Naltrexone in Thailand

Hi,

I will be visiting Bangkok in a few months and was wondering if anyone knows if Naltrexone is a controlled drug or is available in Thailand. I do not see it on the latest Thai Controlled list as of December 2013: http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/Thai%20Narcotic%20Act%202013%20December._9c7d.pdf

I really don't want to get crazy drunk in BKK and this drug really does the trick of removing the urge to drink. Even if I drink one beer I don't need to keep drinking, I can stop there without issue.

Any help on this topic will be appreciated.

Best bet is it use the forum's search function, upper right corner.

I tried "Naltrexone Thailand" on Google and it spat out a few Thai Visa thread links.

If you're staying long term, I'd suggest going to one of the foreigner focused hospitals, get in to the mental or behavioral health section and discuss your needs with a doc. If it's available anywhere, or there are locally available options, they're a good first try. Lots of eclectic stuff is only available legally through hospital pharmacies. Not nearly as expensive as seeing an equivalent doc in the USA, and walk-in is pretty easy. I pay about $30-40 per visit and that's at one of the most expensive hospitals in BKK (Bumrungrad)

Best of luck in Thailand!

Interesting. I took Naltrexone once and it did remove the physical cravings after the first drink. I was 27 and had been drinking alcoholically for over 10 years.

If you are not an alcoholic, I believe this drug doesn't work. If you are an alcoholic be very careful with this drug as all it does is temporally patch up your alcoholism. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, which wil get worse even if you are drinking or not, taking medication or not. there is a danger of when you stop taking the naltrexone or forget to take it. Alcoholism is a fatal disease - better to abstain - there are ways to do that in Bangkok.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting. I took Naltrexone once and it did remove the physical cravings after the first drink. I was 27 and had been drinking alcoholically for over 10 years.

If you are not an alcoholic, I believe this drug doesn't work. If you are an alcoholic be very careful with this drug as all it does is temporally patch up your alcoholism. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, which wil get worse even if you are drinking or not, taking medication or not. there is a danger of when you stop taking the naltrexone or forget to take it. Alcoholism is a fatal disease - better to abstain - there are ways to do that in Bangkok.

It is not supposed to remove the physical cravings after the first drink - that would be a miracle.

What it does is block the opiod receptors so you don't get the same buzz from beer. Over time this helps to reduce the desire to drink. The key is that it works over time (the Sinclair method) and there are plenty of peer reviewed studies that show it works well.

There is no evidence that Alcoholism is a disease. Nicotinism is not a disease and heroinism is not a disease. Booze, cigarettes and drugs are simply addictive substances.

It is not supposed to remove the physical cravings after the first drink - that would be a miracle.

What it does is block the opiod receptors so you don't get the same buzz from beer. Over time this helps to reduce the desire to drink. The key is that it works over time (the Sinclair method) and there are plenty of peer reviewed studies that show it works well.

There is no evidence that Alcoholism is a disease. Nicotinism is not a disease and heroinism is not a disease. Booze, cigarettes and drugs are simply addictive substances.

That's exactly what Naltrexone does - removes the craving for more alcohol after the first drink and also prevents binge drinking and the DTs, in my experience. Have you ever taken it? Are you an alcoholic? Are you a doctor? Do you know anything about what you are talking about? Do you drink?

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly what Naltrexone does - removes the craving for more alcohol after the first drink and also prevents binge drinking and the DTs, in my experience. Have you ever taken it? Are you an alcoholic? Are you a doctor? Do you know anything about what you are talking about? Do you drink?

According to the people in AA meetings 13 or so years ago, they agreed I was an alcoholic.

I have not taken Naltrexone, it wasn't around then or I'd just not heard of it. It wasn't the way I got out from under the problem.

If you read about the Sinclair method, it works over time, that was my point. It retrains your mind over time (and over a number of drinking attempts). It requires you to carry on drinking in order for it to work. Without drinking it is ineffective. It helps to break the association between alcohol and the buzz it gives you.

So I wanted to be clear that it is not a cure after 1 drink, it is a cure after many.

Naltrexone does not prevent withdrawal symptoms. It merely blocks the opiod receptors, which in turn prevents you from getting a buzz of either booze or heroin.

More here: http://www.well.com/user/woa/revia/reviafaq.htm

BTW - the one thing that concerns me about this drug is the fact that opiates would not work when on them.

So get into a car accident or something - emergency pain relief is not going to be effective.

I think you'd have a hard time getting the Potektung to understand that!

According to the people in AA meetings 13 or so years ago, they agreed I was an alcoholic.

I have not taken Naltrexone, it wasn't around then or I'd just not heard of it. It wasn't the way I got out from under the problem.

If you read about the Sinclair method, it works over time, that was my point. It retrains your mind over time (and over a number of drinking attempts). It requires you to carry on drinking in order for it to work. Without drinking it is ineffective. It helps to break the association between alcohol and the buzz it gives you.

So I wanted to be clear that it is not a cure after 1 drink, it is a cure after many.

Naltrexone does not prevent withdrawal symptoms. It merely blocks the opiod receptors, which in turn prevents you from getting a buzz of either booze or heroin.

People in AA can't decide if you are an alcoholic, only you can. Actually there is a growing number of non-alcoholics going into AA due to it's popularity these days, court-sentenced people etc.

I have taken Naltrexone and it did remove the physical cravings after the first drink.

You never answered so I take it you're not a doctor.

Neeranam told you already it isn't a cure, but you don't listen. It cures the physical aspect of the disease.

Naltrexone did prevent the DTS for me.

Have you ever had DTS?

Are you sure you went to AA meetings? I have never heard of any discussion ever taking place at any AA meetings about whether anybody is or isn't an alcoholic. Only you can decide ....

Pedro as far as AA is concerned you are a troll.

Are you sure you went to AA meetings? I have never heard of any discussion ever taking place at any AA meetings about whether anybody is or isn't an alcoholic. Only you can decide ....

Yup - NA and AA.

Got a free book out of both.

Looking for FA for a free book too

Yup - NA and AA.

Got a free book out of both.

Looking for FA for a free book too

If you have any integrity, take the books back to help someone who wants to quit. These books are not free - you conned someone into buying you one. At the same time you can tell everyone there that they are doomed. cheesy.gif

By the way, you selectivel choose what questions you answer to.

I asked if you had ever suffered from Delerium Tremens.

I dont know what I got given when I was banged up for a stretch but the drug was given for 5 days with a lower dose each day and the craving for booze was removed instantly.

When I subsequently asked a GP I got a stonewall answer and was later told the public are kept in the dark about the Med for the fear of binge drinking becoming the norm when people know they can stop the booze intake instantly with these capsules

I dont know what I got given when I was banged up for a stretch but the drug was given for 5 days with a lower dose each day and the craving for booze was removed instantly.

When I subsequently asked a GP I got a stonewall answer and was later told the public are kept in the dark about the Med for the fear of binge drinking becoming the norm when people know they can stop the booze intake instantly with these capsules

Strange. it might save someone's life!

It was probably librium, or possibly another benzodiazepine like diazepam.

Strange. it might save someone's life!

It was probably librium, or possibly another benzodiazepine like diazepam.

Absolutely wasnt Diazepam. Had no "chill" effect whatsoever just the craving had gone really from first doses inside

I only wish I had been aware of it pre sentencing as the 4 months leading up was drinking 9 litres a day of Cider to calm me. Doctor refused the valium until I had stopped drinking rock and a hard place

Archived