Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Supporters of Scottish independence claim they have the "big momentum" with less than two weeks to go before the referendum vote.

It comes as a Sunday Times poll suggests the Yes camp has taken the lead for the first time.

Some 51% of those who have made up their mind and intend to vote back an independent Scotland while 49% plan to vote no, the YouGov poll suggests.

The Better Together campaign's Alistair Darling called it a "wake-up call".

The poll of 1,084 people, carried out between 2 and 5 September, is the first and only serious study to put the Yes campaign ahead, and suggests the pro-Union camp has lost its lead - once regularly in the double-digits.

On 18 September voters will be asked the Yes/No question: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

The headline poll results exclude undecided voters or those who plan not to vote.

When they are included, 47% backed Yes while 45% said they would opt to stay in the UK.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29096458

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-07

• Like 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see how it could be bad for Scotland if they get to take the North Sea oil with them. They could be the next Norway. However, Scottish independence would consign the UK to the clutches of the Tories forever. Hard luck for the Brits in that case.

Scotland's case for oil in the North Sea is debatable,the 70s brought up a deal it was for the UKs use,but I think the Shetland Islanders now will see a sizeable shift in their thinking.

Was being suggested they too want their own referendum, interesting to see . But a superb result for England even if it did come by default

No "hard luck" for the English either ,I always vote conservative

• Like 2

The yes campaign has a big following in the 16-18 yr old range (all eligible to vote of course), who have been fed too much Brave Heart and Rob Roy for their own good. I really hope people stop and think what they are doing, once the result of the vote is done there is no going back.

What I find odd is there is no concrete answers from the NO or YES side regarding Scot currency, oil, and joint debt, just saber rattling for the electorate to listen too.

Also the YES stating removal of "our" deterrent that has kept the union "safe" for decades. blink.png

Hmmmm, perhaps the closure of nuclear power stations will be next.........whistling.gif

What would new currency be called?

Personally I think it would be a bad move for Scotland, but if they want to go for it all the best. At least the Bank of England could make some money on loans to the new government when it realises it can't make ends meet.

Here is a dedicated group to discuss that specific matter.

if-scotland-votes-to-leave-is-the-pound-doomed

I don't see how it could be bad for Scotland if they get to take the North Sea oil with them. They could be the next Norway. However, Scottish independence would consign the UK to the clutches of the Tories forever. Hard luck for the Brits in that case.

Does Scotland owe any debt to the UK?

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Won't the UK have to change its name? Scotland is easy. What will the remainder be called? Maybe at the same time you could take the opportunity to do away with that awful national anthem in favour of something with a bit more oomph! about it. coffee1.gif

Edited by rajyindee

Yes part of the national debt which they say they will negotiate about after, no detail though.

Yes part of the national debt which they say they will negotiate about after, no detail though.

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Won't the UK have to change its name? Scotland is easy. What will the remainder be called? Maybe at the same time you could take the opportunity to do away with that awful national anthem in favour of something with a bit more oomph! about it. coffee1.gif

I'm not British or Scottish... So nothing in the game...

But from my general life experience, I have found that those who are truly 'undecided', normally opt for the status quo

Given this, unless the yes vote continues to grow more momentum, would put my money on this not passing

• Like 1

I'm not British or Scottish... So nothing in the game...

But from my general life experience, I have found that those who are truly 'undecided', normally opt for the status quo

Given this, unless the yes vote continues to grow more momentum, would put my money on this not passing

The problem is persuading them to vote. That said, on the day, I still think it'll be around 52-48 in favour of the No option.

Edited by rajyindee