what my western neighbours thinking my issan wife

davetrout

My Mrs isn't from Isaan but she's loud too, especially on the phone. If she happens to be on the phone and sat next to me in the car, it can be unbearable at times and quite literally leave my left ear ringing.

Girls at work in the office downstairs are really loud too when they're all together.

Maybe it's just a Thai thing?

Edited by pinkpanther99
  • Like 2

I never noticed Issan woman shouting or Khamin which she most probably is, the only place I have heard rude, badly mannered types talking loud was in bars who give decent Issan woman a bad image.

Nonsense (though I believe you never noticed)... the Issan folk are always blaring away at top volume - especially on the phone to each other, regardless of whether they've worked in bars or not. It's not rude per se, it's just a habit, and one that I have mostly managed to break my wife of doing - after ten years. But when she is on the phone to her sister, there's no stopping her.

• Like 2

To my experience, they are talkative but not loud.

In my Thai family circle even if they have an argument they don't raise their voices and try to solve it quietly.

We are the loud ones, trying to put our point across.

That, may be, is because of frustration as sometimes we can't be understood or being stubborn we expect everybody else to follow our way of thinking and understanding things.

Exactly - have never heard or heard of a loud Isan woman.

krisb, on 13 Sept 2014 - 10:06, said:

Loud when they talk on the phone I notice.

Many Thais and westerners suffer from the say handicap, why do people need to shout, on the phone when they are designed for "normal" speech levels. In fact shouting is counter productive, it actually distorts what they are saying, technically it's called harmonic distortion caused by clipping, making it harder to understand them.

• Like 1

My Wife not only "talks for england" but when she's on the phone or gets excited the volume could be used for crowd control - she has the habit of putting the phone on the loudspeaker then shouting into it!

Still - love her to bits, and so do my friends and neighbours, I seem to be feeding half the bloody village here in the UK these days too!

I can only thank God I had the foresight to enter into an unlimited talk plan for the landline and mobile................

• Like 1

It always amuses me when we are in the village my wife will talk very loudly to another Thai lady and it turns our she is several houses away. I don't know how they manage to have a conversation over that distance. I suspect that, like some forest birds, their voices are adapted to WAG (Wide Area Gossip).

My wife and her friends have to levels when together, silence (Very very rare) or shouting. When she first came to live in Scotland we live in a semi-detached house and my neighbours thought we were arguing all the time such was the volume of her talking, it's the same when we go back to Thailand, her and her family seem incapable of talking quietly.

The Isaan dialect is much louder than central passa Thai. It is tonally out of sorts with proper Thai too. Many Thais find Thai-Isaan rude because of this loud manner, lack of courtesy for others around them when speaking and the lack of passa Thai niceties that accompany the centrally spoken Thai tongue.

I guess it's kind of the same as the way some Brits dislike the really loud, seemingly obnoxious but usually very nice Africans living in the UK. It's just the way they speak to each other.

Before I am accused of regional prejudice, I should note that my wife is originally from Isaan, but having been schooled in the central Thai dialect, being fairly well educated and a naturally courteous person, she finds the typical loud, boisterous Isaan voice annoying too.

Edited by kennypowers

My experience is that All Thai ladies talk loudly, especially on the phone, no matter where they are from!

It´s as if they don't trust the phone to carry their voice or are they trying to overcome a bad line LOL

EDIT

My wife is not from Issan but she agrees with this, especially that the line is often not very good!

Edited by laislica

"my wife and l have 1 year old baby. they live with me in wa australia for six months now. when at home she is always yelling loud but not angry but loud when they talking . same they do in her village in sisaket.

in village they all are loud but here at home l notice it more. my neighbours must think we are fighting. l not worried about neighbours or anyone else what they think. the small town we live in the people are getting to know her now.l know they like the cooking smell comes out of home. does anyone think issan are loud talkers."

The the heck is that? Pidgin English? Loud wife seems to be least of your worries, I'd be more concerned at the locals thinking you're a retard!

• Like 2

Hmmm... I must be going deaf with age. I haven't noticed that Isan women speak particularly loudly. My gf doesn't seem to. The only exception is when everyone is in a 'drinking circle', the alcohol is taking effect, and people get boisterous. But not in other contexts. [in fact, I wish her mom would speak up sometimes, she's so quiet]. Actually, living in Singapore, I find it's the Ang Mohs (farangs) that are usually the loudest, at least in a bar setting (though the Chinese 'aunties' outdo them on public transport).

Well if you 70 and she is 18 then neighbor must think it is because your going deaf so buy one of those horns for your ear. And To hell what they think are you two happy? If so Fug them.cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif next Or you could bend her over and hit it in neighbors view then the only yelling would the neighbor fighting.cheesy.gif

Just make her angry and you won't hear anything for days :-)

Lol I've almost fallen of my chair with laughter reading this . So true my mrs is from Surin and she is The same, sometimes you don't even do anything wrong and This happens .

My mate also has a Thai lady from this part of Thailand he gets the same , and he not falang so it not that as well

Edited by happydude303