Any simple advice would be much appreciated

Guys

I found a couple of plants this morning that had a couple of leaves like this.

post-211553-0-02781900-1411963188_thumb.

I am assuming leaf miner. Taking no chances, I have removed all the branches that had any leaves showing any signs.

My plants have only had water and never been sprayed with anything. They are on my patio well away from any other greenage.

Can anybody confirm leaf miner and recommend a spray that is readily available in Thailand.

Many thanks

You have two choices, organic or chemical.

The leaf miner reproduces very fast lays eggs in the dirt below, re-infects the plant no matter how many leaves you cut.

Uncontrolled it will weaken and render the plant unproductive.

Organic; look for Neem Oil (Sadau in Thai) mix with a little dishwashing detergent; spray weekly; it works well but takes a couple of weeks to see results,

Chemical: Abamectin works extremely well: read mixing instructions carefully and spray

weekly (two or three times should do it)

Both organic and chemical; make sure to spray the dirt and around the plant base.

Edited by soidog2

You have two choices, organic or chemical.

The leaf miner reproduces very fast lays eggs in the dirt below, re-infects the plant no matter how many leaves you cut.

Uncontrolled it will weaken and render the plant unproductive.

Organic; look for Neem Oil (Sadau in Thai) mix with a little dishwashing detergent; spray weekly; it works well but takes a couple of weeks to see results,

Chemical: Abamectin works extremely well: read mixing instructions carefully and spray

weekly (two or three times should do it)

Both organic and chemical; make sure to spray the dirt and around the plant base.

I read that they don't like being buried, so you can turn the soil over and reduce them that way. Not reducing ants might help as well.

• 1 month later...

If you are a city dweller manure will be hard to come by.

Plan B would be to find some low NPK numbers fertizer and dissolve minute quantities in your watering can.. Go slow, try it, make sure the plants like it.

See my seedlings waiting for the cooler weather the smaller ones were all bunched in two or three per.

I separated them just like you.

Same plants today, how are your's doing?post-14625-0-28146200-1416669668_thumb.jpost-14625-0-43751100-1416669699_thumb.j

Straight from the iPhone pictures, I wish there would be an image editor in the posting options: rotate, crop, enhance, color adjustment, would be good for starters.

Edited by soidog2

• 4 months later...

What is the best time of year to start tomato plants in North Thailand, and what varieties do well here in Thailand? This is my first year growing them, so I'd like to experiment with various varieties to see what works.

Best time to tray start; is always a couple of month before the cool season, most western varieties will not set fruit well if very hot and will fall apart in the rainy season.

What works well, depends on how hard you are willing to work. Success depends a lot on your soil condition; early pest management etc.

Black Russian types grow relatively well; are delicious. Cherry tomatoes are also fun to grow and last much longer.

Search for heat & humidity tolerant (Florida types) strains.

Best regards

• Like 1