Supermarkets

changchang

Absolutely love the local food, but after living for some time in a place with few Western goodies I must admit it's also been fun to visit some of the supermarkets here.

Would it be helpful to start a thread on the local supermarkets ? I will try to start it off though I am new here and might not be too good at explaining locations. Feel free to correct or clarify as well as to mention other products you have found in any of these places.

Rim Ping (pronounced "Lim Ping") Road 1001, near Ring Road, Mae Jo area.

Smallish supermarket that may not be the best place for general shopping but does have a great selection of specialty foods : cheeses and other deli goods, hummus, tahini, tzatziki and baba ganoush, fresh bread, good quality fresh fruit and vegetables, Cross and Blackwell Picalilli Chow Chow and Branston Pickle, tortillas and Mexican seasonings, dill pickles, jalapeno peppers, Vegemite and more. Also a large range of aromatic oils, soaps, herbal teas and the like.

Keep the orange plastic bags for your next visit; they re-cycle :o .

I also have a question - I recall hearing of a big supermarket in the city center (and perhaps there are a few). Can anyone tell me the name/s and location/s of these ?

I live by and shop in the Rim Ping you mentioned, yeah not a good place to do all your shopping some of the prices are quite high however you can get some nice imports from most of our home countries. I would suggest having a look around the Carrfour (pronounced <car &lt;deleted&gt;>) they have a section (close to the ice cream) that is all imports and the prices are not to bad but they are in line with what you may pay in your native country.

Carrefour on Ring Road near intersection with Road 1001

Large supermarket stocking most things you might need, with electrical goods, stationery, clothing, kitchen ware and household items as well as fresh and packaged foods, including fresh bread, cheeses and deli goods and other Western products.

Thanks for your contribution, DrFisher :o .

Tesco Lotus (1.5km from Airport Plaza on Hang Dong Road)

Big C (Super Highway)

Makro (Super Highway)

Tops (Kad Suan Kaew & Airport Plaza)

Rim Ping (Chang Puak Gate near moat - north a couple hundred meters)

My primary shopping is at Tesco Lotus, large vegatable/fruit selection, large cheese selections, bakery, hardware, electronics, pharmacy, household goods, clothing, shoes, some auto supplies.

Second is Tops, (Kad Suan Kaew) a few import food items not available at Lotus, half decent bakery just before entering the supermarket, a fairly good ground beef, some imported beef/lamb.

Edited by tywais

I agree that all the Rimping supermarkets are great for 'specialty' items, lets not forget the 'Kasem store' which has two branches, one near Warorot market, the other on Nimmenhemmin Rd. They stock (nearly) all those hard to get products.. I also agree that Carrefour is the best for your general shopping. Tesco lotus (both branches) are fine as well.. Avoid 'Big C' as they like to turn off the air conditioning and the car parking is a bit of a shambles.. Regards.

I really like the Rimping on Mae Jo Road. The manager has great English and often asks our family if there is any specific item that we want in the store. They've managed to get them quite quickly....

For all those families with young children... swimming diapers will be arriving soon.

We enjoy shopping at the markets. Much cheaper and if you are selective there is some very good produce there as well as the not so good. Look at your home countries and see what the supermarkets have done to the original family run shops. Would you like that to happen here as well? I find the markets to be fun (although sometimes hot and a bit smelly) to shop in and it is part of the local culture.

No I don't want to start a huge debate on the pros and cons of it all just giving my opinion and, yes, we do shop at the supermarkets as well. :o

I enjoy market shopping, too.

Where is Lotus Express ?

Fuel station forecourts e.g. head over Nakorn Ping bridge going west and there is one in the station on your right by the second set of traffic lights over the bridge.

I enjoy market shopping, too.

Where is Lotus Express ?

There are a few in CM. There is one of the corner of Suthep and the Canal. There is one near Nakorn Ping Bridge and one somewhere round the back of Nakornping Condo, but I can't tell you exactly where.

Are there any others?

I agree that all the Rimping supermarkets are great for 'specialty' items, lets not forget the 'Kasem store' which has two branches, one near Warorot market, the other on Nimmenhemmin Rd. They stock (nearly) all those hard to get products.. I also agree that Carrefour is the best for your general shopping. Tesco lotus (both branches) are fine as well.. Avoid 'Big C' as they like to turn off the air conditioning and the car parking is a bit of a shambles.. Regards.

The Kasem store was Ok before the arrival of Lotus, Big C, Carrefour, etc., but whilst the old girl who has been there for yonk's always promised to get things in never did.

Some years back I took her an empty pickled onion jar (that I had picked up from Foodland or Villa) and it was all yes. yes I will get but the words were hollow.

Nowadays I wouldn't waste the time looking for a parking space to go to Kasems

Sorry if I have offended those of you who seem to think that Kasem's was (is) the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by john b good

The Kasem store was Ok before the arrival of Lotus, Big C, Carrefour, etc., but whilst the old girl who has been there for yonk's always promised to get things in never did.

Some years back I took her an empty pickled onion jar (that I had picked up from Foodland or Villa) and it was all yes. yes I will get but the words were hollow.

Nowadays I wouldn't waste the time looking for a parking space to go to Kasems

Sorry if I have offended those of you who seem to think that Kasem's was (is) the greatest thing since sliced bread.

She never got in pickled onions and must be damned for all eternity. :o

I think that they have lots of stuff the supermarkets don't. They have a few nice bakery products. Around Nimmaheimen they are pretty much the only choice for foreign food.

I also think they are peng and the freshness of a lot of their stock must be called into question.

I still go though...