what my western neighbours thinking my issan wife

davetrout

my wife and l have 1 year old baby. they live with me in wa australia for six months now. when at home she is always yelling loud but not angry but loud when they talking . same they do in her village in sisaket.

in village they all are loud but here at home l notice it more. my neighbours must think we are fighting. l not worried about neighbours or anyone else what they think. the small town we live in the people are getting to know her now.l know they like the cooking smell comes out of home. does anyone think issan are loud talkers.

cheers

Edited by davetrout
  • Like 2

To my experience, they are talkative but not loud.

In my Thai family circle even if they have an argument they don't raise their voices and try to solve it quietly.

We are the loud ones, trying to put our point across.

That, may be, is because of frustration as sometimes we can't be understood or being stubborn we expect everybody else to follow our way of thinking and understanding things.

• Like 2

YES.

Very loud when talking to family or people from their Issan village.

Very soft spoken when speaking English.

My wife is also from a small Issan village.

She and my six year old daughter are constantly yelling at each other in passa Thai.

If you did not know better you would think they hate each other.

I make sure my daughter understands that farangs only yell when they are mad or the is some sort of danger.

The yelling does get on my nerves at times, but I know it is harmless and just ask them to turn down the volume.

They do not even realize they are being loud until I point it out.

As for the neighbors.......who cares!

• Like 2

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=6431;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Surely none could be louder than an Australian 'woman' could they?

What that Nasal drone ?

• Like 1

Yes - that's my experience. Put several together and the volume increases as they all try to out shout each other. My wife and daughter are always shouting from a few feet away when they talk. My son and his grandma shout at one another all the time. They all yell down the phone for some reason. Yet when speaking English, the volume goes down and talk nicely.

Couple of things I noticed. Thai is a member of the same language group as some of the southern Indian ones. When I lived in Tamil Nadu they all shouted at one another, but spoke lovely English. Secondly, they are out in the fields and open a lot more so get used to talking over distance which increases the natural tones.

• Like 1

YES.

Very loud when talking to family or people from their Issan village.

Very soft spoken when speaking English.

My wife is also from a small Issan village.

She and my six year old daughter are constantly yelling at each other in passa Thai.

If you did not know better you would think they hate each other.

I make sure my daughter understands that farangs only yell when they are mad or the is some sort of danger.

The yelling does get on my nerves at times, but I know it is harmless and just ask them to turn down the volume.

They do not even realize they are being loud until I point it out.

As for the neighbors.......who cares!

thankyou l hope my boy does not start yelling what a crack up you gotta laugh at isann way of life