what my western neighbours thinking my issan wife

davetrout

Hi Dave

I live in Village in Khon Kaen and we have a shop here, the village friends come around and some times I show them putting my hands over my ears, they are load mate, some times I twist toilet tissue and stick it in my ears and they all laugh, it's their way not know why.

• Like 1

There's an inverse relationship between a person's intelligence and their loudness. For some reason I have noticed this for years and can't stand when people speak loudly for no reason. I seem to notice it more living here...hmmm.

For example:

my boss is very smart and speaks softly

my maid is dumb as dirt and yells everything

It's science people!

• Like 1

I dont think it is just women from Issan, Thailand is a pretty noisy place in General and because their is so much noise I think people feel the need to speak loudly.

My wife is from Issan and generally she is a quitly spoken person but when she gets among her friends her voice goes up and I believe this is because she feels the need to be heard among the other loud voices. When she is on the phone to her friends up go the voices, its like they think that they are so far appart they need to shout.

I stayed at my wifes village for six months which is out in the sticks not too far from Khon Ken. I had visions of a nice relaxing time in a rural environment. Not so, from 5am in the morning until 11pm it was noisier than Bangkok. Weddings, funerals temple, dogs, Kareoke and so on.

The school where I work, for 80% of the day its a cauldron of noise, a bit of exageration but it is noisy and its not just the students. In one particular class I had the students spoke so loudly it was driving me crazy trying to quieten them down. It turns out that one of the girls was nearly deaf so spoke really loudly to the girl next to her and so the pair next to them raised their voices to be heard and so on, absolute bedlam.

The thing about Issan voices is they are loud, but sound even louder because of the way they use the language.

Anyway I have mostly become immune to the noise these days except for those stupid cars with 10 speakers and multi bass.

My friend, your not alone on this subject. we live about 4 kilometers from my wife's family, I'm always telling her, " you don't need the damn phone, your yelling into the phone, they can hear you from here without the phone".. She does lower her voice, but I still remind her sometimes that my ears are bleeding...

where did you meet her then?

met her on internet have stayed her village many times over last 6 years
  • Like 1

There's an inverse relationship between a person's intelligence and their loudness. For some reason I have noticed this for years and can't stand when people speak loudly for no reason. I seem to notice it more living here...hmmm.

For example:

my boss is very smart and speaks softly

my maid is dumb as dirt and yells everything

It's science people!

My cousins from one aunt and uncle all speak quite loudly.

Two are doctors, one is a university professor, and the other has a masters in geology.

They tend to speak loudly because my aunt is extremely hard of hearing.

It's not intelligence, it's environment and Thailand is generally loud.

Well of course, if somebody is hard of hearing I would expect the others to speak loudly. However, it is not loud in my house or outside my house. I too would speak loudly if I was in a loud environment. When I'm not, I speak softly, as do most intelligent people.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My gf is from the north. She was talking to her friend on the phone the other day and when she finished I asked her why she bothered to use the phone as her friend could probably hear her from 1km away. It went right over her head. As someone posted earlier, if there are a few women together they seem to talk even louder. Some times 2 or 3 talking at the same time. I've been talking to the gf and someone else will start talking to her and away she goes on another conversation and just drops me. Some times I think well "£uck you" but there is really no point getting upset about it. I've watched Thai women do it all the time. It could be their best friend they are talking to and if some one else talks to them then the just stop that conversation and jump right into the next one.

Mai Pen Rai

• Like 1

Some shout a lot, not just an Issarn lady thing, fishwife syndrome.

Suggest to her 'no need to shout' a few times.

Tell her 'shouting' is regarded as 'low' behaviour, play the face card.

She is now living in an alien culture and may need some guidance from you.

• Like 1

Some shout a lot, not just an Issarn lady thing, fishwife syndrome.

Suggest to her 'no need to shout' a few times.

Tell her 'shouting' is regarded as 'low' behaviour, play the face card.

She is now living in an alien culture and may need some guidance from you.

eccelent idea l will try that when l get home. face of cause
  • Like 1

I can't say I find Thais guilty of talking exceptionally loudly exept for on those terrible soaps where overacting is the name of the game.

The certainly don't have patch on some Americans.

Anyone who has travelled on the BTS will confirm that everone within the carriage can here every word they are saying.

Especially when they are talking about the HUGE condo they are going to buy or some bull about them travelling to Japan, Australia and then to New York on a big business deal...............they are unbeliveable loud.

The odd Issan bar girls tend to get a bit loud when they are drunk but most of them talk in a normal voice.

My Tilac is from Sakon Nakhon and never raises her voice above what I would consider to be normal and neither do her friends when they come round........

If I got to the stage where I felt I had to start a thread on Thaivisa asking for advice on my young lady she'd be gone and I'd have traded her in for a new model ages ago.

Would drive me nuts to be honest but then Isn't love a wonderful thing smile.png Think on the bright side...Your hearing will probably start to go as you get older and you will be glad she talks loudly

Usually a Thai doesn't talk loud. If some one does the person is impolite and people around think there is gonna be a fight soon.

How long have you been here?

Soon 14 years now. I live in Maha Sarakham.

Edited by Norlund