Burmese banks must accept ‘weathered’ US dollar notes

DagonKhan

Burmese banks must accept ‘weathered’ US dollar notes

Vice Chairman of the Central Bank of Myanmar Dr. Sett Maung has issued an order advising all private banks to exchange US dollar notes, irrespective of how old and weathered they seem. The issue of banks refusing to trade anything but crisp new dollar notes was brought to the notice of the vice-chairman by MP Aung Khiang from Nyaung U.

Source:- http://www.dvb.no/bnb/ 12th September 2014

'Irrespective of how old and weathered they seem'

They will never seem as old and weathered as some of the lesser denominations of Kyat!

Good to see Myanmar moving along though and I see they are going to replace lottery tickets with e-lottery, quite innovative.

I'm afraid Thailand will fall far behind in another 5 years, which is unbelievable considering how the two countries were placed 10-15 years ago.

Good to see Myanmar moving along though and I see they are going to replace lottery tickets with e-lottery, quite innovative.

It would be even better if they got rid of the lottery altogether. Maybe then we'd see far less families falling prey to the loan sharks they turn to in order to borrow the money to play the lottery in the first instance and who subsequently find themselves losing everything, even their homes. It's shocking how many families find themselves in that position.

It would be even better if they got rid of the lottery altogether. Maybe then we'd see far less families falling prey to the loan sharks they turn to in order to borrow the money to play the lottery in the first instance and who subsequently find themselves losing everything, even their homes. It's shocking how many families find themselves in that position.

Understand your point, but the more a country bans things the more it goes underground, nothing changes except the country goes backwards instead of forward.

Understand your point, but the more a country bans things the more it goes underground, nothing changes except the country goes backwards instead of forward.

They already have an illegal lottery, that's been around for years. The State run one has co-existed beside it for years.