Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

I've a much better idea. Let's separate ourselves from London and the South East.

Keep the Welsh and the Celtic English and the Jock brethren together and get rid of the vankars.

Rather insulting to call Scots "Jock", don't you think?

I call I my Jock mates 'Jock'.

Andy Jock, there's Colin Jock, trying to think now . . . Gordon Jock, there's two of them.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if the yes vote wins by a small margin that the UK government will somehow try to get a second vote. Probably have some negotiations and then demand a vote on those so as to delay the inevitable. Just like happened in Ireland when the people voted no when hey were supposed to vote yes. They just gave them some extra money and they vote yes like they were supposed to the next time.

• Like 1

I think if the yes vote wins by a small margin that the UK government will somehow try to get a second vote. Probably have some negotiations and then demand a vote on those so as to delay the inevitable. Just like happened in Ireland when the people voted no when hey were supposed to vote yes. They just gave them some extra money and they vote yes like they were supposed to the next time.

Ratchet referenda.

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Won't the UK have to change its name? Scotland is easy. What will the remainder be called? Maybe at the same time you could take the opportunity to do away with that awful national anthem in favour of something with a bit more oomph! about it. coffee1.gif

Land of Hope isn't the national anthem

Would the united Kingdom have to change its name? - if N Ireland left they would drop the "and Northern Ireland" bit, their midst be a problem with the of Great Britain, but UK would still be valid.

No

I've a much better idea. Let's separate ourselves from London and the South East.

Keep the Welsh and the Celtic English and the Jock brethren together and get rid of the vankars.

Andy Jock, there's Colin Jock, trying to think now . . . Gordon Jock, there's two of them.

Maybe they aren't really your mates.......?

Who cares? It's all imaginary. Borders don't actually exist. Countries don't actually exist. Only scumbags calling themselves politicians making money off the imaginary lines exist and their men with guns.

Wake up people!!!!

• Like 1

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Won't the UK have to change its name? Scotland is easy. What will the remainder be called? Maybe at the same time you could take the opportunity to do away with that awful national anthem in favour of something with a bit more oomph! about it. coffee1.gif

Land of Hope isn't the national anthem

Would the united Kingdom have to change its name? - if N Ireland left they would drop the "and Northern Ireland" bit, their midst be a problem with the of Great Britain, but UK would still be valid.

The guy asked for a new anthem, I put one forward. I was going to suggest a ZZ Top number but there would have been a lot of w00t.gif ..................laugh.png

• Like 1

How can they question 1,000-odd people and call it representative in a population of 5 million-ish ? Pollsters are notoriously wrong, so I'll keep my powder dry till 18th wink.png

As an aside -- I have never, ever met anyone who has been asked to take part in one of these polls. bah.gif

If you choose a representative sample then all you need is about 1000 people. They results are usually accurate to +/-3%. Simple maths. Pollsters can be wrong but they are usually fairly accurate. No idea where you get 'notoriously wrong' from.

all that means is that "1000 people who agreed to answer a poll" took part........ would YOU take part if someone rang you????

Edited by wilcopops

Actually they're my best friends. Have been for a long time.

It's all down to your own perception...if you persistently called me "jock" you wouldn't necessarily like what I called you.

• Like 1

It's all down to your own perception...if you persistently called me "jock" you wouldn't necessarily like what I called you.

Don't be soft. These are real men I'm talking about.

My oh my. The "politians" are good at creating hate and division.

It's their modus operandi.

The Scots have always been parasites on England, the sooner we dump them the better.

Jacky that was a terrible thing to say. Scotland has produced some of the finest scientists and engineers, world dependent inventions and huge industries.

I hope they do get independence. But only if it's properly planned and managed and isn't just an ego stroking exercise for Salmond.

Half the problem is they need a new sense of identity to renew their confidence and self-esteem.

I would bet on the Jocks. I've never met an incompetent one yet.

• Like 2

The Scots have always been parasites on England, the sooner we dump them the better.

Jacky that was a terrible thing to say. Scotland has produced some of the finest scientists and engineers, world dependent inventions and huge industries.

I hope they do get independence. But only if it's properly planned and managed and isn't just an ego stroking exercise for Salmond.

Half the problem is they need a new sense of identity to renew their confidence and self-esteem.

I would bet on the Jocks. I've never met an incompetent one yet.

Indeed, Alexander Fleming, Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, John Logie Baird, Alex Ferguson and Bill Shankly, to name but a few. wink.png

• Like 1

Please stay on topic. We have had numerous threads about Scottish independence and they have all had to be closed after they turned into flame-fests and being completely derailed by off-topic remarks.

We know there are many famous Scots. We know it has an illustrious and interesting history. This thread is about its future.

If you wish to post and to discuss do so in a civil manner.

• Like 1

This a how to annoy the English Post!

I wrote to Alex Salmond!

I wanted to write to urge you to continue to have purpose and determination. Perfidious, mendacious, charming Albion will, increasingly, try to find ways to undermine you. It is funny, is it not that, in many cases disastrously, it gave independence to its colonies once it was thought that all resources had been extracted and repatriated, but draws back from just causes nearer home? Of course they bribed Northern Ireland and Wales and will no doubt attempt the same with you.

What did Burns write?

We're bought and sold for English Gold,

Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation.

I fear England thinks there are still resources to be extracted from Scotland!

I was reading Robert MacFarlanes book The Old Ways where he recounts, as is well known, that James Matheson, on the strength of his profits from Opium, bought the island of Lewis. I trust Jardine Matheson are supporting you handsomely!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They can't. This is one time only. A yes is a yes, even if it is a win by one vote. A no is a no, there will be no more referendums on this issue.

• Like 1

What would new currency be called?

Personally I think it would be a bad move for Scotland, but if they want to go for it all the best. At least the Bank of England could make some money on loans to the new government when it realises it can't make ends meet.

Scotland has a lot of oil revenue which is now taken by England. I think England will have to ask Scotland for a loan.

cheesy.gif , another English hater who has nooooooooooooooooooo understanding about a long time union between England, Wales, N.Ireland, and yes Scotland.......rolleyes.gif

The bigger factor has been the canvassing of voters in towns and cities across Scotland by YES supporters.....something that has been ignored by the media.

This the same media which has been churning out the mantra of Wither Together for months.....well I can tell you that the YES campaign has had offices in towns all over Scotland....with literally an open door policy every day for anyone to drop by and ask any question they wish on any issue.

They have also been in town squares every weekend making themselves available to help inform the public on this vote.

The no campaign has focused almost exclusively on their media advantage....which in the end has proved their undoing....as many voters have seen through the lies they have told.

They have no grass roots support....only those who were hoodwinked....and are now waking up to the realities of the issues and potential benefits of being independent.

Key to the YES campaign gaining ground is that there are no projections of huge wealth.....simply a whole lot of fresh opportunity and hope.

Scottish voters know from experience a Tory government will give many in Scotland no hope at all.

The difference in campaigns has been an eye-opener for sure. Now is like the run-in to the Grand National and they've just passed The Elbow. Will one of the two campaigns suffer a Devon Loch moment? I think the gloves could come off during this next 10 days or so ... it'll be interesting to see what ammunition they have left.

Edited by rajyindee

If Scotland becomes independent, it will have something England will not have - a written constitution. And with that the country may move from common law to civil law judicial system that is prevalent with British former colonies. Such a change in judicial systems will move Scotland away from traditional British custom and towards its own heritage.

• Like 1

will Scotland have it's own king? who?

King Alex of Salmond of course.

It's his dream.

We could invite some lesser royalty from Europe over to do the job . It has been done in the past .

Or we could just not bother having a king.

• Like 2