Two men arrested in Samui for robbing tourists

webfact

Two men arrested in Samui for robbing tourists

knife-gang-arrests-Koh-Samui.jpg
Photo – Bangkok Post

KOH SAMUI: -- Police have arrested two of the men suspected of robbing Chinese tourists and are still on the lookout for two others thought to be part of the same criminal gang.

Police and tourist police arrested Pairote Sungchim, 21 and a second man age 15 only known as Ohm in the car park of the Sea Tran ferry port in Nathon as they were waiting to board a ferry heading to the mainland on Monday night.

Bophut police chief Satit Promuthi said that the police had found evidence that the two men were part of the knife wielding gang who tried to rob Zhou Haiyan and Yang Yafel, a couple who were visiting Koh Samui to explore travel opportunities for Chinese tourists for their travel company. The attack took place on August 30th. The two men fled the scene leaving the couple injured but without the bag they had tried to snatch.

The two have been charged with robbery and assault. Mr. Pairote was detained at the police station, Ohm has been sent to the Juvenile Observation and Protection centre in the Muang district in Surat Thani province.

Police are now trying to locate two other men known only as James and Num believe to be part of the same gang. Pol Col Satit said he belives the gang have robbed more than 10 other victims during the past month and were targeting foreigners to fund their partying and drug habits.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-09-10

...what is ' a standard sentence' for 'armed robbery' in the rest of the world......

...if it is a few hundred baht or a few days here.....is it hard to understand why crime is rising.....

...especially also being lenient if they 'confess...and explain how they needed the money'.....

...it seems that that's how it works with children....tell them to say 'Sorry, I won't do it again.....'......and that ends that......???

...what is ' a standard sentence' for 'armed robbery' in the rest of the world......

...if it is a few hundred baht or a few days here.....is it hard to understand why crime is rising.....

...especially also being lenient if they 'confess...and explain how they needed the money'.....

...it seems that that's how it works with children....tell them to say 'Sorry, I won't do it again.....'......and that ends that......???

Seems like Thailand has severe punishments for armed robbery.

THAILAND CRIMINAL CODE B.E. 2499 (1956)

As Amended by the Criminal Code (No. 17), B.E. 2547 (2003)

CHAPTER 2

OF EXTORTION, BLACKMAIL, ROBBERY AND GANG-ROBBERY

"Section 340 Whoever with three persons upwards participate in committing robbery, such persons are said to commit gang-robbery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of ten to fifteen years and fined of twenty thousand to thirty thousand Baht.

If in the commission of the gang-robbery, even one of the offenders carries arms, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of twelve to twenty years and fined of twenty-four thousand to forty thousand Baht.If the gang-robbery causes grievous bodily harm to the other person, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment for life or imprisonment of fifteen to twenty years.".

Let justice take its course.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

Have the junta advised the Thai old bill they are now no longer allowed to point at the accused during the perp parades? Its a while since I've seen pointing.

Perhaps the military man in the photo and the current rule of law finds it unnecessary and "pointless".

I imagine that the reason there is only one bad guy in the photo under the heading of "Two men" is that one was underage as the article mentioned. Yeah I know I repeat.

This is another crime which has Chinese victims who were checking out tourist destinations? I think the Chinese better look at the contacts they have. Someone is dobbing these Chinese into the crime mafia (sorry ..mafia=groups) as targets!

Have the junta advised the Thai old bill they are now no longer allowed to point at the accused during the perp parades? Its a while since I've seen pointing.

Maybe they should adopt the Thai "tradition" of putting a box over the offender's head....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

25 years on Samui and more crime ever year. Yes more people brings more crime. Mafia more crime crime mafia... When will the NPOC come to Samui to clean it up....????

hold on they arrested the person so they shows they are already cleaning up.

I suppose if they had not arrested them and they were still out they you would not be complaining as you might not know about