Koh Samui bids a fond farewell to Larry Snyder of The Shack

webfact

Koh Samui bids a fond farewell to Larry Snyder of The Shack

sam.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Today more than two hundred residents of Koh Samui turned out to wish a fond farewell to what has to be one of the islands most popular ex-pat residents. Those in Samui mourned their loss today with Larry’s friends and family around the world who could not attend his funeral.

Larry Snyder opened his famous The Shack restaurant in the Bophut Fisherman’s village in 2003 and it very quickly gained a reputation as one of the best steak houses on the island, a reputation it holds up to this day.

Larry, originally from New York was an instant hit with locals, ex-pats and visitors alike and had a seemingly endless energy and passion for good food, good times and for being the perfect host, so much so that The Shack, to many, was simply known as Larry’s.

Quite modest at first, Larry sympathetically expanded The Shack over the years, but today, as in the early days the ambiance, low level lighting and Jazz music and his particular brand of magic made it a firm favorite on the island.

The fisherman’s village will never quite be the same without such a loveable character and there is no doubt that anybody that had the fortune to meet Larry will miss his presence considerably. There is no doubt that he would have been proud to know how many people’s lives he touched and without a doubt he left knowing how much Larry’s The Shack was enjoyed by so many from every corner of the globe.

May he rest in peace.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-09-10

• Like 2

im upset, i was waiting for an update so i could pay my respects, now ive missed it.

was hoping to see him while i was here on phangan only to hear he died the day before i landed on the island.

As for the article, the music was predominately blues, not jazz.

will raise a glass of fat bastard either way.

larry, thanks for 10 years of dinners, boxes of wine and airport pickups and late nights. we should have made more of it while we had the time. I liked you much more than most.

Edited by HooHaa