fishing local venues for talapia

Backwoods

Wife and I want to fia few of the local ponds for talapia, on ultralight, but have no idea about bait and rigging. I hear about small shrimp and small floats and balls of bread, Any Ideas if the take any small spinners or jigs?

buy packets of bait 20 bht from shop, mix with a little water & either float fish with a small ball on size 8-10 hook or ledger with 1 of those thai spring contraptions with lots of hooks, form a ball of bait around the spring then wind the hooks around it sticking em into the ball, works better if you put a polystyrene ball on each hook first, no idea why...

I've found that just about anything works. Tried it all. Best is a piece of meat (chicken, pork, beef, all work well) on a good sized single hook. If you are adept at striking one piece of meat will last for multiple catches. Bread works too, but you'll have to keep re-baiting frequently. I've caught pla nin on a spinner too.

I've been doing really well with worms, both with a float and on the bottom. The Styrofoam balls get the hooks to float above the bait ball and the get sucked in while the fish are feeding. I don't see Thais using the multi hook and spring rig if they are targeting tilapia, it is used often for the larger catfish and carp.

• 2 weeks later...