mail. But perhaps they might if you cite article 17.5 to them regarding direct access. Most other Schengen embassies still work in this way, the Belgians explicitly refer to this article to allow for free appointment by e-mail. Now since NL is the goal the applicant needs to apply there. I lack feedback of people trying to get an appointment via e-mail. My own experiences predate this very recent setup and my late wife lived with me on a residence permit.

2) Both the staff at the VFS and embassy counter are Thai so I do expect them to be able to speak Thai. Obviously the embassy staff also dpeak English and Dutch. The questions shouldn't really be a lot. It might be as few as 1-2 or a few more depending ofcourse on how well you are prepared and specific situation. My girl really had to answer 2 questions (your name? how long do you go? ) but others may be asked more such as purpose of travel etc. I'd include a brief cover letter of max one side written by the both of you in which you briefly explain your intentions and that the Thai will return back in time (to work etc).

3) the sponsor can either act like a host (place to sleep), as a financial sponsor/guarantee or both. If these are two people each person (and their spouse) need to fill in and sign the relevant part of the form. If the host and guarantor are the same then this person (and spouse) fills out the entire form.

4) VFS are only there to forward the application to Kuala Lumpur. Not even the embassy staff, let alone the VFS outsiders have any say on the matter. Ofcourse they could add some comments regarding the few questions that they may ask. They may wish to remove irrelevant documents. Thst is fine if they are truelly irrelevant but if you think they are important evidence (to show reasons to return for instance) they should include the items. The checklist from the (VFS) website and a good preparation (using official sources and online experience) should give you a good start. About 1% (one percent) of Dutch visas from TH and neighbouring countries are denied.

Edited by Donutz

Thanks for the information Donutz!

I see that the embassy might, probably, be reluctant to accept appointment through e-mail at the embassy to submit the application.

Will consider which route to go.

Thanks for your helpful reply!

When I emailed them asking for an appointment, also following Donutz advice, they told me all I had to do was pitch up, I think between 14.00 and 15.00 and that an appoint wasn't required.

Their security operative was playing awkward, but once we got past him it was plain sailing, though we did have to remind the staff that the application should be free.

When I emailed them asking for an appointment, also following Donutz advice, they told me all I had to do was pitch up, I think between 14.00 and 15.00 and that an appoint wasn't required.

Their security operative was playing awkward, but once we got past him it was plain sailing, though we did have to remind the staff that the application should be free.

Armin (or "arm in BK" which is Dutch for "poor in BKK" ? 555) is a Dutch national so he won't be able to apply under the Freedom of Movement directive 2004/38. So the visa won't be free or via an accelerated, simplified procedure.

I do wonder though if they will still allow appointment by e-mail if pressing the matter and quoting the Visa Code :

Article 17 of EU Directive 810/2009/EC "Schengen Visa Code", (concerning external service providers):

5. The Member State(s) concerned shall maintain the possibility for all applicants to lodge their applications directly at its/their consulates.

Which the Handbook for embassy staff (ECO's) details as, but this handbook just explains the rules and has no legal status:

4.3. The service fee

Legal basis: Visa Code, Article 17

As a fundamental principle, a service fee may be charged to an applicant using the facilities of an external service provider only if the alternative is maintained of direct access to the consulate incurring the payment of just the visa fee (see point 4.4).

4.4. Direct access

Maintaining the possibility for visa applicants to lodge their applications directly at the consulate instead of via an external service provider implies that there should be a genuine choice between these two possibilities.

Even if direct access does not have to be organised under identical or similar conditions to those for access to the service provider, the conditions should not make direct access impossible in practice. Even if it is acceptable to have a different waiting time for obtaining an appointment in the case of direct access, the waiting time should not be so long that it would render direct access impossible in practice.

The different options available for lodging a visa application should be presented plainly to the public, including clear information both on the choice and the cost of the additional services of the external service provider (see Part I, point 4.1).

Sources: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/index_en.htm

Even if we would interpret the Visa Code to allow "direct access" as in being able to visit the embassy but also being obligated to use VFS to make the appointment itself it's still rather odd that they charge 1000 baht for both visits to the VAC or to the embassy. Before the VAC openend the fee was around 450 baht to make an appointment via VFS. So about 550 baht was added to process the application at the VAC, why pay this additional fee when you go the traditional route of applying at the embassy? The most likely explanation that I can think of would be that it's simply easier to have the same fee, that this also encourages people to go to the VAC and thus have less people go to the embassy which in turn saves the embassy manpower and money. And as foreign affairs is cutting spending on embassies, such budget cuts explain a decreasing level of service and trying to reduce costs.

But as said, under the previous head of visa affairs the Dutch website cited article 17.5 to allow direct applications per e-mail. Just as the Belgians and other Schengen embassies still do. So I'd disagree with the embassy's new head of visa affairs if he would argue that they can force VFS upon you.

Edited by Donutz

• 3 years later...

Last week I tried to make an appointment to visit the Dutch Embassy for a visa application. Using their compulsory online channel, the first available date that came up was May 8 - two months away............

Nice way to discourage applying at the Embassy and to get you to use VFS...........

That's a violation of the visa rules, the embassy is required to prepare for foreseeable increase in visa appointments. April is quite popular, it's high season and they know it. But due to budget constraints they don't expand staff for the high season.  Thus neglecting their mandatory requirements.  At best you can sent them an email but good luck fighting this.  Maybe a CC to European Home Affairs may trigger them in a positive way... (JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu). But don't get your hopes up.