Crackdowns have started on massage shops and beer bars in Patong

Bulldozer Dawn

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If properly enforced the closure of massage parlours and beer bars will add to the growing number of unemployed in Phuket. Most of these girls will still have to send money back to the village and so I see little alternative for them other than moving into the freelance environment. Higher risk for those girls and for their customers. One massage parlour I go to (no special massage available) has 8 girls...well some are properly described as old ladies. Only one of them has a certificate.

• Like 1

Again the people that have done the work and gotten the proper paperwork are to blame, while the Hundreds of non certificate should get proper work documents or move on. My GF got her paperwork only to lose jobs from the other. It seams maybe some sort of Clean slate restart for phuket is what is needed or happening.

• Like 1

In Bangkok it is impossible to find a Thai cleaning woman, even for 12.000 Baht. Office girls who are active (don't need to be smart) and not just sitting and waiting are also hard to get. Salary can be quickly at 20-30K.

I spoke a while ago with a Dive Center who wanted the girls on the counter have at least the Open Water course so they know what they speak about. He couldn't find one willing to do it...no matter the money.

• Like 2

If properly enforced the closure of massage parlours and beer bars will add to the growing number of unemployed in Phuket. Most of these girls will still have to send money back to the village and so I see little alternative for them other than moving into the freelance environment. Higher risk for those girls and for their customers. One massage parlour I go to (no special massage available) has 8 girls...well some are properly described as old ladies. Only one of them has a certificate.

"Higher risk for those girls and for their customers." - slightly higher risk for the customer, but why higher risk for the girl?

Any random guy can walk up to a beer bar, pick a girl, pay the bar fine, and off they go. No different to picking a girl in a nightclub and then going home together.

• Like 2

Hard to keep track of all the crackdowns lately. But I haven't seen anything of this supposed 'crackdown on massage shops and beer bars' in any of the local media rags. Is there any other evidence of this outside of the OP? Anyone seen the same in their areas of Patong or the island in general?

In a related note; TVers and other locals commenting in the local medias scoffed at the beach chair and beach vendors when they lost their work. Some suggested they go look for a 'real job' or go back to Isan and work in the rice fields. I'm wondering if they'll share that sentiment should their favorite massage gals and/or bar fines find themselves in that situation? whistling.gif

"I'm wondering if they'll share that sentiment should their favorite massage gals and/or bar fines find themselves in that situation?" - perhaps a crackdown like this could see a rise in mia noi "employment." biggrin.png

Hard to keep track of all the crackdowns lately. But I haven't seen anything of this supposed 'crackdown on massage shops and beer bars' in any of the local media rags. Is there any other evidence of this outside of the OP? Anyone seen the same in their areas of Patong or the island in general?

In a related note; TVers and other locals commenting in the local medias scoffed at the beach chair and beach vendors when they lost their work. Some suggested they go look for a 'real job' or go back to Isan and work in the rice fields. I'm wondering if they'll share that sentiment should their favorite massage gals and/or bar fines find themselves in that situation? whistling.gif

Yes

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Post critical of the NCPO removed

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media, Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729064-urgent-notice-to-members/

• Like 1

What is the crackdown on the beer bars? Massage shops I can understand they need a certificate but no certificate is needed to be a server, dancer, cashier etc.

Also, when did the Junta announce this crackdown on massage shops and beer bars?

What is the crackdown on the beer bars? Massage shops I can understand they need a certificate but no certificate is needed to be a server, dancer, cashier etc.

Also, when did the Junta announce this crackdown on massage shops and beer bars?

No , nowhere that Ive seen.

This is simply a TV members observations presented as news.

I have read of no announced crack down on Massage Parlours or Bars.

Ive witnessed no crackdown either , but thats not to say that the army /police havent been around.

The police often visit the bars , but we wouldnt have called that a 'crackdown' before.

• Like 2

yeah... rumor mongering...

Let's see at first if there really will be a crackdown on massage places and beer bars, and if there is one, how it will be carried out.

Personally, I don't believe one second that they will close the standard beer bar.

Let's see what really happens.

If you write a list of things that need fixing and were a danger to the population in Thailand I think beer bars and massage parlours would be very low on the list.

Its become almost a religious type fervour to rid Thailand of anything that vaguely brings people some pleasure.

The internet with social media is a powerful tool and if this keeps up you won't have to be worried about offending tourists, there wont be any.

• Like 1

Other than Wat Po Massage school, who benefits from this crackdown, and what could be motivating it? Has Jerry Falwell joined the army as a moral advisor? Is this meant to target untrained massage personnel, or the "trade"? What is up with this? Anybody know, of can anybody speculate on this? It makes very little sense. Are they trying to make the entire country a family destination, much like they are already doing in Samui? Are they trying to get rid of the punters? Is fun and games of all sorts going to be targeted next? Will Thailand become America, where fun is frowned upon at all costs?

• Like 1